Shutting Off the phase gates

gzhegowgzhegow Belarus, Brest Join Date: 2015-01-13 Member: 200820Members
Do you joking?
In NS2 we again must selling the 4th and 5th PG?
Is so strongly add some button, to turn PG off without sell?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm, interesting... Never really thought about this, seems like a neat idea actually :D
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I've already thought about that and it came to make me think it might be a nice idea.

Not very useful and necessary though but still interesting.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    Could seem like a useful idea for pg clutter, the res from selling it could probably do you more good though. Marines are fast enough they should be able to cover the adjacent rooms with just running if the pg is in a tech point room.
  • gzhegowgzhegow Belarus, Brest Join Date: 2015-01-13 Member: 200820Members
    edited January 2015
    so, reason is not a losing resources, losing control points when i need to push some hive is very difficult.

And for a good 2 more things:
    - Ability to reconfigure the line teleports, but shutting down will work better off than
    - Entrance to one side of the teleport sends clockwise in the other direction - counterclockwise
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    gzhegow wrote: »
    Do you joking?
    In NS2 we again must selling the 4th and 5th PG?
    Is so strongly add some button, to turn PG off without sell?

I know, right!

Always-on technology of the future... It's costing lives!
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's a very good idea. I like it.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't believe no one thought of this sooner, actually a great idea, having 4 phase gates to teleport through is very costly and very inefficient!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bit of a faff and open to trolling or accidental turn offs? Be interesting and its a good idea but I don't think its that big an issue. Sorry x
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I was talking to SamusDroid few days ago about his idea to power surge button above a PG (GUI improvement) and i added that that PG should have priority on all others (marines get to that PG first). So extanding that idea i gaved another proposal to make another button above PG to give it a priority over other PGs on the map for lets say 5 sec. It would be great for fast rush...
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Bit of a faff and open to trolling or accidental turn offs? Be interesting and its a good idea but I don't think its that big an issue. Sorry x

There are countless other ways for a commander to troll and the solution was always to eject, this applies all the same and should be treated as such.

How many keypoint positions have you lost due to having to phase through multiple positions?

You could argue well there shouldn't be THAT many phase gates in the first place but for example on ns2_veil, you have a PG in Marine Start, Nanogrid, Pipeline but you need another PG in the Dome or System, do you really want to sacrifice that PG in pipeline thats vulnerable to a well timed gorge rush? (seen this happen a 100 times).

Maybe CDT can get some opinions on this.

League of Justice I summon thee

@Decoy‌ @GhoulofGSG9‌ @Asraniel‌ @Zavaro‌ @Obraxis‌ @WasabiOne‌

EDIT* This shouldn't be too hard to implement if it gets a go ahead right? Just put the phase gate in a de-powered state like when the power node gets destroyed but can easily be switched on and off from the commander UI, heck you could even make it costs teamres if you really want to balance or add a cooldown timer, so many ways to get around the trolling aspect @MuckyMcFly‌
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    If marines hold nano with pg, and someone makes a gate in the neck, and i beaconrush everyone i temporarly "sell" nano drop cuple meds/ammo and have to navigate back to nanos gate in time to cancel the "sell" so we dont lose that location, with 4 gates its even more management and timing involved.

This is how it could look like:
    v9qXqeC.gif

@MuckyMcFlyhere on/off is better since u can have it on stand-by until they actually attack nano, i rather accidentally turn it off then accidentally sell it if not canceling the sell in the right time but if its on opposite side of recycle it minimize that risk.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2015
    Maybe we could make a choice for players where thay wish to go? Something like entering PG will bring up a MAP with buttons on top of PGs that would select destination?
    4yJln4B.png
    edited January 2015
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    Maybe we could make a choice for players where thay wish to go? Something like entering PG will bring up a MAP with buttons on top of PGs that would select destination?
    4yJln4B.png

You could even have the PG's numbered and bind the pg locations to your numkeys 1 - 9 to avoid any clunkiness/slowdown/delay you would get if you need to use a mouse to highlight the PG :)

EDIT* Could you make the PG's numbered in your image just to see what it looks like @CarNagE1‌ :)
    edited January 2015
    4yJln4B.png

sorry guy, but it is too strongly for junior players.
    i cant give it THE FUCKING WAYPOINT, and you promote adding to game COMMANDER CRY::

SHUT DOWN YOUR PGS, DUDES, LETS GO TO SYSTEM WAYPOINTING!!!! SHUT DOWN!!! NOW!!! RUN, DUMMIES!

commander disabling of the gates will helped to moving stupid rines to position!
    gzhegow wrote: »
    4yJln4B.png

sorry guy, but it is too strongly for junior players.
    i cant give it THE FUCKING WAYPOINT, and you promote adding to game COMMANDER CRY::

SHUT DOWN YOUR PGS, DUDES, LETS GO TO SYSTEM WAYPOINTING!!!! SHUT DOWN!!! NOW!!! RUN, DUMMIES!

commander disabling of the gates will helped to moving stupid rines to position!

Moment of madness there?
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited January 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    You could argue well there shouldn't be THAT many phase gates in the first place but for example on ns2_veil, you have a PG in Marine Start, Nanogrid, Pipeline but you need another PG in the Dome or System, do you really want to sacrifice that PG in pipeline thats vulnerable to a well timed gorge rush? (seen this happen a 100 times).

That's exactly it though: Too many gates. Having many many phase gates is not a good idea. On Veil? PG in Marine Start, Nano, Pipe. Get a PG in Dome ASAP and recycle Pipe. Or you can change your PG from being in double to being in System. No reason the gate needs to be in Nano, just close by.

Let's say you have 3 gates. #1 is in base, #2 is in Nano, #3 is in Dome. You want to do a rush. You can start a recycle on #2 in Nano so that marines phasing will go straight to dome. Just cancel the recycle before it's actually finished so you keep the gate.

I think the 'off' button would be harder / more confusing for new players to handle and you'd end up wasting a lot of res. Commanders would turn off a PG instead of recycling it, then if an alien stumbles across it, they damage it (less res back for recycle) or destroy it (res wasted). And then, what's the downside to building a PG in every single room and just turning on the ones you need? I could micro so that I could send marines to each room in the map I wanted. We'd rarely lose an RT if I could micro well enough. It's not uncommon that commanders in pubs can't handle dropping structures and medding the marines, adding more for them (especially new commanders) to have to juggle does not sound like a great idea.

Generally I won't ever put up more than 3 gates. 1 in each lane. If you have 4-5 gates, they're probably unnecessary. Instead of 'turning off' the PGs, just recycle the ones you don't want/need. Honestly, it's not something that I'd suggest the programmers spend time on. Don't fix what's not broken.

If you guys really think it's a good idea, then why doesn't someone turn it into a mod and try it out on a server? If it goes well and people really like it, perhaps it will be looked into then.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was thinking of if it was players that could turn them on off, because in my eyes all commanders are perfect.. hahahaha =))
    edited January 2015
    Decoy wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »

That's exactly it though: Too many gates. Having many many phase gates is not a good idea. On Veil? PG in Marine Start, Nano, Pipe. Get a PG in Dome ASAP and recycle Pipe. Or you can change your PG from being in double to being in System. No reason the gate needs to be in Nano, just close by.

Let's say you have 3 gates. #1 is in base, #2 is in Nano, #3 is in Dome. You want to do a rush. You can start a recycle on #2 in Nano so that marines phasing will go straight to dome. Just cancel the recycle before it's actually finished so you keep the gate.

I think the 'off' button would be harder / more confusing for new players to handle and you'd end up wasting a lot of res. Commanders would turn off a PG instead of recycling it, then if an alien stumbles across it, they damage it (less res back for recycle) or destroy it (res wasted). And then, what's the downside to building a PG in every single room and just turning on the ones you need? I could micro so that I could send marines to each room in the map I wanted. We'd rarely lose an RT if I could micro well enough. It's not uncommon that commanders in pubs can't handle dropping structures and medding the marines, adding more for them (especially new commanders) to have to juggle does not sound like a great idea.

Generally I won't ever put up more than 3 gates. 1 in each lane. If you have 4-5 gates, they're probably unnecessary. Instead of 'turning off' the PGs, just recycle the ones you don't want/need. Honestly, it's not something that I'd suggest the programmers spend time on. Don't fix what's not broken.

If you guys really think it's a good idea, then why doesn't someone turn it into a mod and try it out on a server? If it goes well and people really like it, perhaps it will be looked into then.

@Decoy‌ It depends on what you deem unnecessary, having a phase gate at a vital techpoint that needs to be recycled for a forward push sounds counter productive to be honest.

Say if you lose momentum in your forward push, you've recycled pipeline PG for the sake of funnelling marines to your dome PG, which you then lose in an alien counterattack, you've lost both positions which severely hampers a marine's ability to come back into the game.

This could possibly attribute to stalemate pushes which we see often in pub servers and sometimes comp as the commander and his marines don't necessarily want to risk losing their forward position knowing that their techpoint phase is lost completely.

This issue is negated by powering down your techpoint PG for the meantime, if your forward position is lost, its not as punishing as you can simply power up your techpoint PG again.

This has happened in countless games and in my eyes a gameplay mechanic that needs to be looked into more closely.

Clicking on a phasegate and de-powering it is no less counter intuitive than navigating the UI to select power surge to be honest if anything its easier as you don't need to go through the UI, just select the PG.

I believe this will change strategies dynamically, introduce new tactics and fun gameplay if pulled off correctly.

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    i would be willing to make a mod if someone pointed me at an already existing mod that added a button
    edited January 2015
    I think, what the your SDK is too hard to use these.
    Lol, you need create SUBAPPLICATION for create crosshairs!

so Half Life 1 access is "replace file and play"
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited January 2015
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting... Never really thought about this, seems like a neat idea actually :D

Here's a post regarding phase gates from summer in 2011.

Welcome to the forum guys!
    This is not a new idea, and you will find several threads over the years about it.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    RAR! Who dared to summon me?!?!? teehee, jk

Love the active topics and this one has been discussed a few times. Pretty sure turning them on/off was overall decided by uwe and playtesters to be not the best solution, also there had been some though over prioritizing a phase gate. I'm always game to hear thoughts and suggestions again, but not sure this one would be ever be right. I mean there is something to be said about smart and tactical placement of the gates. if you can cover/defend them you probably shouldnt be placing them, no?
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Instead of being able to turn on/off a Phase Gate... why not be able to power down a room?
    Suddenly, it becomes a very real, serious decision in order to remove a PG from the "rotation".

However, I think the cooldown and the resource cost is a very good balance.
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    Siege mod has 3 "frequency" for phase gates. By default all phase gates (PGs) start on Frequency 1 and the commander can change phase gates to be on different frequency. So only PGs on the same Frequency are connected. This works without a problem and I really like the concept which already has a working version. I think this frequency concept should be incorporated into NS2 game.

However a slight change I would request compared to siege, is that changing the frequency should cost Team Res as it's currently free to switch frequency on siege. I think 5 res to change a PG individual frequency. Considering two phase gate frequency will need changing whatever amount selected will ultimate be twice the cost - so 10 res for two PG be on its own channel.

What are peoples thought about this?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Siege mod has 3 "frequency" for phase gates. By default all phase gates (PGs) start on Frequency 1 and the commander can change phase gates to be on different frequency. So only PGs on the same Frequency are connected. This works without a problem and I really like the concept which already has a working version. I think this frequency concept should be incorporated into NS2 game.

However a slight change I would request compared to siege, is that changing the frequency should cost Team Res as it's currently free to switch frequency on siege. I think 5 res to change a PG individual frequency. Considering two phase gate frequency will need changing whatever amount selected will ultimate be twice the cost - so 10 res for two PG be on its own channel.

I like the idea. I don't like that it adds complexity to an already hard to learn game. It would be a slight buff for marines and I do not know the balance implications it might have.
    Nordic wrote: »

I like the idea. I don't like that it adds complexity to an already hard to learn game. It would be a slight buff for marines and I do not know the balance implications it might have.

That's the beauty of it, by default all PG are on frequency 1 so the commander doesn't have to learn something new. It should be an option available in the background for ppl to learn on their own time but available for the more experience commanders.

Shouldn't really impact gameplay too much. Currently i see commanders selecting PG, recycling them and cancelling them before the recycle finished (when they have many PGs) just so that players can rush through to the alien hive.

This frequency concept would mean that the marine would either need to spend res so the two PG are on the same frequency (costing 10 res and another 5 to change back to default) or have another PG (15 res i think) and set that to a separate frequency -this way costing at least 25 res (PG + changing to PG to separate frequency if 5 res each).

It's not as confusing as i may be making it sound and it shows clearly on the map the phase gate connections.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I dont like the idea of anything from siege being incorporated into vanilla (sorry). I also don't get the point, and no, i'm not about to hop into a siege server to find out.

It sounds to me like this would make... essentially multiple pg paths which are not connected like an "X" where only 2 are connected out of 4 (as an example). I don't get the point of that other than to build more pgs than you should ever need, and to cater to commanders who actually are not as capable as you would describe. Seems like a rookie trap. Just like siege. I also don't see how this would be relevant in standard ns2 maps.

As they are, I think smart commanders are perfectly able to do what they need w/ phasegates and it already does have built-in mechanics so that newbs can use them and vets can use the high skill ceiling to use things like recycling and timing.. which really requires a lot more skill than what I believe you're describing.

If I'm wrong about my understanding about the mechanic, please elaborate.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree particularly with the rookie trap. It ties in with unnecessary complexity that does not really add much benefit.
    Automatically dismissing something that comes from siege just because its from siege makes you come across as petty and as if you have a vendetta against siege, but that's besides the point.

previously it was possible to change the order phase gates went by rerecycling and then cancelling, but this was stop for whatever reason in an update. Meaning if the commander wants the phase gates to be in a certain order he will have to sell a PG and build a new one, he may have to repurchase a couple of them just to get the right order.

Another issue with the current system is that if there is 4 PGs (there shouldn't be a need for more than 4), and the 4th PG is being rushed, marines using the PG to get to that last PG often block each other as they phase especially if many phase at the same time -something i see often.

The frequency concept may lead to the commander having two PG at the main base, creating a "V" style phase gate path but that will start to cost a bit of res -at least 25 res if it costs 5 res to change frequency. An "X" style connection as you mention won't really work if that's what you are trying to say?

The frequency concept also allows for a PG to remain dormant on a separate frequence similar to the turn on/off idea this thread discusses as well as give the marine commander greater control.

Commanding for the marines is not complex nor does it have a big learning curve. It may sometimes appear difficult as a quick response time may be needed. If a person plays on the field until they understand the concept of each structures and see what other commanders do in certain maps then it's relatively straightforward.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, if I can get the same effect, for free, by recycling/cancel my phasegates, why would I spend res on this frequency stuff? - Keep in mind, by your own admission, we're talking about experienced commanders.

Another thing I like to do - is make dual gates. I.e. in nanogrid on veil - I put 2 gates in nano, not only to make it harder for the aliens to take it back (grinding two gates is harder than one), but also so marines can choose where to phase to.

That's another 15 tres investment. So I don't see what your change would do for me personally.

But you know, make it a mod, see if it sticks.