So I think I discovered why observatories vanish

VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Texas Join Date: 2015-01-11 Member: 200765Members
I made one last night and pushed it around having fun with it until it got stuck somehow on the terrain, figuring the vanishing obs was still in I swam away until it was no longer drawn and returned and yes it was gone. A little later when I got my seamoth put together I went and explored a cave that I had seen nearby and while cruising around I noticed a familiar color/shape in the roof of the cave sticking through, low and behold the obs had sunk into the terrain when it was no longer being drawn.

So when obs leave your draw distance they seem to sink into the world.

Comments

• AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    Yup, made a report of that the first time. I used the air bladder/Seaglide to confirm it. Just after you get outside the draw distance it starts to sink into the terrain.
  • AzshadrisAzshadris New york Join Date: 2014-01-04 Member: 191895Members
    I had one sink into the terrain right before my eyes...
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Lol, honestly guys, the observatories are useless atm, so I'm surprised this thread has so much attention XD

I'd rather just turn on the oxygen cheat and really get in close to my observees so to speak
  • VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Texas Join Date: 2015-01-11 Member: 200765Members
    Obeservatories are NOT useless, just because YOU can't think of a reason for them does NOT make them useless, you refill your air when inside it, so drop one over a deep area you want to explore in and viola, you have air without having to muck around with pipes.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Everything sinks through the floor, not just observatories. I built a storage cube a month or so ago, and that fell through the floor of teh pod, then through the sea bed, and I lost all my precious cargo... lol
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    yeah we'll have a fix for the far-sinking issue soon
  • SpiffMoonWalkerSpiffMoonWalker Canada Join Date: 2015-02-01 Member: 201154Members
    Glad to hear this has already been reported and being worked on.
    Azshadris wrote: »
    I had one sink into the terrain right before my eyes...

I had one sink into the terrain when I was in it! Never mind the scary creatures, being buried alive underwater sucks!! (Nearly had that happen to me for real once.) I could not exit through the end that was still above the sand for some reason - just wouldn't open - and the end that had sunk into the sand was invisible and inoperable. After spending the night pondering my fate and slowly sinking further into the sand I got out my sea-glider and turned it on. Wouldn't you know it, you can apparently propel an enclosed container from within. The observatory next landed on the top of a rock column and I safely exited. When I returned later I could not find it (due to the already reported bug no doubt).

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    should be abuot fixed in experimental branch