Help with Wiki

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi all,

The wiki could use some love as it is very very out dated (shadow step is still referenced). I have started to update the wiki again (well hopefully soon when I am on break). But going to the usual place for the icons in my NS2 folder didn't net me the metabolize icon, new biomass / ability map etc... Does anyone have these, and can they post it here so I can update the wiki.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Good luck, laborious project.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    thanks for the love guys, but I really would like the icon files for metabolize and advance metabolize and the new tech tree for the Kharaa... If they are not available, I can alway just screen cap it from a game. Well, that will give me excuse to start a game.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    thanks for the love guys, but I really would like the icon files for metabolize and advance metabolize and the new tech tree for the Kharaa... If they are not available, I can alway just screen cap it from a game. Well, that will give me excuse to start a game.

What a rookie :D Ofc those can be found in ui/buildmenu.dds :P And the techtree is not a in-game ui texture but gets dynamically created based on the techtree tables.

BTW good luck with the wiki :)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    :-) thanks for the info @GhoulofGSG9‌ I am doing the patch notes tonight, and will start to edit the rest between now and Christmas.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    The wiki has bigger problems than being outdated, like being overloaded by spam posts and taking forever to load a page, timeouts. Click random page and you will see, or view history.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yeh.. but still its on my todo list to update commander guides for newbs.
    But I dont think they are read to much sso no rush. :p
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Where even is the wiki? All the links got taken out of the current site didn't they? I seem to recall several reports about the wiki being about to "receive some love". Any UWE know anything about those plans?
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is one of those projects I was probably going to work on this weekend. The ideal intent is to eventually add all the patch notes back to when they stopped being recorded on there and obviously update all the gameplay changes which have occurred on their respective pages since that degeneration. That will take some time. We also need to purge all the spam. The timeouts, as @SamusDroid said also need to be looked into, but it might be due to overload, and currently makes the wiki borderline unusable.
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    edited December 2014
    I have some Experience working on a wiki.
    I used to be a Administrator for a Wiki on another game. Just rewriting Stories and Such.
    I could probably give you a hand, But Don't expect much from me. Im no Pro.

If you like, I could Rewrite and Add backstories to Various Articles to make them more Cohesive and entertaining.
    of course for approval sake by others, I post Rough drafts here for Others to scrutinize.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm not sure the story sections need updating, but perhaps in the future. I think a lot of that stuff has to be more or less verified with UWE. The problems are more so just damage numbers and minor changes to biomass, armor, tech trees, pricing and everything else. As for the timeouts, the software should have been updated thanks to the ever vigilant @AceDude‌! Thanks, man!
    Yes, can verify there is a spam bot blocker. Every new page asked me to put in a captcha thing. I have updated version history to 267 (thought I would start with the easy stuff). Will go back and make the wiki links tonight after a few rounds of NS2.
    @Calego‌ if you click the community link at top of page, then scroll to bottom of page its there.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    someone should probably put it in the foreground if it does get updated.
    having it hidden behind other pages is undesirable.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    The wiki has bigger problems than being outdated, like being overloaded by spam posts and taking forever to load a page, timeouts. Click random page and you will see, or view history.

Holy crap, just did what you said and clicked random page... Now I know why we have 800+ articles on the wiki. How do we delete those pages as a contributor? Or alternately if we can flag it with a key word some where as spam, it might make searching for these pages easier for the admin that need to delete it. Please let us know how we can help @SamusDroid‌ the Keeper of Wisdom and @GhoulofGSG9‌ the Answerer of Questions.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Holy crap, just did what you said and clicked random page... Now I know why we have 800+ articles on the wiki. How do we delete those pages as a contributor? Or alternately if we can flag it with a key word some where as spam, it might make searching for these pages easier for the admin that need to delete it. Please let us know how we can help @SamusDroid‌ the Keeper of Wisdom and @GhoulofGSG9‌ the Answerer of Questions.

Maybe @Narfwak‌ (or @Zavaro‌ ) can help you out. That the wiki needs a overall cleanup structure-wise (since the gorgeous days) was always the reason for me to stay away from it.

Overall i guess the admin, moderator lists for all those old "community driven" projects should need a up-date i guess. I guess in the end of the day it would be the best to give someone like you moderator access so you can delete stuff yourself, otherwise it might take forever to clean up the wiki ( but that's just my humble opinion ).

So first step: Find out who has admin access to the wiki :D

Hmm, maybe @IronHorse‌ also might know that ;)

@Calego‌ The love the wiki got lately was that @Acedude moved it to working servers (which is understandable if you think about how less time he has currently) ;)
    edited December 2014
    Just an update:
    All versions Patch history updated on main page. I will start the process of updating the actual articles tomorrow (there is only so much wiki I can take for a night). I will upload place holders for any changed icons (they are grey) as the buildmenu.dds contains grey icons, and don't match the nice yellow ones that are existing (I am not sure what shade of yellow to use).
    Just an update:
    All versions Patch history updated on main page. I will start the process of updating the actual articles tomorrow (there is only so much wiki I can take for a night). I will upload place holders for any changed icons (they are grey) as the buildmenu.dds contains grey icons, and don't match the nice yellow ones that are existing (I am not sure what shade of yellow to use).

You missed update 271 ;)
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ :-) waiting for the going live message. I am itching to add this one in :-)
    edited December 2014
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ :-) waiting for the going live message. I am itching to add this one in :-)

We are at build 271 atm, upcoming one is 272 that's why i'm saying you missed it :P
    Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. I forgot about reading that. Will fix tmr
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I registered for an account a while ago with the intention of cleaning some stuff up. My school semester just ended, so I'll start digging through stuff as well.

We need a "To Do" page on the wiki.
    I was thinking of that as well. To do list would be really helpful to see what needs done. I ll knock something together if you haven't done so.

I propose we'll call it wiki todo list won't link it (orphan page) so search for it on the left of wiki page.
    edited December 2014
    Hey all,

I have mostly updated the wiki to reflect changes (most of the numbers up to 268). Please goto the Wiki To do list for more stuff. As usual, the bane of my creative existence is graphics. Could you guys and gals look over the graphics and update if you know how.
    Thanks.