The Cyclops is Coming - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageThe Cyclops is Coming - Subnautica

Until now, the only way to brave Subnautica’s ocean depths has been in a divesuit, a Seaglide personal-water-craft, or a Seamoth submersible. None of those are very big. Soon, that...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Comments please line up here in an orderly fashion.
  • reddragon0000reddragon0000 Pompano Beach, FL Join Date: 2015-01-22 Member: 200981Members
    Decided to take the plunge(sort of speak) and buy this game, cause the potential is great! The Ocean graphics are already fantastic, so I look forward to future updates and to see where this game will be going :-)
  • FormousFormous USA Join Date: 2015-01-19 Member: 200918Members
    I do have to imagine a lot for the Cyclops. But now we need the opposite of our new home. We need a monster willing and determined to kill us. Release the Leviathan!!! *echoes from the mountain tops*. Jk, still though, I can't wait for your Coral Snake to come along, seeing that thing twist and turn under the water in pursuit will be awesome, and definitely Jaws like. I think it should come up from the depths though to the shallows to hunt fish, and the Player. Also when Storms come, We need them to be particularly violent, like smash that life pod violent. Shake the World with Mega-Storms!
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Would be cool to see one or two more types of cyclops class vehicles, and by that I mean subs like the cyclops but look different and have slightly different beginning setups or something like that

Variety is something I'd love to see in the vehicle department
  • LyeLye Washington Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200238Members
    Damn, that thing is a lot bigger than I expected it to be, looks freaking fantastic though!
    Can't wait to play bumper cars with the ReefBacks once it gets added. =)
  • KaiserfrontKaiserfront Germany Join Date: 2015-01-21 Member: 200978Members
    I have a question for the devs. Will it be possible to upgrade the Steam version of the game to the special edition? I didn't know about it when I bought the game on Steam.
  • GarukorGarukor Österreich Join Date: 2014-11-21 Member: 199748Members
    the cyclops is really nice :D looks really good, one problem I have at the moment is that I cant enter it (well maybe I shouldnt have cheated it into my game :D) but it looks really really good :D fantastic work team :D
    Actually I have the same question as Kaiserfront... can I upgrade steam ---> special Edition? just curious
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Would be cool to see one or two more types of cyclops class vehicles, and by that I mean subs like the cyclops but look different and have slightly different beginning setups or something like that
    Most likely there won't be additional Cyclops class vehicles for the first release of the game. Those subs are a massive amount of work and if we ever do add more we want to make sure there are some really distinct gameplay reason to choose one sub over another, rather then primarily just visual differences.
    I have a question for the devs. Will it be possible to upgrade the Steam version of the game to the special edition? I didn't know about it when I bought the game on Steam.
    This is a question that has been asked a lot, but unfortunately there is just no simple way to allow people to upgrade to the special edition. Sorry about that. If we figure out a way to make it work, we will definitely make sure to let everyone know.
    Garukor wrote: »
    the cyclops is really nice :D looks really good, one problem I have at the moment is that I cant enter it (well maybe I shouldnt have cheated it into my game :D) but it looks really really good :D fantastic work team :D
    Hmm, I believe even cheating it in should still let you enter it. So, you've tried using the dive hatch that is at the very bottom of the sub, at the front end of the keel section?
    By all means , just dreaming :P
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Ah just realized, the dive bay doors on the Cyclops are supposed to be open, revealing the dive hatch to enter the Sub, but at the moment those are closed. No wonder it's confusing to know how to enter the Cyclops :)
    Wasn't that a bug on the trello? Lol
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    edited January 2015
    Never mind, just saw the answer a few posts up.
  • KaiserfrontKaiserfront Germany Join Date: 2015-01-21 Member: 200978Members
    edited January 2015
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig
    Thanks for your answer. I hope this will be possible befor you run out of hull plates. :D

@‌Topic
    I also hope the area will expand and also get deeper with the arrival of the Cyclops. The current map seems a little "compressed" for a submarine this size.
  • MaitlandMaitland West Australia Join Date: 2014-12-25 Member: 200270Members
    What if you could give a name to you're Submarine? For example, if you wanted to call it the "SS.Ass" or "Narwhal",
    it would then be displayed on it's side, using the Subnautica font.

Also, what are we to do, if the Submarine sinks into the abyss? If the player re spawns, a Seamoth may not be able to venture down to the same depth as where the Submarine is located. So maybe there could be robots that would slowly repair the Sub and bring it back to you?
    ^Late game additions, for the latter paragraph For the former, I think that would be awesome with some simple early game crafting :D Sea Serpent will penetrate the deepest regions :3
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I like the idea of naming your sub then having it display on the side of the hull. Good addition during the polishing stage before release.
    Maitland wrote: »
    What if you could give a name to you're Submarine? For example, if you wanted to call it the "SS.Ass" or "Narwhal",
    it would then be displayed on it's side, using the Subnautica font.
    Very nice idea. Going to check to see how much work that would be.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited January 2015
    Anybody found the 1000m+ pit yet? Head directly west of your life pod until you reach a largeish sand canyon, then go northish until you see the plateau dropoff. It's kind of fun descending it in the cyclops (minus all the warning sirens going off about crush depth, reinforced hull upgrades don't work yet). Hope we get a good autopilot system later on so I can set it to gradually descend into the pit while I play around on my sub and watch out the windows.

I really hope that we will be getting trenches and the like, it would be awesome!
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Anybody found the 1000m+ pit yet? Head directly west of your life pod until you reach a largeish sand canyon, then go northish until you see the plateau dropoff. It's kind of fun descending it in the cyclops (minus all the warning sirens going off about crush depth, reinforced hull upgrades don't work yet). Hope we get a good autopilot system later on so I can set it to gradually descend into the pit while I play around on my sub and watch out the windows.
    Yeah found it a few days ago. Made it quite a ways down before the game crashed. Did it in my sea moth. Would love to do it again in the cyclops.
  • VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Texas Join Date: 2015-01-11 Member: 200765Members
    Well the cyclops can only go to 200m initially(REALLY REALLY REALLY shallow for a 'submarine' if you ask me, the seamoth can go any depth apparently, unless you are going to change this. The biggest annoyance I had while piddling around with the cyclops are the low hanging or I guess just badly placed doors. They aren't lined up at all with the player model and you basically ram your head through the door hull. That and the UI of the sub, are those planned to be ACTIVE ui elements and what's there is just for demo purposes?
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    "Seamoth Energy Recharge" That's nice too :)