Seeking players for Map Testing - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wellp, since jambi and relic have been brought up... All I can say is.. I hope like crazy that maybe hera is one of those under wraps.. I remember during the combat launch livestream, @janos mentioned in chat that he was working on hera while watching the stream in the other window.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    ITT: Visuals > Gameplay and that's why half of NS2 maps are terrible.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    ITT: Visuals > Gameplay and that's why half of NS2 maps are terrible.
    I don't believe anybody actually said that, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from..
    It should be obvious that a certain visual standard must be present to ship something officially... otherwise we could easily have double the amount of official maps - but they'd just be greyboxed.

In any case if you care about the gameplay of maps, then you should apply to ensure that they turn out in a way that you would want to see. \:D/
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    Decoy wrote: »
    I love Jambi. One of my favorites. However, since it was a community made map with a number of mappers, it becomes a legal nightmare, unfortunately. We've looked into it a couple of times, but it would need a makeover, too, as it is ugly :D It plays well though. Maybe one day...

i would have thought anything developed using the spark engine technically belongs to uwe unless the engine was licensed??
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Decoy wrote: »
    I love Jambi. One of my favorites. However, since it was a community made map with a number of mappers, it becomes a legal nightmare, unfortunately. We've looked into it a couple of times, but it would need a makeover, too, as it is ugly :D It plays well though. Maybe one day...

i would have thought anything developed using the spark engine technically belongs to uwe unless the engine was licensed??
    UWE requires a form to be signed saying they can use your work
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    yes i nitpicked 1 pipe floating in midair "Nitpick details not a priority in general" but docking have been in development since when 2012 or earlier? and its now 3 years minimum later at best and i think at this point we are free to point out something as obvious. Everyone knows how that map should be played but i can guarantee any map will play a lot better without floating pipes in mid air, and if i see more i will be sure to point them out since fixing them takes 0.1 second button click. also thank you Loki for getting rid of it, my prays have been answered this year :D
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    np, it was fixed for the xmas patch but I forgot to port it over but have done so now
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Jambi will never be made official because of legal reasons, and because it's not very pretty

Makes me happy. "Please, not Jambi" was the first thing I thought when I saw this announcement.

I don't know why people like that map so much. It's ugly in an unfinished-quake2-mod way, and in my opinion doesn't even play well.

On the other hand, everyone loves to hate kodiak, eclipse, and even refinery and mineshaft lately (?!). I just don't get it.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited January 2015
    Jambi has always been pretty fun to play for me. And it's really appreciated in the competitive scene ! but yeah it's ugly and unpolished.

btw : can you add "ESNL Season 5 Division 2 winner" in my application ? xD if that sounds too braggy just add "ENSL Season 5 Div 2 wiener" instead :D
    irony

Heard the applications are going to be reviewed soon. HYPE !
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Jambi has always been pretty fun to play for me. And it's really appreciated in the competitive scene ! but yeah it's ugly and unpolished.

btw : can you add "ESNL Season 5 Division 2 winner" in my application ? xD if that sounds too braggy just add "ENSL Season 5 Div 2 wiener" instead :D
    irony

Heard the applications are going to be reviewed soon. HYPE !

MV...MV...MV... :p
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Wiener indeed XDDD
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    If you guys look REALLY Hard, you can find a singular map announcement in this thread.
    It's well hidden.
    :D
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    *still creaming over that 2nd screenie in OP*
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Maps don't need to look pretty to play well - look at how long TFC (Team Fortress) used the same basic maps. What matters is how people can move around the spaces created, use the cover provided and so on. And rocket jump to get access to an alternative route :-)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    If you guys look REALLY Hard, you can find a singular map announcement in this thread.
    It's well hidden.

I found 2 in the thread....

The system post announces Descent...

--EDIT--

Descent?? WTF I obviously meant Derelict!!!

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Too much Jambi hate in this thread. It is not ugly and needs to be official. Thank you and have a good night.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    It's well hidden.

I found 2 in the thread....

The system post announces Descent...

--EDIT--

Descent?? WTF I obviously meant Derelict!!!

Hue. There is more to my post, puzzle it. :3
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There is more to your post than derelict and the other map that I found announced in the thread (that I'm not mentioning until someone else does hahah)? Are you saying in your post is another map announcement, as well as those 2?
    Oh shit, I just realised there is a third map announced in this thread... hahaha.

3 of the 5 maps announced already, lol?
    Suspense. I know three of the 5; but I don't see any hints in this thread. Except of course the crystal clear annoucement of Derelict
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I may have been mistaken completely.

Who knows.. Probably was..
  • MarkbassMarkbass Eindhoven Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195942Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I have applied weeks ago and still no response..
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Our first wave has been chosen. Do not worry, however, as the second will be chosen soon!
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just applied...might be too late :P
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    @xtcmen Even so you can't deny that your work is based at least partly on the artifactual work of others.

And there do the issues start. As those works were published without any kind of license we don't know if those other map contributors are legally okay with having their work being used commercial.

And as long as UWE does not know that i kinda understand why the refuse to use it. So i guess the only way to get jambi released official would to "redo it from scratch"
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Well has UWE made its decision and it is non-negotiable? If not I believe we can get around the legal issues. If they have then we are wasting our time.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Do the other mappers just not write back, or something?