yaya found my old NS Forum account

13»

Comments

• Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    Drfuzzy wrote: »
    I joined the few days after the mod launched, everyone in the Gloom community was going ape ###### about how 'ns stole our alien-vs-marines mod' so I had to peek it out to see what the fuss was about. Found nothing that similar besides the fact both teams have to kill all the spawns and it happens to be aliens vs marines. I miss Gloom, sucks it died off, it was the only Quake 2 community that I know that was regularly around up until about 2 years ago. It was a community of trolls and a game about how fast you could bunny hop while spamming.

Joined the forums after I found out how popular the modding scene was. I had another account that I made when I first started playing but I forgot it, so I just remade this one so I could post some work. I now have to browse off-topic and be nostalgic about the gone and past days of NS Custom. Now I feel bitter, thanks guys.

It's funny how a few key people can keep a community toghether. Science and industry was released in 1999, and we still get toghether on sundays and play. We'll, I'm not there every weekend, but there's a few people like guyonthecouch (who I distincly remember playing against lots of times before I discovered NS!), goku and mrBozo who just stick around no matter what; and that means there's always a good game to be had every sunday. With just people like me, who play intensely for a while and then let it go for a year or two and come back; there wouldn't be a community left there.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    It's a pitty youtube wasn't around back then. There's so much good stuff from old days that's just down the memory hole. It'd be interesting if you could rumage around in your demo folders and see what demos you've kept from the early days of NS 1.0x. There were lots of excessively long games, laggy turret farming messes and server crashes from what I understand in 1.0 but this got sorted in around 1.02 or 1.03 or something when I started playing. A full game from back then, played by amateurs who didn't really know what they're doing would be very interesting to see. Probably a quarter would be won by skulk rushes and a quarter by jp hmg rushes (which were insane back when HMG did full damage to structures).

Probably the best we've got from 1.0x are some tournament .dem files from 1.04 and some EU vs US matches from 1.04 narrated by flayra:

This doesn't really capture the feeling of what it was like playing NS 1.0 as well as it would to have a full game of complete amateurs fooling around not knowing what they're doing half the time, which would be far more accurate.