Suggestion, 3D cartogrophy system.

FragmagnetFragmagnet Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72873Members
Later on in development when new stuff is being implemented, a form of navigatory aid via sonar would be cool.

An item that sends out sonar pings (with cool visual effect too because you know you want it) and feeds them into a tab on your PDA showing a 3D representation of the area.
That is what I would like to see.

However some predators may hear this as a dinnerbell.
Others may be afraid of it.
And some (dolphin type things) may hear it and become curious as to what it is and follow it around.

Also we still need a suggestions board.

Comments

• NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Sounds reasonable, but possibly too easy - a sort of technological explanation for automap (which for all i know exactly what the game would have).

Still would work great for me if combined with more interactive cartography (sonar mapping gets the general landscape outlines, but landmarks are responsibility of the player)

Also would be nice to have the sonar mapping operate with realistic LoS (if ping bounces of the hill, nothing behind the hill is mapped)
  • FragmagnetFragmagnet Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72873Members
    Nairit wrote: »
    Also would be nice to have the sonar mapping operate with realistic LoS (if ping bounces of the hill, nothing behind the hill is mapped)

That's what I was thinking as well.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    edited December 2014
    we wanna do something like this..but exact implementation may be tricky. with pinging, i'm not sure how much information we'd have to store to really make it useful as a map.

is that what you guys are talking about? some sort of automap system?

and for now, let's keep this board as the de facto Suggestions board - if we separate it, that just decreases the chances that anyone will look at it.
    edited December 2014
    Less of an automap, and more of something you activate when you need it.

You'd be swimming around and you're a little confused as to how your surroundings look. (inside a cave for example) So you ping your sonar.

The data wouldn't have to be TOO detailed or complex.
    It'd be a spherical line of sight, and the map wouldn't be just like OH MAN YOU CAN SEE THIS INDIVIDUAL ROCK. Nah. just all the major 3d points in space.
    So it'd be flat planes forming your surroundings on the map viewer
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    hmm that sounds like it'd only be useful in low vis situations? like dark caves?
    edited December 2014
    yeah that's the idea. You run out of light in a cave. Yet you still have your sonar. So you aren't just literally stuck in pitch black waiting to drown.

However when you get your big sub, it could have a larger version that is more accurate and covers a wider area so you can map the ocean.
    i see. yeah that could be neat. noted.