Subnautica Update 8 Released! - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Update 8 Released! - Subnautica

The Stasis Rifle, Save & Load, the experimental Terraformer, Bleeders, Bonesharks, and more: A new Subnautica update is available on Steam! Grab a copy of Subnautica Early Access to play. Here’s...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    And let there be comments!
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    The feedback option is b0rked after this update. Also, the game started with "experimental" graphics rather than "Recommended" as expected. I am not 100% sure but it seems to be a bit laggier on my pc after this update.
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    edited January 2015
    Do you guys think you could either fix the key rebinding or disable it altogether? Right now it's a trap that makes playing impossible. Also, I can't locate a cfg file so can't revert to defaults by deleting it.
  • JacapigJacapig Join Date: 2014-10-31 Member: 199223Members
    Wow, look at all these features. Saving and lading is really making it a proper game.
  • DeadwoodDeadwood Join Date: 2015-01-01 Member: 200528Members
    Grats on adding save.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    How do the pipes work? I imagine they'll be connecting to structures later on, but you should be able to refill your air tanks with them. I tried to hold my air tank and right click on the end of the pipe but it didn't refill :(

What am I missing?
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    You just swim into the end of the pipe; it has a very small collision detection area, so small I end up swimming back and forth to fill my tanks. It's very prototype-y.
  • MaitlandMaitland West Australia Join Date: 2014-12-25 Member: 200270Members
    edited January 2015
    Having to find fragments before you can use the constructor, has made a large part of the game terribly inconvenient.

Isn't it the equivalent to finding the device when it's already constructed?
    The only difference being, that you need to back-tack to you're pod before you can use it.

The materials you collect, allow you to build equipment that isn't specific to one device. That made collecting them more rewarding.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I think the fragments should be less of a "guarded by dangerous creatures and hidden in caves" and more of a "go x distance, and you can find some fragments in plain sight"... The resources like copper, gold, etc., those should be guarded and hidden
    Seldkam wrote: »
    I think the fragments should be less of a "guarded by dangerous creatures and hidden in caves" and more of a "go x distance, and you can find some fragments in plain sight"... The resources like copper, gold, etc., those should be guarded and hidden
    But then what's the point in having to find fragments in the first place?
    Elements, such as Copper and Gold, are more valuable because they're used to build any device, as long as you have enough.
    Because it actually does encourage the player to explore-- granted, there should be a hint saying that debris may have fallen that could be of use or what have you, but the problem of "getting everything in 8 minutes" has been (roughly) avoided

Just needs tweaks to make it work well
    edited January 2015
    Because it actually does encourage the player to explore-- granted, there should be a hint saying that debris may have fallen that could be of use or what have you, but the problem of "getting everything in 8 minutes" has been (roughly) avoided

Just needs tweaks to make it work well
    But the one artifact you have with you at the start of the game (The Constructor), allows you to build anything else you need.
    Provided that you have the necessary supplies. But if you have to find fragments, then you can only have a limited number of them.
    That's not true... It's not called a constructor, it's a fabricator-- The constructor is the small platform that builds vehicles

Fabrication implies using parts that have been prepared in some way
    edited January 2015
    That's not true... It's not called a constructor, it's a fabricator-- The constructor is the small platform that builds vehicles

Fabrication implies using parts that have been prepared in some way
    I got the two names confused. You still catch my drift don't you?

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    Hugh, I hope you were just tired or something when doing the voice over, I thought you sounded a bit depressed maybe? Hope all is well mate :D
    I do, from a gameplay perspective it's probably not the best way to add difficulty to the games crafting mechanisms, but for now I have patience and am OK with seeing how it evolves
  • LyeLye Washington Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200238Members
    I do like the fragments, but they're still far from complete.
    Constructor Fragment and Seamoth Fragment, etc. all sound too specific. While the concept is a good implementation, I think you should label them better.
    Like, for the fragments used to make the Seamoth and Cyclops, you could have them be the same fragment entity and call them 'Engine Part' or 'Engine Fragment' or something like that. If you wanted to separate them, you could have hard-to-find propellers lying around required solely for the cyclops. Anything so that the fragments aren't as generic.
    Or like, 'Refined Metal' for the constructor that you could also use later on down the line for something else. Often times you'll find many of the same fragments, (sometimes many grouped together) but you only need one, after that, any fragments of that type are useless for the rest of the game.
    Other than that, great update! I've heard of people talking about finding Mesmers, still have yet to see one if they actually are implemented, but I'm still looking. =)
    Look in deep regions (not necessarily the caves) of the keLP forest that's where I found mine

And,yes ssomeone recently posted an idea 8n another thread identical to Lyes, which I think would greatly improve the game

Finding 4 constructor fragments is frusterating to say the least
  • LyeLye Washington Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200238Members
    Look in deep regions (not necessarily the caves) of the keLP forest that's where I found mine
    And,yes ssomeone recently posted an idea 8n another thread identical to Lyes, which I think would greatly improve the game
    Finding 4 constructor fragments is frusterating to say the least

Ah yes, I just saw that after I posted this.
    I guess it's just the general consensus. Anything really to get rid of all those white boxes lying around.
  • KayotiqueKayotique UK Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200910Members
    I really love the fragment system, it didn't take me too long to find the ones I wanted, but long enough that I felt like I'd explored a few different areas of the world!

That being said, I'd love to see a sort of instruction manual/tutorial telling you that you have to find the fragments, I spent about half an hour trying to figure out how to craft them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Yes, case in point they're certainly in need of tweaks and help

This isn't dark souls where its OK to not have a super in dePTH tutorial because dark souls is frankly simple in its mechanics, whereas subnautica just isn't

Then again I hate big turorials lol
    edited January 2015
    Aren't Fragments the equivalent of finding a completed device, except that you still need to go back to the escape pod?
    Perhaps it would make sense if you wanted to limit the number of Fabricators that you can make,
    but it feels as if we've lost our freedom to create what we want.
    I agree-- this would be greatly helped if we could find "fragments" that weren't specific to a particular part... like a "vehicle" fragment, or an "equipment" fragment etc. an equipment fragment could be used for stasis rifles, terraformers, etc.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Looks like a great update, and I love the included video.