Crashers are annoying and a major reason I don't bother going into caves

VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Texas Join Date: 2015-01-11 Member: 200765Members
At least in the shallows, I really don't like their concept at all and think they hurt the exploration to a pretty large degree, I know that if I even think I hear their noises I instantly avoid that area because their aggro range just seems so damn awkward and they are audioally really REALLY annoying. I would rather there was a predator in the shallows that stalked the caves instead of these respawning exploding fish that you can't even outrun.

I just don't get them either, why would a living creatures way to defend itself be to EXPLODE and kill itself? It really feels like the I'm sure expertly crafted caves are wasted with these things everywhere impeding exploration.

Comments

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I think DEVs have some future ideas on how to clear the caves, maybe a serum or something like that that would let you explore the caves.
  • VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Texas Join Date: 2015-01-11 Member: 200765Members
    Kinda wish they would remove the crashers until they add a way to pacify or at least remove their nests so that they won't respawn. Popped into quite a few caves only to quickly turn and nope my way out after hearing their sounds.
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    edited January 2015
    There are two ways I use. Find the approximate location from above and dig down into their aggro range then swim up and wait for them to explode harmlessly against the cave wall. The other method only works on one at a time. Bum rush the bod and attach a floater to the crasher, then just sit back and watch him swim helplessly in circles and blow up seconds later. Usually doesn't do anything to the floater, so I call that a symbiotic relationship. :smile:

The stasis gun is an obvious balancing tool, so that should even things out in the future when it gets implemented.
  • DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    agree with the OP that the crashers are an awkward concept. it doesnt come over as alien but more a little childish comic creature.i can see no sense in its behaviour - exploding and immediately re-spawning. how ? why ? :D its ok that it will balanced with a stasis gun but i still dont get the concept - it seems to be so unscientific and artificial.
    and exploding them with floaters or tricking them from above wont prevent them from res-pawning

the first time i met one it was fun but after a while ... its not so fun
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    I basically agree with the opinions expressed here, so I'm going to reduce the number of crashes in some of the safe shallows caves. I think another issue is there is no practical way to avoid triggering crashes, so maybe we can do something about that.
  • DoniDoni Germany Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200665Members
    If you trigger not more than one crasher at a time you can kill it easily with the knife.
    Just swim backward away from it and time your attack a little bit ;)
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    Agreed with all this here. I love spawning in a shallow area when I start a game, the only downside is that I know I will likely have to deal with crashers as my initial supply nodes start to dry up.
  • ptronptron On an Island Join Date: 2015-01-12 Member: 200795Members
    Making the Crashers sleep at night would help.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    edited January 2015
    I haven't seen that creature yet and couldn't find them on some caves on which i set beacons. Could somebody show my screenshot or video of that one?

----

Oh that exploding one.. i thought there is new creature added on last beta patch.
  • ExsulExsul Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201060Members
    On one hand, I kind of want the crashers nerfed as well. On the other hand, they serve as a reminder that even the shallows are not free of danger. I kind of feel like you should be afraid of caves since many different species will likely use them for shelter. Just like when moving through kelp forests, I keep going at top speed on my seaglide to avoid stalkers from lessons learned. I ended up in one large cave with giant purple mushroom looking things, very deep down, with a seamoth in failing health, and not many air tanks - I was super jumpy - it made that game very real to me.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I like the idea of having them sleep at night. Also their noise is very loud, and should play less often then their current frequency. When going into these shallow caves, you should have maybe 1 or 2 of their warning sounds, then hear them when they launch at you.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Anyone get reminded of shriekbats?

Urtragian_Shriekbat.png
  • MirandolaG12345MirandolaG12345 Earth Join Date: 2015-01-26 Member: 201071Members
    I like the ideas made, and I think The stasis rifle is a good way to take them out of your way, paralize them, get what you want and leave. Good thing they now put copper outside caves. The Gold tho.....
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    edited January 2015
    The gold is easy, there's a certain place where the shallows drop off to about 100 meters? and there are caves with gold and stalagmites(or stalactites, don't remember)

Though just to say, I agree crashers could use some tweaking

Right now, the biggest problem I have with the game is ... that it needs the mechanics that were promised. Just will have to wait :P
    Here's the thing though guys, they are IMMUNE to the stasis rifle, and apparently having terrain put on them with the terraformer, which is weird in EVERY sense.
    Balancing isn't really worth it as new things are bring added that will change things, so, we should wait and see
  • trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
    So basically you are saying "screw challenge, it discourages me from doing things". Well yes, yes it does, that is the point.

Now, what the devs DO need to do is add a proper incentive to actually enter caves, but I am sure that will come along in time. Bottom line though, don't complain about challenge, that is a dangerous attitude, and it should not be spread around.
    on trello there is a card that says "Full gameplay pass on jellyshroom caves"-- Im sure all the caves, the deep sea ones and the shallow ones, will have something to offer the player
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I could just be crazy, but in an earlier experimental build I was able to enter any cave with crashers in it without triggering them..all I had to do was stay below or level to their nest thing.

I usually had to find an alternate entrance into the cave, but was able to do this about 90% of the time.

Doesn't seem to matter in recent builds tho
  • SpiffMoonWalkerSpiffMoonWalker Canada Join Date: 2015-02-01 Member: 201154Members
    Not saying there is nothing to tweak about crashers... As for there being no sense to their behaviour though I see real world precedents... a bee will die after it stings you, so why will it attack you and sting you? Instinct. For the good of it's species. So that your species remembers not to mess with it's species.
    Yeah but that makes sense for bees, there is a hive of thousands of others, crashers are just, themselves in their pod thing whatever it is.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    Maybe crashers are the pod, the the fish is just a drone created for defense!

I mean, who knows how deep that hole goes, all those pods could be connected underground in a giant hive-like network!

They may very well be the underwater equivalent of bees!
  • SrCumferenceSrCumference Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3740Members
    In my mind I was confused as well, but I thought maybe the nest is actually the life form in control, and it has mind-controlled the crasher to protect itself. Other than that, I do have trouble justifying it's self defense mechanism if the nest is not what is being defended.

On another note, I have recently had them still blow up and damage me after I slice them open. Anybody else?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Vahnkiljoy wrote: »
    Here's the thing though guys, they are IMMUNE to the stasis rifle, and apparently having terrain put on them with the terraformer, which is weird in EVERY sense.
    I'll check that next time I boot, but last I checked they will get frozen if you have them run into the edge of the stasis field. It's a bug, but you can work around it with clever placement of the spheres.
    Yea, they CAN be trapped in the bubble, but if you shoot the bubble ONTO them and they are inside it, than it doesn't even affect them unlike everything else in the game for some reason.