Tanks & Fins taking Room in Inventory, and repairing wearable gear.

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Hi.

I'll Make this quick.

It doesn't make sense to have the tank, and fins take space in the inventory because you are wearing these. Now if I take them off for any reason outside of placing them in storage that is when they should be in my inventory.

Just something else I wanted to speak about, and that is repairing tools, tanks, fins, well pretty much everything? I noticed by the way that the knife will break after so much use which is great to see this early in the game, and just wondered if this will be extended to wearable gear as well.

Just thinking...

Comments

• dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    Good point.

The first set of fins should not show up in the inventory - if you craft more it should.

As for tanks I'd say up to 3 should be able to be equipped - any more than 3 should go into the inventory.
  • FragmagnetFragmagnet Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72873Members
    I agree with this as well. However the tanks should still reduce movement speed obviously.
  • caelincaelin Join Date: 2014-12-19 Member: 200119Members
    edited December 2014
    Gotta say I'm not a fan of the knife breaking so quickly. One of my major pet peeves in games is the fragility of durable goods. I get the scarcity thing, but c'mon.
  • FragmagnetFragmagnet Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72873Members
    caelin wrote: »
    Gotta say I'm not a fan of the knife breaking so quickly. One of my major pet peeves in games is the fragility of durable goods. I get the scarcity thing, but c'mon.

Then I shall suggest this.
    For items which can be done so.
    Repairing them instead of going from broken to not broken states.
    Things like the knife would be Dull to Sharp.
    And as you use the knife, it gets less sharp.
    And objects require a certain sharpness to be cut.
    Boomdone.
  • caelincaelin Join Date: 2014-12-19 Member: 200119Members
    You've got a molecular fabber, should be able to just run the knife through again to come out pristine. For that matter, why the need for emery? Metal gets fed into the hopper, gets reformed, and voila.

I'd still like to lengthen the amount of time it takes for things to wear down.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited December 2014
    I don't know if tanks should make you slower or take up space.

I mean, in real life, oxygen tanks can give you much more air than the subnautica ones do (and subnautica is supposed to be in the future), so perhaps rather than multiple tanks we just upgrade the technology of the existing one.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    I like the idea of braking knives - after all we hack solid objects with them.

What could be nice is a damage model:
    1) hacking fish and "soft" targets would make a "soft" damage state increase - resulting in having to repair / clean / maintain the tool.
    2) hacking stones and corals would add to a "hard" damage state indicating the overall lifespan it has left until it completely breaks down.