Wallwalking needs a tweak

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
A small change, but useful. While holding shift as a skulk, you should be able to navigate complex geometry just as well as when you're running full speed. Currently you can't quietly climb over slight elevation changes in the wall without having to run full speed, which gives your position away with sound.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    aeroripper wrote: »
    A small change, but useful. While holding shift as a skulk, you should be able to navigate complex geometry just as well as when you're running full speed. Currently you can't quietly climb over slight elevation changes in the wall without having to run full speed, which gives your position away with sound.

It's basically any overhanging wall whose bottom-most edge is at an angle greater than or equal to 90 degrees that gives you trouble. If map makers would bevel their edges, this wouldn't be a problem!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @BeigeAlert‌ are all map makers aware of this?
    What about existing, official maps that lack bevelled edges on overhanging portions? Is it easier to go through and modify all these, or tweak the movement code slightly to fix this?
    I do agree that this is really damn annoying.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2014
    Bevelling all edges is not feasible for a number of reasons. Every pillar and strut would have to be bevelled, no square wall or ceiling supports at all. All models would have to bevel into the walls, and floors, so no boxes, crates etc.

It is what it is. Wall-walking worked much better in NS1 because of flat wall, due to HL engine limitations, but NS2 would no longer look like anything vaguely realistic if you bevelled everything. Unfortunately it is a compromise that has to be made.

Edit--

From the code side, you can make it automatically walk around edges greater than 90 degrees, but the code required to create the ability would require a large number of traces and a lot of maths to figure out where you are trying to go, so you would probably find walking round edges to be jerky & hitchy. It would be very complex to write for what it brings, so ultimately, it is a compromise.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Bevelling all edges is not feasible for a number of reasons. Every pillar and strut would have to be bevelled, no square wall or ceiling supports at all. All models would have to bevel into the walls, and floors, so no boxes, crates etc.

It is what it is. Wall-walking worked much better in NS1 because of flat wall, due to HL engine limitations, but NS2 would no longer look like anything vaguely realistic if you bevelled everything. Unfortunately it is a compromise that has to be made.

Edit--

From the code side, you can make it automatically walk around edges greater than 90 degrees, but the code required to create the ability would require a large number of traces and a lot of maths to figure out where you are trying to go, so you would probably find walking round edges to be jerky & hitchy. It would be very complex to write for what it brings, so ultimately, it is a compromise.

Doesn't have to be THAT beveled... even as little as 8 units does it. Most areas in ns2 have this already, but some are lacking it (ie the central drill in mineshaft, can't easily climb up around onto the railing from below).
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Realistically, all the maps wouldn't be edited for this one fix. A coding solution would be required.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited July 2014
    why not have the option to have it so you cannot fall when holding shift while walking, your skulk will stay on the surface no matter what, until you let go of your walk key or just have a new bind where you can hold down a key and you can also run without falling for sure
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yes, surely the 'stickiness' could just be slightly increased for skulks while walking (no idea how this is handled in the code, I'm just gonna say stickiness). They should obviously still be able to dettach from surfaces while walking if they push away from it, and 'stickiness' while running should remain the same, as you're currently able to run around/up 90 degree angles no problem.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Main problem is ceiling walking/running. Being used to Alien vs Predator fluid ceiling motion, it was a huge step back in NS2. Firstly the view isn't inverted (giving you the actual sense of being on a ceiling), so you're basically standing on a ceiling while your FOV is actually hanging of the ceiling. Some people complain that view is confusing then, but i disagree. Anyone who played AvP a lot knows what i'm talking about.

Secondly, if there is any kind of bump on the ceiling, in 90% of cases you'll fall off when you'll need that the least. It was so annoying i basically stopped using ceilings as means of movement. Or if you're trying to get from the wall on the overhanging edge to another vertical wall, you'll again have massive problems climbing up as the game just doesn't predict any grip there. One of such most obvious places is the right side of East Junction on Veil (the hallway part going from Topographical to C-12). It's a wall, 90 degree overhang corner and then vertical wall continuing into an arch. But more such places are all over the maps. I could never climb there quickly without falling off.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    All versions of walk views were explored in beta, the "right side up" version was very disorientating and made it hard to kill marines. I personally am happy with how it is now but agree that those few moments you appear to get stuck are annoying but not game breaking.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    The main problem with the current wallwalking is, the movement direction is too "literal", unlike the "interpreted" movement used in AvP games.

In NS 2 when facing perpendicularly away from a wall, Skulk would attempt to walk literally into the air, and end up falling off the wall; While in AvP, the alien would instead walk up the wall (if oriented normally) or down (if hanging upside down).

Only jumping and using the "no wallwalk" key should detach the Skulk from walls.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's exactly the problem with NS2. AvP had super fluid motion over obstacles, making aliens truly a speedy creature that could actually move on walls like an alien that you should be afraid of. Be it rough walls or ceiling, it didn't matter. Skulks just feel like clumsy bastards, falling of walls and ceilings just because game can't predict 2 more pixels of wall ahead. Making usage of celing basically impossible, because you'll pretty much always fall off the ceiling in front of marines when you'll need that the least. I never ever had that in AvP. That just ruins Skulk's mechanics basically. It's meant to be on ceiling and walls, instead, you are forced to use justw alls, because they are more reliable. But then you may just as well just hop on the ground with a bullseye painted on your forehead...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Making you throw up every time you changed direction*.
    As cool as AVP is, i hated the wallwalk. it was TOO Good.
    Well, i just can't immerse myself into knowing i'm walking on ceiling if my view is still rotated the way i'd walk on the ground. Especially since you know the actual player model is rotated, but the view isn't. It gives a feel of horrible inconsistency. Plus the constant dropping from ceiling because of a tiny bump in the surface makes me hate using it. It's just not fluid and that makes it useless. Ground is always flat, but you're not suppose to be there because you're an easy target. You're suppose to be on ceilings, but the fact is, ceilings don't work well at all because they aren't flat. You can't move efficiently over them because of the constant ongoing risk of falling down in the middle of an empty corridor and getting shot in the face easily. So why even bother having ceiling walking other than being there stationary and dropping on a marine. It's a rather pointless mechanic as it is. And i give AvP as an example constantly because that game was the exact opposite of this. They basically innovated the movement over all surfaces and the way i remember it, it was super fluid and it made you feel like the alien you're controlling is really a bad as alien motherf**ker. Where with skulks, i have that feeling only sometimes. And that's wrong. Aliens are always portrayed as bad ass creatures from space and then you see a skulk humping a corner just because game mechanics constantly decide it should drop down as soon as it climbs that segment of the map. It's silly. And i've seen that so many times it's not just a glitch anymore but a global gameplay mechanic issue.

And i'd forgive the non rotated ceiling view if walking on ceilings would actually work. But it just doesn't. And that's why i don't like either things about it. Give the aliens total freedom to move, not just boost jump from the walls and be stationary on ceilings. That's unnecessary limitation. If they could've done it right 13 years ago in AvP2 where alien movement really felt badass and properly fluid as something you'd expect from an agile alien. I'm sure there must be a way to at least improve it in some way, because that falling of the ceiling because of a 10cm edge that breaks the "attached" mechanic is just idiotic. Make it less strict and make it an approximation. Because you don't just fall off because you pressed crouch accidentally, you also fall down if you move forward and look tiny bit too much down, because lets face it, you want to know what's below you. But you just can't, because as soon as you do, game assumes your motion was formed in a downwards trajectory and it detaches you from the ceiling automatically. Well, i didn't want to get detached, i just wanted to see where the hell i'm going and if any marine is below me. Creators of AvP solved that "problem" in a very simple and effective way. "Attach" hotkey. It solved all the motion problems and made wall or ceiling motion a fluid smooth experience that made aliens such memorable and terrifying enemies (looks did their part as well but truly and really not knowing where they'll jump out made them for what they were. Where with skulks, you just know they can't move that well on ceilings and you just expect them to lurk in some corner to bite your ass. And that's already in the are of "too predictable". And you don't want to be predictable in games like this.
    edited September 2014
    I'd just like to throw a couple of things out there -

- When you spend a lot of time upside-down, your brain automatically adjusts how you process the visual information and re-orientates what you actually see. It's quite possible that an exotic life form like the skulk has the neural ability to perform this adjustment on the fly, constantly. So biologically speaking I have no problem here, it's not inconsistent in the slightest.

- AVP gave a lot of people motion sickness due to the constant shifting of the view.

- AVP was a vastly shallower and slower-paced game in terms of combat.

- Walking on the ceiling isn't your greatest strength as a skulk, nor should you be doing it THAT often.

- You can't travel around 90° angles while shift walking on the ceilings. That's the problem. And we were totally fine and on track, discussing it.

But yet again, you've extrapolated a tiny problem to everything else, blown it out of proportion to the point where you're spouting patently false statements like "aliens can only be stationary on ceilings". You know that's completely wrong right?

- Your last post just reeks not of l2p, but "learn to move using WASD" - you're complaining that if you press W to walk forward and off a wall, you walk forward and off a wall.

All you seem to do lately is whine about imaginary problems that only seem to affect you. Whats going on with your life brah?
    Bump, because this needs to be fixed.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    It's not something that can just "be fixed" with the snap of a finger. And you've already opened a thread in the internal forums @BeigeAlert, which should have been sufficient.

However, going off what Soulrider said...

Something like this that seems easy I imagine would introduce a lot of bugs. Not that we can't ever do it, just that one of the programmers would need to look into exactly how much of a pain it would be / if it would be worth it. If it's a simple change, it can be looked into. If it's going to be extremely time intensive or break a lot of things, it may very well not be worthwhile.

Give the programmers some time to get around to it and determine it.
    Decoy wrote: »
    Give the programmers some time to get around to it and determine it.

That's all I wanted, but there's been no indication at all that this has even been considered to be glanced at. This thread was started back in July, and yours is the first official CDT post on the matter.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that "ermahgerd ceilings and 90 degree angles are impossible" but I think that pressing wallwalk should make you "perfectly sticky." I remember it being a lot more "sticky" than it is now, to the point where you needed to point almost 90 degrees away from the wall to detach. Or was it perfectly sticky at one point, so as long as you're holding it you can't detach? I can't remember. But since it was changed quite a few patches ago, I hardly ever use it for its "sticky" feature now, I just point the camera at the ceiling/wall if I don't want to drop off. I only use it for its silencing feature.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited January 2015
    Ceilings are broken: you can't stick to them. You fall down from every bump, and there are lots of bumps on the maps.
    Should be fixed.

PS: Picked ceiling at random: Docking - Ball Court. It is nightmarish.
    edited January 2015
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that "ermahgerd ceilings and 90 degree angles are impossible"

...Have you TRIED it? That specific spot that I pointed out... TRY it. It is simply not possible to climb up and around to the sides from the bottom without using the walls, and without letting up on shift.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    Can't say I've ever tried it in that spot specifically, but maybe I will now that you insist ^_^ .

Edit: Are we talking about mineshaft central getting onto the railing from underneath? Challenge accepted.

Edit2: I played around around the rails in Mineshaft, and you're right. In particular if you're standing at 90 degrees perpendicular to a railing, it seems impossible to walk onto the underside, at least on the ones in central drilling. For some reason, at an angle it kind of work sometimes (although, obviously it's really difficult on railings), but even with messing around with it for a few minutes, I was unsuccessful at making it from a perpendicular position - wallwalk or not. Video coming later today.

Video:

I'm not sure why it looks particularly horrible on youtube, like something recorded on a bar cellphone in the early 2000's.... but you get the idea. The troll beam move I was talking about starts around 1:15. You can see me trying to do it over and over without and then with wallwalk.

I agree though, generally it's pretty hard to walk on ceilings, and you tend to fall off a LOT. You can argue that it's "skill" but it could use just a little bit of polish in some way. Not sure exactly how though :-D .
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2015
    @Decoy‌

A *possible* implementation, that won't *fix* the issue, but might lessen it somewhat, would be to increase the step height of a skulk while wall-walking.

Currently, a skulk steps up over obstacles 16 units or under ok, anything taller is considered a blocking obstacle that needs jumping over. If you make the step height say 32 units, it should enable the skulk to walk over larger extrusions than currently, although you then lose the benefit to stop 'behind' anything that is 32 units, as you will not be blocked by it moving.

It is something that could be changed with a couple of lines of code, but would need to be tested to check it doesn't cause other gameplay issues, rather than bugs.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    It's not something that can just "be fixed" with the snap of a finger. And you've already opened a thread in the internal forums @BeigeAlert, which should have been sufficient.

What "internal" forums?
    coolitic wrote: »

What "internal" forums?

Playtesters get access to a "secret" section of the forums to post things like map-related bug-reports and discuss issues with the game -- like this one.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Pls, push it into game wishlist at least.