Just curious

SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
Quick question, how many vehicles are actually planned? We have (flippers, sea glide) the Seamoth, which is a nice little machine, and the anticipated Cyclops-- How many more are thinking of being added? How much smaller or bigger? It would be awesome to see a kind of boat that has a portion that is underwater where one could look through glass at everything while being protected

Comments

• LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Right now our top priority is bringing more gameplay to the game. That involves many things but might not involve more vehicles for a while. The free dive, Seamoth, Cyclops combo goes a long way in terms of exploration. There is mech-like exosuit planned however.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Ok, I just was wondering because I would love a lot of choice between the different stages of vehicles
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    Modifications would be a cool feature to the present vehicles as well: lighting, speed, better maneuverability, greater pressure tolerance, etc. There could even have something like deer whistles (supposedly stop deer from charging your car) that drive hostile creatures away, or attract edible fish, or attract defensive fish in the way pilot fish are attracted to larger predators.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    The Cyclops is supposed to be upgradeable by modules you can craft. I guess we could take that a step further and have NFS-like vehicle performance upgrades to engine, hull, and such.
  • LyeLye Washington Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200238Members
    ^Obligatory game music.
    Sea glide could use some interesting upgrades
    Built in beacon perhaps?
    Built in mini storage ?
    Built in claw to hold something like a peeper to lure stalkers etc
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    I've been toying with the idea of ROVs; similar to the "WSKRS (pronounced "whiskers"; Wireless Sea Knowledge Retrieval Satellites)" that formed an information network around the DSV 4600 in Seaquest (if anybody can remember that show). What if you could upgrade the Sea Glide to be an AI/remote vehicle? In the Sea Moth, it would serve as a pet/holographic projector for an auto-map. In the Cyclops more units could be built/controlled to provide a sensor network. This would provide a buffer zone for dangers such as thermal vents, fast currents, low ceiling, large sub-eating predators, exploding fish, etc. One could program it to avoid hostiles, distract stalkers by stealing metal, rally symbiotic fish, even help the player learn about the behavior of wildlife by changing it's personality profile.

ROVs could investigate wrecks with tight spaces a diver couldn't fit through, go into radiated areas without worry of exposure, and dive into cracks of the seafloor in search of hidden underground rivers and giant caverns with isolated species of life.
    ^That would be pretty cool, maybe if you only need one bit of sand you could just get out your remote, get your robot to go get the sand, dock it, and then go grab it so you don't have to actually leave wherever you are? IDK would be interesting (I guess my idea implies the ROV would have an inventory of their own)
  • MaitlandMaitland West Australia Join Date: 2014-12-25 Member: 200270Members
    edited December 2014
    Aeroflux wrote: »
    What if you could upgrade the Sea Glide to be an AI/remote vehicle?
    ROVs could investigate wrecks with tight spaces a diver couldn't fit through, go into radiated areas without worry of exposure, and dive into cracks of the seafloor in search of hidden underground rivers and giant caverns with isolated species of life.
    So it'd be like the SpyCam from Perfect Dark? But you're real body would be vulnerable to attack.
  • MaitlandMaitland West Australia Join Date: 2014-12-25 Member: 200270Members
    edited December 2014
    So far I'm liking the music in the Subnautica Soundtrack. It sounds similar to the ost from 'The Wolf Among Us'
    "The Wolf Among Us" (Original Soundtrack):
    Crane's Business Office, Prologue, Bigby's Apartment, Beast Inside, and Aunty Greenleaf.

I also enjoy the music from GoldenEye / Perfect Dark.
    I think this type of music is best described as being a mix of Electropop, Classical, Techno, and Elevator Music?
    Music (though not my style) works well with the game right now I think too-- I just hope there are some more tracks since there aren't that many in game that I can tell
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
  • KayotiqueKayotique UK Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200910Members
    I'm all for NFS style upgrades, would be really awesome. Exo-suits sound incredible too!