What's the difference between recommended and experimental graphics settings?

VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Texas Join Date: 2015-01-11 Member: 200765Members
Curious what is different between the two settings really.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    I've got a vague idea about what it could mean, so here goes :P Experimental is a new feature/setting not yet tested rigorously and serves as a test version, while Recommended is probably related to the best performance based on your system or engine requirements... In before @Max

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    we just renamed "experimental" to "highest". um, Hugh suggested we call it experimental...but it's really just "highest". ie. we really turn everything on full blast.

eventually we do want more detailed settings..just haven't gotten to it yet.
  • KaiserfrontKaiserfront Germany Join Date: 2015-01-21 Member: 200978Members
    I get annoying micro stutter on experimental. But the only difference to recommended that I noticed is the shadow quality.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    ...I'm hoping we will have the ability to extend the fog distance to at least 2x further than it currently is. Its just too hazy right now at even medium distances. Many open areas are just a sea of silhouettes, which is especially frustrating when driving the cyclops.