Don't make the biomes radially symmetric. It's super confusing.

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
It seems like any direction I go, I first see green kelp, then red grass, and the biome map seems like it confirms it. This makes it really hard to figure out which direction I went, and makes it seem like it doesn't matter. I'd really like it to matter which direction I travel, and to get a sense of direction from what I see around me.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I haven't explored everything yet, and still haven't found the reefbacks. Largely because I always seem to end up in the same place, no matter where I start and which direction I head in...

There needs to be more distinction at the edge of an area, that uniquely identifies which 'edge' of the biome you are at.

I have pretty much only found the kelp forest, the red floor area, and the fungus mungus huge tree things area. I know I have found other areas in the past, but the last few trips underwater have yielded only these locations..

The compass isn't all that much help either... I still get massively lost and end up going in circles.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Interesting. Now given the assumption that there is no map available what would you do in real life? You crash on an uncharted planet. Compass works, beacons work, but no map. How do you find your way around? Any ideas are welcome. Keep in mind that drawing a map as you go (World of Warcraft style) wouldn't work too well because a significant portion of the game is going to be underground.

Some wild ideas I've heard before: ziplines, outposts, laser links, and echolocation for caves.
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    edited January 2015
    When I find a point of interest and I don't have a beacon on me, I use the compass to navigate back to the escape pod, paying attention to my heading. I then reverse the heading and skim the ocean floor until I find the area. In real life I would look for landmarks, it's the first thing that everybody usually does when trying to track their way back to a place they've been to once or twice.

Changing the terrain every time we start the game does not make the use of landmarks possible, aside from the occasional recognition of a terrain pattern; like that half round of cave entrances that is usually in the shallows. Until we can record terrain with the game save, navigation is going to be very difficult.

As for mapping, is there any way one can get a wireframe representation of the map? I'm thinking of Descent again, which had an excellent mapping system. If there was some way to convert the generated map/terrain to a wireframe, then use icons to depict biomes, that might be good enough as a start. Being able to set waypoints and view locations/notes with beacons would make it even better.

Another idea, if a map and a camera function manage to make it in the game, tie the picture in with location--that would be the ultimate note illustration.

Ironically, much of ocean floor on Earth isn't mapped because nobody has bothered to map it. :smile:
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    LumpN wrote: »
    Interesting. Now given the assumption that there is no map available what would you do in real life? You crash on an uncharted planet. Compass works, beacons work, but no map. How do you find your way around? Any ideas are welcome. Keep in mind that drawing a map as you go (World of Warcraft style) wouldn't work too well because a significant portion of the game is going to be underground.

Some wild ideas I've heard before: ziplines, outposts, laser links, and echolocation for caves.

Do it like descent. Make a 3d map we can rotate. Just decimate the voxels to something really low res, and bring it up in space so I can spit in around.
  • LyeLye Washington Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200238Members
    I'm just glad you guys have the giant ship crash landed in the middle of the ocean, I always just use that as my reference.
    If drones or robots are introduced in the game, maybe you could create one that sits ontop of your lifepod, or floats on top of the water like a lilypad, and when activated, hovers a story or so above the water with a downwards facing camera that can be viewed through your PDA. Using a grid pattern, you could easily see where you are in conjunction to your pod and other shallow bodies of water.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    edited January 2015
    Did you really use the 3d map in Descent? I always found it just as hard to navigate as the real environment. Perhaps even harder because of the lack of landmarks and textures. I just used it to get a rough idea about where the mission objectives are. A general heading if you will. Other than that I found the map useless. Personally I don't want to go there again.

I would say that it is reasonable to expect players to bring beacons or other navigational equipment on an expedition. The game almost teaches you to do so. For convenience you'll always have the escape pod beacon leading you back to safety but for everything else you are on your own. And I do think that is a good thing. I wouldn't want to encourage players to speed across the entire map in a couple of minutes without paying attention to anything. Yes you can go fast. But no you shouldn't. Granted there is not enough to do right now so you just craft the Seamoth and race around. In time that will change.

By the way: the map is not random. It is masterfully crafted by our exceptional level designers. You don't get this amount of visual fidelity from procedural algorithms yet. If you don't believe me have a look at the cave system inside the giant tree in mushroom forest. However we do randomize the spawn position within reasonable bounds. You will recognize some landmarks if you play long enough.
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members

Add the ability to assign colours, numbers or symbols to beacons and make it clear how far away they are. Perhaps add a toggle to switch them on/off to prevent cluttering if there are many. That way people will be able to map the terrain however they like, triangulate their position, mark interesting things etc. More challenging than a simple map but also more rewarding.
    I used the Descent map to judge where secret rooms might be (at least initially). Later I used it when I got lost. Similar environments will confuse anyone. I think the map was only confusing because of the complicated level design, but that's something I eventually got over. Subnautica's environment has a clear top/bottom, so a wireframe map shouldn't be anywhere near as convoluted, but I only suggested this form because it looked like the easiest option to implement.

I thought there was variation in the terrain using set pieces in the biome, or the biome locations were rotated. Either way, I didn't mean to offend anyone on the team. However, in my perception as a player, the environment is confusing without some indication of where I have been. Beacons can address that, but without a unique identifier, they will quickly become a problem of their own. What if the beacons only streamed location data in, which would be registered as tick marks/ID on the compass? That would give more of an exact lateral heading, and the beacon billboard animation could be shown when the player is in the area.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    For me, I don't need a map, I just need Biomes to have distinct 'edges', to aid my navigation.

Take the red grass area. It is essentially a a circular valley, and is quite easy to get confused as to direction. As all sides have a slope on them. Just make the edges slightly distinctive, maybe blending a bit more with the next biome.

I do use beacons and stuff, but the trouble is I can't tell the distance from one to the other, trying to navigate in a 3d environment underwater or even in space, with only a 2d screen means that beacons all render at the same distance. If you drop more than a few beacons, you end up with a load of blips on your screen which just confuse you as to what is what. Maybe have beacons display their distance from the player too, and a way to distinguish one beacon from another would be good.

I currently use a combination of beacons, the life pod and the ship for reference, but it's a pain in the ass having to come up to the surface to work out where the ship is, when your mucking around on the seabed at 400m+ below the surface. I don't have any real solutions, but I definitely have a problem with navigation, but then, I am not the best navigator in real life.

If I was in that situation, I would have 3d depth perception, and I would be dead inside a day... Making the whole game moot. :D

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    reh wrote: »

Add the ability to assign colours, numbers or symbols to beacons and make it clear how far away they are. Perhaps add a toggle to switch them on/off to prevent cluttering if there are many. That way people will be able to map the terrain however they like, triangulate their position, mark interesting things etc. More challenging than a simple map but also more rewarding.

I think this is the approach we'll take for now. A full 3D map is possible, but would take a lot of work and it's not clear it's really necessary or much more useful than a good, customizable beacon system.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    ^I like this the best, what reh wrote. The feeling of being lost should be integral to the game and not easily vanquished because of a high tech map the player could potentially craft
  • squeebsqueeb Join Date: 2009-05-06 Member: 67360Members, Constellation
    By the way: the map is not random. It is masterfully crafted by our exceptional level designers. You don't get this amount of visual fidelity from procedural algorithms yet. If you don't believe me have a look at the cave system inside the giant tree in mushroom forest. However we do randomize the spawn position within reasonable bounds. You will recognize some landmarks if you play long enough.

Happy about this. I'm not a fan of procedural level design.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Let us name each beacon!
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MisterYoon wrote: »
    Let us name each beacon!

Or at least have a map or a beacon hub where we can turn on and off the beacons we want to see. the map would only display the over world no under ground places. when i explore caves i would like a paint or a way to mark where i have been and where i need to explore. like a underwater paint spray or a ink sac to throw at a wall to say "i have explored this already"
  • ptronptron On an Island Join Date: 2015-01-12 Member: 200795Members
    I think mapping is sorely needed and would be of great benefit.

In real life a human in an unknown environment will create a map where there was none, even if as simple as drawing lines in sand. With the advent of writing implements and paper it became much easier. This is basic human nature, a successful gaming experience will strive to satisfy the exploration gene/behavior by implementing a basic exploration strategy, mapping.

In the 23rd century it seems likely that a stranded individual would be provided a way to create a map. I would suggest Fabricating a player worn transponder that facilitates mapping relative to an absolute point of reference such as a non-re-locatable beacon or the mother ship beacon. The simple alternative would be to reveal those map areas explored without such a transponder or other device.

FarSky has a good mapping system where you start out with a blank map that fills in as one explores. This works well.

If the player is expected to create their own map (out of game) then a unit of distance traveled is needed in Subnautica.

Re: Beacons
    If I were coding the Beacons I would have them display textual data as a Compass overlay only when centered zero degrees relative (to player) provided player has compass. Magnetic bearing is known so not needed in Beacon Data. The needed data is... Beacon ID (or color), Distance, perhaps a user entered short comment.

Color Code is a very good idea, reduces text and confusion.

Should Beacons be limited in quantity? One can always repurpose one when needed. If this is the case then Beacon ID or description should be editable. For example, "Lava Cave" might be changed to "Gold Horde".
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Whatever we do with mapping, cluttering the ui with a minimap would ruin the experience of the exploration and discovery for me, however ironic that is

Mmaybe an item the Player carries or can pull up to trigger it instead of it being always on
  • ssjsonic1ssjsonic1 Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148729Members
    Are there plans to have the biome names fade in upon crossing the border, à la Dark Souls?

Also, I like that it is disorienting. It will take many hours to learn the map and become familiar, but I plan on spending many hours in this game. Once a map becomes fully learned, the fun begins to decline (cue teraforming and community maps). The process of building a mental map of the world is a fundamental concept that makes video games enjoyable to begin with.
    I don't why everyone is so hooked on a map? Neither the OP, nor Myself talked about maps. We just don't want each individual biome to be symmetric, we want them to be visibly different so we don't get too lost within a single biome.

Beacons, maps etc, are not what we are asking for. Just a small differentiation in the vegetation towards the edges of the biomes will solve the issue the OP raised.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I don't why everyone is so hooked on a map? Neither the OP, nor Myself talked about maps. We just don't want each individual biome to be symmetric, we want them to be visibly different so we don't get too lost within a single biome.

Beacons, maps etc, are not what we are asking for. Just a small differentiation in the vegetation towards the edges of the biomes will solve the issue the OP raised.

I was actually asking for something slightly different from that. Look at this map.
    biomeMap_2112.png

You start in the center of the map. Every direction you go, the biomes you encounter are the same. This makes it impossible to determine which cardinal direction you've gone by what biomes you've encountered, and impossible to get any intuitive sense of direction.
  • IncidentIncident Join Date: 2015-01-16 Member: 200866Members
    edited January 2015
    On the subject of getting lost:

What if certain fish/sea beings naturally navigated back to their homes/nests/whatever? The players learns which kinds of fish do this, then, when they find themselves in an area they want to return to, snatch one up before heading home. Once they've resupplied, they head out, let the fish go, and follow it back.

Now, this doesn't do anything a beacon wouldn't, and it's obviously not as reliable (the fish isn't going to wait around for you, and there's always the possibility it's going to get eaten by something) but it fits nicely into the theme of trying to work with the environment to survive, and provides a slightly roundabout way to 'mark' an area you happen across while exploring.
    ^That's a neat idea. What if there were fish that migrated in a certain direction during the day (like Northwest) and reversed their direction (Southeast) at night? Maybe it's due to what they feed on...like coral that is just right at a certain temperature, or a specific type of plankton that follows the warmest water.
  • DoniDoni Germany Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200665Members
    edited January 2015
    reh wrote: »

Would be cool if you could add this to the to-do list for the next update ;)

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @moultano‌
    I agree regarding the radial layout.. it entirely sabotages navigating by cardinal direction and removes what could have been recognizable landmarks.
    moultano wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

I was actually asking for something slightly different from that. Look at this map.
    biomeMap_2112.png

You start in the center of the map. Every direction you go, the biomes you encounter are the same. This makes it impossible to determine which cardinal direction you've gone by what biomes you've encountered, and impossible to get any intuitive sense of direction.

I hadn't even realised about the map. I just thought I was always going in the same direction :P