What are the chances of a hotfix?

2»

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    No promises but Matso is working on fixing the problem for good with the ability to download mods from the server if steam can't download them and the client can't download it.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    There is the idea of letting clients download whatever the server has so they can play no questions asked.
    This would be the next small step in "steam resilience" towards a complete workshop fix.
    Whenever a client would get missing required mod, it'd try to download the mod from the server. The client would need to inherit the unix download time from the server (which is the long number after mxxxxxxx_thisnumberhere in the mods folder name). For the rare case a client downloads an outdated mod from a server (to always allow a connection) it needs to be aware which one is the newest.
    Simply using a http server for those downloads on the game server itself might be a problem tho (it will be abused by the dark side).
    Half life had an integrated download ability that was extremely limited in bandwidth before they added the option for defining a http download location. It took a while but you could play after waiting.
    Whatever the method, the goal would be to allow people to play.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    edited December 2014
    180 more occurances of this happening from 12/23/24 - 9:35 pm - 12/25/14 - 2:41 pm. Noticebly less players even attempting to join.

The server, hardly ever, if at all, gets beyond 10 players at once.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    @kKyle , please stop posting your server errors over and over again... we understand, and you're just trolling at this point.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited December 2014
    Hey @GhoulofGSG9 & @SamusDroid,

As at least Ghoul knows, I still have the tendency to look into problems even if I judge the chance low that they exist. (like now for instance)
    Because there is always a chance im wrong. So I just did a quick check and I actually have a theory which may or may not help.

What did I do?
    * Delete all client and server logs.
    * Cold start a server a ns2 server so it loads up all the mods it has. (to maximize chance a client fails)
    * Delete all client mods.
    * Start taking process monitor dumps.
    * Connect to server.
    * Copy logs to backup folder & go back to step 1 till im in server.
    * Repeat process a few times.

Things I noticed:
    * When connecting to a server ns2 is kind enough to check and downloadall mods you are subscribed to, not just the mods the server runs. (I did direct connect to the server, so I started ns2 with joining the server right away)
    * Mods not on the server may or may not be fully downloaded with multiple runs.
    * Mods fail to download, client VERY quickly disconnects and server gives the by now known error of missing mod. The process monitor dumps DO show non server maps try to download during this time period.
    * Mods download, no error whatsoever. Mod folder has downloaded but incomplete mods the server doesn't run. (like old subscribed combat mod maps)

Theory:
    * When the workshop does not fail, it downloads all mods it needs to connect to server. It also download any other subscribed mod till connected.
    * When workshop fails, it downloads mods from server. Fails to download mods the server does not have (like combat maps) and gives up.
    * So technicly the workshop is still as crap, but the client just wants to much from the server.

Of course if the above is indeed what happens, then we would either need to client to try the workshop a few more times or ignore any mod errors it has if the server does not need it.
    But as I lack the coding know how to see if what I describe is accurate, or if I am misreading logs, im down for now. Hope it helps. :)
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    May as well close the thread if you're doing this @decoy . I know how you like to admin :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Decoy & @‌Ironhorse
    I just had a 2nd small idea. If you pick a client which is not subscribed to any mod, in theory, it should not have issues if the above theory I described is correct.
    I dont have time to test, probably for a few days, so I decided to share that now also.

There is also the slim mad chance that the client checks mods it has already downloaded, but the server never runs. In that case the missing mod would be a server warning like 'hey the server doesn't have this crosshair mod which is in my to mount list'. As the workshop "doesn't exist" the client knows of no other place "and misses a mod."

But I lack even more methods to check THAT one.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    matso wrote: »
    What happens is that if the server has a mod version that the client misses, the client will try to download it from Steam ... and it does not try hard enough; steam habitually drops anything from 25% (good days) to 90% (sales days) of all attempts to download from it.

So the number of retries the client does is set too low in the 272 client because the client code was rewritten in 272 and the retry count was copied from the server settings - which are lower because we don't want the server to delay a mapchange just because steam isn't in the mood.

Will be fixed in 273.

:bz :-bd :-h ^:)^
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    But @ATF‌ doesn't believe that's the case, so we'll have to go with "fixed steam workshop in 273"
    edited December 2014
    233 more instances of this happening from 12/25/14 2:41 pm - 12/26/14 5:32pm.

Server is now considered dead.

thanks.

edit: well, you know.. secretly, honestly. Behind all my madness. I'm actually grateful for the error and the timing of it. I'm actually having to move housing on January 4th and if it weren't for this, I'd probably take a break anyways and the server would be mad at me rather than me be mad at the cdt
    *steps out of the shadows*
    Raising the retry workshop limit, will not fix the backups method of failing to download non server mods. :p
    Just saying. :D
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    But @ATF‌ doesn't believe that's the case, so we'll have to go with "fixed steam workshop in 273"

Your personal experience is that retrying works eventually. In reality this is just you being lucky.

I do crave for your entertainment in these difficult times, please keep it up.

• simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    If it is indeed a Steam problem, and not NS2's, would it be better to change the error dialog that pops up to something more descriptive? Cryptic error messages don't help the user get a better experience from the game. Instead of "missing required mod", why not "Failed to get a required mod from the Steam workshop. Steam workshop might be overloaded, try changing your download region in Steam download settings"
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    @matso Not sure if my problem is related. I only run 2 mods and it seems like the console messages don't make sense. When running in sandbox or offline mode, I get:
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/IronhorseR0x/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m812f004_1418931985/
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/IronhorseR0x/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mdef7c27_1393748621/

The top one is NS2+ and the bottom one is a crosshair. And both mods work great.

However, when I join an online server, I consistently get this in my console:
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/IronhorseR0x/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m812f004_1418931985/
    [132.020] Worker 03: Error: Couldn't mount " from path 'C:/Users/IronhorseR0x/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mdef7c27_1418931985/' as the path does not exist

So NS2+ works but my crosshair mod will not. If you look at the workshop folder name of the failed mod, it took the first half of one mod and combined with the second half of my other mod, thus making it not found and not load.

Not sure if this is relevant, but figured I'd post in case it helps you troubleshoot.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    LOL
    Did you really rename your windows user account to that?? ... *changes locks*
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    @matso Not sure if my problem is related. I only run 2 mods and it seems like the console messages don't make sense. When running in sandbox or offline mode, I get:
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/IronhorseR0x/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mdef7c27_1393748621/

The top one is NS2+ and the bottom one is a crosshair. And both mods work great.

[132.020] Worker 03: Error: Couldn't mount " from path 'C:/Users/IronhorseR0x/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mdef7c27_1418931985/' as the path does not exist

So NS2+ works but my crosshair mod will not. If you look at the workshop folder name of the failed mod, it took the first half of one mod and combined with the second half of my other mod, thus making it not found and not load.

Not sure if this is relevant, but figured I'd post in case it helps you troubleshoot.

Thanks .. that is indeed weird... hmm ... wonder if it is because you have NS2+ active locally AND get it from the server...

Could you try to connect to a server not running NS2+ and see if you get the same problem?

And see what happens if you deactivate NS2+ in Mods, then connect to a server with NS2+?
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited December 2014
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »

I had the same problem. I solved it by moving the removing my mods in workshop folder and putting it back again. I think cut and paste outside and back should work, don't quite remember now, but otherwise removing the whole folder and redownloading from workshop should fix it.

@matso In my case, deactivating ns2+ did not work nor did subscribing to other crosshair mods from workshop.

273 is looking nice. drifter/cysts through structures, clients not "retrying hard enough to download mods", allowing a "backup server" which is a fastdownload server alternate to steam, and fixing the editor save sometimes spawning triangles.
  • bew556bew556 USA Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187957Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there any new information on what is causing the "missing required mod" issue? Is this a Steam issue or an NS2 issue? I have tried several possible fixes mentioned on the forums and from searching online to no avail.

It started happening after 272 patch, and I've never subscribed to a ns2 workshop mod. I also had two friends purchase this game during the sale, and neither of them could join servers because of the same error. It is very discouraging, and I've been checking this thread periodically throughout the past week, but have not seen any recent updates.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    bew556 wrote: »
    Is there any new information on what is causing the "missing required mod" issue? Is this a Steam issue or an NS2 issue? I have tried several possible fixes mentioned on the forums and from searching online to no avail.

It started happening after 272 patch, and I've never subscribed to a ns2 workshop mod. I also had two friends purchase this game during the sale, and neither of them could join servers because of the same error. It is very discouraging, and I've been checking this thread periodically throughout the past week, but have not seen any recent updates.

It's a Steam issue that happens a lot during sales. Even though you don't subscribe to mods the servers you play on probably do. The problem should be solved for good in a patch or two though.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    KKyle wrote: »
    and fixing the editor save sometimes spawning triangles.
    One of my favourite "wtf how could this possibly even be a thing" bugs
    \:D/ ^:)^
    edited January 2015
    edited January 2015
    edited January 2015