What does a Gorge eat?

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Nukes and tanks won't work if u pop 50 nydus' inside their base.

Problem solved.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2014
    now beyond the statement of nydus tunnels in terran bases...
    What do gorges eat again?
    They can't eat marines, because nanites... makes them disappear.... right?
    Do they simply just get nutrients from the hive and infestation?
    Edit:
    What did they eat BEFORE The khaara took them over?! :O!
    I think they were carnivores!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Edit:

Judging by the teeth (flat for grounding things), they were herbivores.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Edit:

Goats are herbivores yet they eat just about anything. I think of a gorge in the same way.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    Nordic wrote: »
    Edit:

Goats are herbivores yet they eat just about anything. I think of a gorge in the same way.

Most animals can digest anything (the digestive system doesn't discriminate). Though they are more evolved (via natural selection - had to put this here) to better utilize a particular niche (eg. goats eat anything, but they are better at digesting plant matter (flat teeth to ground the plants), they don't "eat" meat because they don't have the type of teeth that can tear flesh into smaller pieces to swallow. Once inside the stomach the digestive juices and enzymes will work on whatever is in there.

As to the Gorge, it is more adapted at plant matter judging by the teeth (flat, and not pointed like the skulk or lerk), it may eat small mammals (large mouth) or insects. So it could well be an omnivore (eat meat and plants), but can better digest plants.

PS. I can't believe we are having a biology class on the NS2 forums. This community is too learned. Lets have some of that CoD/CS GO stuff:

leet, u noobz I pwned u bitc73s. *sigh*.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Edit:

Most animals can digest anything (the digestive system doesn't discriminate). Though they are more evolved (via natural selection - had to put this here) to better utilize a particular niche (eg. goats eat anything, but they are better at digesting plant matter (flat teeth to ground the plants), they don't "eat" meat because they don't have the type of teeth that can tear flesh into smaller pieces to swallow. Once inside the stomach the digestive juices and enzymes will work on whatever is in there.

As to the Gorge, it is more adapted at plant matter judging by the teeth (flat, and not pointed like the skulk or lerk), it may eat small mammals (large mouth) or insects. So it could well be an omnivore (eat meat and plants), but can better digest plants.

PS. I can't believe we are having a biology class on the NS2 forums. This community is too learned. Lets have some of that CoD/CS GO stuff:

The digestive system does discriminate. Multiple stomachs, being able to break down what they eat with the appropriate stomach acid (like digesting bones), handling or not handling bacterium, tougher stomach linings.. etc.
    RapGod wrote: »

The digestive system does discriminate. Multiple stomachs, being able to break down what they eat with the appropriate stomach acid (like digesting bones), handling or not handling bacterium, tougher stomach linings.. etc.

yes, to a point. eg. we can't digest cellulose, but cows (ruminants can) due to the bugs in its 4 stomaches. So I stand to be corrected. Thans
    @RapGod

yes, to a point. eg. we can't digest cellulose, but cows (ruminants can) due to the bugs in its 4 stomaches. So I stand to be corrected. Thans
    @RapGod

=P this is very serious, after all.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members

=P this is very serious, after all.

Indeed, After all the Diet of a gorge is one of Ns2's Several mysteries.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Edit:

I was not saying animals can't eat just about anything like a goat or gorge does. Us humans won't eat just about anything in the same way a goat will just eat a tin can. I imagine a gorge the same way, eating whatever happens to be in front of it but preferring vegetation.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    edited December 2014
    I was not saying animals can't eat just about anything like a goat or gorge does. Us humans won't eat just about anything in the same way a goat will just eat a tin can. I imagine a gorge the same way, eating whatever happens to be in front of it but preferring vegetation.

But if that was the case, Wouldn't Facilities Like Kodiak be completely barebones without any shred of green?
    Are the marines interrupting their Dinner or something?
    They eat marine babies (whole) and turn them into babbles. Done.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    But.. gorges aren't Goats.
    Don't compare the holy gorge of nazareth, to a mindless goat. You just don't do it.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2014
    I figured these guys ate whatever was comin out the res node. Just indirectly, like a IV. Or more like one of those cellphone charging mousepads.
    I thought the gorge was a piggy. Pigs have teeth like us and eat kinda like us too. Sometimes you can fool the coroner with pig teeth and bones.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    skulkgato wrote: »
    Pigs have teeth like us and eat kinda like us too. Sometimes you can fool the coroner with pig teeth and bones.

Not going to lie, this part made me a bit concerned.
    Benson wrote: »
    I figured these guys ate whatever was comin out the res node. Just indirectly, like a IV. Or more like one of those cellphone charging mousepads.
    I thought the gorge was a piggy. Pigs have teeth like us and eat kinda like us too. Sometimes you can fool the coroner with pig teeth and bones.

I don't see the concern...
    Gorges probably taste the same as a piggy. Gorge bacon and such.
    Maybe gorges are a distant relative of the pig.

Nope, gorges are not at all related to pigs.

All kharra come from the kharra bacteria (or whatever it was).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    But.. gorges aren't Goats.
    Don't compare the holy gorge of nazareth, to a mindless goat. You just don't do it.

That's It, My New Game!!!!!

Gorge Simulator. Can you guess what it is about... :P

Armymonger wrote: »
    Benson wrote: »

I don't see the concern...
    Gorges probably taste the same as a piggy. Gorge bacon and such.
    Maybe gorges are a distant relative of the pig.
    I am going to make a stretch with some real biology, and a bit of lore, and let cannon fodder fix the biology.

When you say distant relative, that would assume the kharra have made it to earth. I have read lore saying that the kharra infest a planet and then take species, editing their dna to suite the kharra bacterias needs. The gorge would be one of these.
    It was probably far more slender before its corruption. POOR GORGIE D:
    I am going to make a stretch with some real biology, and a bit of lore, and let cannon fodder fix the biology.

When you say distant relative, that would assume the kharra have made it to earth. I have read lore saying that the kharra infest a planet and then take species, editing their dna to suite the kharra bacterias needs. The gorge would be one of these.

I think you're confusing kharra with zerg.

Or is it the same for both?
    coolitic wrote: »

I think you're confusing kharra with zerg.

Or is it the same for both?

I don't follow starcraft so it couldn't be from that. Its from ns2. As far as I know, there is no official lore. I have read a bit of the fanfiction section and I base my ns2 lore of that. That may or may not have taken from star craft in some ways. I can not speak for it.
    edited December 2014
    You do realize that the TSF are derived from Starcraft Terrans and the Kharra are derived from Starcraft Zerg.

I wonder what happened to the Protoss =P
    7485c3a69556f32bf2fa43bc02c6160b26388bee74c63e841d4c96f6e2bbec02.jpg
    You do realize that the TSF are derived from Starcraft Terrans and the Kharra are derived from Starcraft Zerg.

Naw...just because they are marines dosent mean they are derived from Starcraft Terran marines.
    That would be like saying Starcraft Terran marines are derived from war hammer 40k marines.

We can't say that. Because some diehard fans will be butthurt.

Love the games...but keep them in their respective universes.
    @Nordic‌ In the art design of NS2 (I was poking around my NS2 install folder when I was looking for icons to update the wiki), and found the Digital art book and read it for fun. @Squeal_Like_A_Pig‌ Cory, your art is amazing. I wish I found that art book earlier. Anyway, the Lore for the Kharaa is:
    The Kharaa "bacterium" is a parasite that takes over and controls other species. So from this point of view you could say they could invade a planet and take over. I can't remember how it is we only have 5 species of Kharaa at present. Give me some time and I could probably make up some sort of fan made Lore - but the Starcraft type explanation is probably the most convenient (assimilate many species, and mix the various traits to create the 5 species we see today as the most efficient). As to a gorge, Cory mention they designed it with a pig like snout, but if we don't want to go the pig route (I think Pigs are too round to be a gorge, may be an Capybara

Check the pictures, I think the shape is more like a Gorge than a pig.
    edited December 2014
    Let me just say something. Natural Selection was originally described as "a mix of Starcraft RTS and Counter Strike"

Also, skulk = zergling, lerk = mutalisk, fade = hydralisk (sort of by appearance), and onos = ultralisk.

Infestation = zerg creep, cysts = creep tumors.
    Let me just say something. Natural Selection was originally described as "a mix of Starcraft RTS and Counter Strike"

Also, skulk = zergling, lerk = mutalisk, fade = hydralisk (sort of by appearance), and onos = ultralisk.

Infestation = zerg creep, cysts = creep tumors.
    Cysts weren't originally designed to be in the game.
    While I'm on the idea...
    Babblers.

What are they? Where do they come from? And why do they live?
    Before the khaara, they were baby gorges, hence gorges can spawn them from eggs.
    Before the khaara, they were baby gorges, hence gorges can spawn them from eggs.

...but shouldn't a baby have some form of resemblance to the parent?
    We are talking about a 6 legged mouth with the shape of a tumor after all.

And gorges look NOTHING like babblers.