NS won't install / appear in steam

SlorrinSlorrin Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183517Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I followed the instructions. I have steam installed, I installed half-life, then downloaded and ran the NS1 installer. It said it did not detect a valid install of Steam. not sure why, possibly because i installed steam on my D: ?

Anyhow, I said install anyway, install completed, then I opened Steam and of course it's not there.

How would I go about fixing this? I really want to play NS1 again, it's been a decade since I last played.

Comments

• omghaxomghax in a cardboard box. Join Date: 2014-04-06 Member: 195181Members
    Did you install in half-life\ns not half-life\mod?

Also, you might want to have a look at this - the newest HL update broke NS: http://gather.evolvens.com/
  • tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    How to fix this I'm not sure but I think the problem is that recent updates to Steam changed the registry key that stores where Half-Life is installed - and the installer doesn't know that the registry key has changed so when it looks for the old one and doesn't find it it just thinks that Half-Life isn't installed.
  • part12studiospart12studios Join Date: 2018-08-10 Member: 242775Members
    Hi there, I'm WAY late to this thread, but figured I'd chime in and say i get the same thing.. HL is installed by the installer fails to see it.. i imagine at this point it's abandoned.. I just wanted to show my youngest son what the original was like and hopefully play it with him! :)
  • tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    Hi there, I'm WAY late to this thread, but figured I'd chime in and say i get the same thing.. HL is installed by the installer fails to see it.. i imagine at this point it's abandoned.. I just wanted to show my youngest son what the original was like and hopefully play it with him! :)

Did you figure it out? I think those installers have some special command line flag to just extract the files.