Build 272 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Kamilko47Kamilko47 Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187882Members
    Linux non-English font bug still there?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Kamilko47 wrote: »
    Linux non-English font bug still there?
    As you can see from the change log : Nope.
    There's an issue with how the engine decodes utf8 on Linux, and seeing as it is a pretty core part of the engine it would unfortunately require a lot of work and come with a lot of risk.

I recommend using a dualboot setup of windows (preferably win 7 64 bit) if you wish to utilize non-English fonts in NS2 - you will also enjoy the substantial fps boost and stability that comes with it.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    Sweet patch! Glad to see so many improvements to server performance!

At least now no one can dispute the value of larger (30+) servers! No matter what your opinion, they are great for stress testing server performance!

P.S. personal thnx to wooza and ATF for helping with these changes!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    To celebrate Wooza's efforts, I will play on that server tonight (AEST), and not feel guilty.

PS. I have updated the patch in the wiki.
    EDIT: plugged the wiki
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @RapGod don't you just disable all mods??
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    So... my movement modifier key is... "A."

And the new "press movement modifier + wasd or whatever it is as com to move the view" breaks my A.

I know, I'm probably the only one ever to use A as a movement modifier. I also use Z/X as strafe left/right, not A/D. Nevertheless, at least as alien com, pressing A while commanding does not drop cysts (or activate the drifter ability, or do what it's supposed to be on the other command pages) and instead moves the view to the left. I'm not sure why/how this is occurring, but I'm guessing the logic needs to be fixed if A is actually the movement modifier key. Haven't tested yet, but could it be the same effect if the movement modifier key is Q, D, or S?

Or just make it an option in "General" please...

I guess I'm not comming until next patch. Having to click to cyst or to use the drifter ability or to shift things takes away too much time and is no fun.

Let me know if you need my full keybinding or config to reproduce this.
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2 servers now also show up in the steam server list.

I don't seem to get all the servers in my steam server list? No filters on either. I mean, I definitely see a lot of the servers just not all of them.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is a fantastic changelog, I shall enjoy checking out the performance improvements first-hand (and with my 980 overclocked, a RMA upgrade/replacement for my 780 which was faulty) - hopefully the CPU usage improvements will be really noticeable :)

Great job, CDT! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all! :)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great patch! Can't wait to test performance
    Please, please, please fix the "Waiting for slot" window. This has been frustrating me for so long. It should work just like TF2 does. For example,..., kicks you out, and then says the server is full. Then you have to join the queue again and hope you get the number 1 spot. This is so annoying, especially if you want to get into one of your favorite servers. Please fix this. Thanks!
    Yes please!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    So... my movement modifier key is... "A."

And the new "press movement modifier + wasd or whatever it is as com to move the view" breaks my A.

I know, I'm probably the only one ever to use A as a movement modifier. I also use Z/X as strafe left/right, not A/D. Nevertheless, at least as alien com, pressing A while commanding does not drop cysts (or activate the drifter ability, or do what it's supposed to be on the other command pages) and instead moves the view to the left. I'm not sure why/how this is occurring, but I'm guessing the logic needs to be fixed if A is actually the movement modifier key. Haven't tested yet, but could it be the same effect if the movement modifier key is Q, D, or S?

Or just make it an option in "General" please...

I guess I'm not comming until next patch. Having to click to cyst or to use the drifter ability or to shift things takes away too much time and is no fun.

Let me know if you need my full keybinding or config to reproduce this.

Why don't you just rebind your commander hotkey grid? Seems like a relatively easy fix from your end to me.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    So the "performance" meter on the server list seems to have been changed. I notice on right click there are now numbers for "Score" and "Quality" under "Performance:". What do they measure?
  • TheCopTheCop FR Join Date: 2013-11-16 Member: 189398Members, WC 2013 - Gold
    thanks CDT! You are the best!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Game feels smoother and I am liking the look of minimal infestation. Good job guys.

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Martigen wrote: »
    Just chiming in on these two:
    * Changed to only allow reset game votes in the first 3 minutes of a game to discourage using it as an alternative to concede
    * Changed to allow conceding after 7 minutes instead of 10, and made it easier for mods to override

The very first game of 272 I joined had people asking for a reset after 3 mins when the comm went awol (or didn't know what he was doing, I was on other team).
    Later tonight, fourth game in, newb comm was was not dropping things. Other team asked for reset, 3 mins had already passed, but couldn't. Painful game drew out, bad impression for the 4 greens on the server.

I fully understand the reasoning, but 3 mins is too soon for a pub. Maybe make it 7 mins?

On the Conceding... I'm totally with you in that I hate it when you can't concede a clear loss early game. However, I play a game at least once a week where the consensus is to concede but we can't, and then we turn the game around and win. Happened just before the 272 update last night for me. We had an awesome game that I thought was a clear loss, suggesting people conceded at the 10 min mark... but we started turning it around before then, and the game was great. I was wrong, and said as much over voice.***

So, respectfully, I ask:

* Make Reset 7 mins
    * Return concede to 10 mins

Mart

Edit: Sorry I forgot to say, really appreciate all the other changes! Game feels smooth and beautiful. Awesome patch :) (and Steam server support! *orgasm*)

*** Incidentally, like classic NS1, these are the games people remember -- when they came back agains't the odds.

Actually... How about making reset end at 7 and concede start at 7, so you can always reset OR concede?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    sotanaht wrote: »

Actually... How about making reset end at 7 and concede start at 7, so you can always reset OR concede?

That would be the common sense option :D +1
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why is there even a minimal time required for a concede vote?

I understand the concern that you don't want to encourage players to give up "too quickly" - but it's still a democratic decision, and you're usually better off starting a new game instead of continuing to play one which can't be conceded (yet), and those who already have given up just goof around - or not? No rant, really; Just a thought.

On the original topic, namely the change log: I'm looking forward to play tonight! This really does sound promising.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited December 2014
    NS2+ fails to download (error 28, missing required mod) and I can't connect to any servers. Deleting NS2 appdata folder won't help. Any ideas?

---
    About time limits, there should be no time limits for reset (that "reasoning" makes no sense) and none for concede too (although 5 mins is ok, 10 too much). Let people decide what they want and don't limit them needlessly.

gj and thanks to the CDT for doing UWE's work for free :neutral_face:
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Why don't you just rebind your commander hotkey grid? Seems like a relatively easy fix from your end to me.

I was thinking about that yesterday, but my brain is pretty wired to hit the keys relative to Q and A for commanding. I'm not sure if I can get used to the new grid, but I'll try it today. Nevertheless, that shouldn't happen. There's obviously something wrong that needs to be fixed. A is not even my strafe key, so the view shouldn't be going left... it should "just work" the way it is.

Update: Instead of getting used to WERT...SDFG... I decided to just go into the menu and unbind "A" as a movement modifier temporarily while I'm comming. Still please fix in 273.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited December 2014
    finally that wall got fixed on mineshaft, was such an eyesore just like this on docking still is...
    tXbcHbA.png
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    @RapGod don't you just disable all mods??

It says I require some mod. I've turned them all on... deleted appdata and the cache folder.. So now it says yes all over the mod screen... still won't work.. the mods are not my own mods - I've never used any (besides the server-side mods).
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Decoy wrote: »
    @Hozz you should try manually downloading it from the workshop. As in, download it from the workshop while you are not in NS2. That might work for you.
    Didn't work, it just fails to dl and then says "unavailable" on the mod menu after manually subscribing on Steam.

It's only ns2+, all the other mods work fine.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @hozz‌
    De activate all your mods in the in game mod menu.
    Un subscribe from all ns2 mods through steam in steam workshop.
    THEN delete your workshop folder

Try connecting, and if you have the same problem use -verbose in your launch properties, fail to connect like usual them quit and post your technical support zip file
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Anyone getting "missing required mod" with NS2+ failing to download from workshop:
    Unzip the content of this into %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\Workshop\ then try again.
    Only works until next ns2+ update.
    ATF wrote: »
    Anyone getting "missing required mod" with NS2+ failing to download from workshop:
    Unzip the content of this into %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\Workshop\ then try again.
    Only works until next ns2+ update.

Ill try that... but ns2+ seems to load just fine...
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Apply that to whichever mod you have failing then, ask someone to zip it up for you...
    The cause is the workshop, you can wait, if you prefer that.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    This build broke a bunch of shit workshop wise for me, a lot of my mods are no longer downloading from the workshop at all even though they are still up there, says "unavailable" in the mods list or the name doesn't show up at all for some of them. Custom crosshairs from workshop ceased working on most of the servers I play, had to install them manually and now they work, so it's not a black/whitelist issue.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    Just a note from my site: The workshop mod download issues might be not caused by this build but by the usual workshop file servers stability issues at sale times ;)
    ATF wrote: »
    Apply that to whichever mod you have failing then, ask someone to zip it up for you...
    The cause is the workshop, you can wait, if you prefer that.

It's server-side mods. Doesn't seem to matter what server. Again, I run no mods of my own. I'll just wait a patch or two...