Normal vs Freedom

NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
In the Freedom mode you don’t have to worry about food or water providing more casual and relaxed experience and that’s a great idea. What bothers me is that what seem like over half of the crafting list is removed in the Freedom mode. I didn’t come to Subnautica for crafting (plenty other crafting games around), but I still feel like I’ve been punished for choosing to play more relaxed game.

“You don’t want to play normal mode – sure, but we’ll remove some content then”

Even if Life Support items have no use at all in Freedom mode I’d still like to have them available for vanity sake if nothing else (and to satisfy my OCD). Even better would be a system where food is useful but optional, or perhaps the hunger and thirst increase rates could be considerably reduced for the Freedom.

Comments

• dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    To some degree I agree with you there - especially since I see "Freedom" as a sandbox mode only (not really tied in to story or progress).
    As far as I know there could potentially be three game modes:

1. Normal
    Biosphere goals, damage, death

2. Freedom
    No time constraints, damage or death

3. Hardcore
    Same as normal but permanent death (1 life)

Although I can't tell what biosphere goals really are I would assume it's something along the lines of terraforming / building a habitat for the next wave of colonists. This would of course mostly be about making sure you have shelter and food. But these two elements are removed in freedom mode (death doesn't affect you and you don't need any food). Thus I'd say Freedom is just a Sandbox to try things out while you progress in Normal or Hardcore modes.

It'd still be neat to have access to the whole palette of crafting (and harvesting) in Freedom mode as well.