What does a Gorge eat?

ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
edited December 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Ive been kinda restraining myself to post this due to how many threads ive been making recently, but I became really curious...

even more so after I saw this pic while searching for references to draw pictures here on the forums.
Ag3AjCb.jpg

What in gods name does a gorge eat that is capable of creating and Spewing excrements of that size?
Its like CHILDBIRTH!
And couple the fact that the same substance is capable of melting ARMOR and regenerating living tissue...its a bit intriguing.

Disgusting. yet Intriguing.
I heard somewhere that a Gorge contains an ecosystem inside its stomach but I feel its something else.
Any ideas?

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    That's not even going into the clogs (ie, a big green poo blob that is just about the same size as the gorge... and it'll dump 10 of those things out!!!)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Looks like Chipotle. I do the same thing after I eat there.

Oh God @aeroripper what have you done? Somewhere out there is a massive swarm of hipsters, and they're heading right for us!!!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the question is not what does a gorge eat, but What does a gorge not eat?!

Why don't you think a gorge has an ecosystem inside its stomach? The amount of bacteria in the human body practically makes an ecosystem.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    That's not even going into the clogs (ie, a big green poo blob that is just about the same size as the gorge... and it'll dump 10 of those things out!!!)

I figure Clogs are like Balloons. Sticky, slime covered, stomach-gas filled balloons. The smell from when they pop could probably be classed as a weapon.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Armymonger‌ Check out my manual for some unofficial Lore on the Gorge:
    Clogs:
    clogs appear to be made of an inert material derived from the infestation. We have confirmation from a number of sightings, gorges are able to regurgitate clogs (press “2” for the build menu, and 2 again to select clogs, left mouse to build. Note red clogs mean a invalid placement.), biologically, this seems impossible as the size of a clog is much larger than a gorge mouth. We postulate the pro-clog is regurgitated, and then undergo a chemical or biological reaction that both expand and hardened the clog to its final form.
    Hydra:
    Marine reports have confirmed that gorges harbour hydra seeds, and regurgitate it up as a tiny seedling. We were able to dissect gorge specimens to find these seeds, but are unable to germinate it for further study. We can however be certain, when hydra seeds are planted on infestation, they will draw nutrients from the surrounding infestation and grow on their own. If they are planted off infestation, a gorge must “heal spray” it to grow it up.

• ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
    @Armymonger‌ Check out my manual for some unofficial Lore on the Gorge:
    Clogs:
    clogs appear to be made of an inert material derived from the infestation. We have confirmation from a number of sightings, gorges are able to regurgitate clogs (press “2” for the build menu, and 2 again to select clogs, left mouse to build. Note red clogs mean a invalid placement.), biologically, this seems impossible as the size of a clog is much larger than a gorge mouth. We postulate the pro-clog is regurgitated, and then undergo a chemical or biological reaction that both expand and hardened the clog to its final form.
    Hydra:
    Marine reports have confirmed that gorges harbour hydra seeds, and regurgitate it up as a tiny seedling. We were able to dissect gorge specimens to find these seeds, but are unable to germinate it for further study. We can however be certain, when hydra seeds are planted on infestation, they will draw nutrients from the surrounding infestation and grow on their own. If they are planted off infestation, a gorge must “heal spray” it to grow it up.

Interesting.
    This explains Clogs and Hydras.
    but does NOT explain a gorge's Diet.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My question is, how bad of heart burn must the gorge always have considering the acidity of its stomach is high enough to dissolve metal.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Looks like Chipotle. I do the same thing after I eat there.

Chipotle-away. It'll fix things for you.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    Benson wrote: »
    My question is, how bad of heart burn must the gorge always have considering the acidity of its stomach is high enough to dissolve metal.

Bile is infact NOT acidic per se (compared to stomach acid, which is pH1). Bile is a mixture of chemicals that is able to dissolve fat (in our biology). I would postulate it thus:
    Bile is a mixture of the stomach content of a Gorge mixed with bacteria found in the Gorge's gut. This mixture when exposed to oxygen will switch the metabolism of the bacteria from anaerobic to aerobic. In the process, Oxidative radicals are produced, which attack metals and materials (such as polymers) and weaken it.

The Gorge like other Kharaa draw their nutrient and nourishment from infestation via the Hive by a process of osmosis (through the skin), and the lack of a posterior exit (read butt h$%^) means waste which can not be dissolved can not be excreted except by regurgitation (ewwwww).

PS. I am a molecular biologist with a co-major in microbiology (not saying I know better, but just means I can spew out scientific jibberish better ;-)
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    maybe the question should be, what doesnt a gorge eat?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Gorges don't necessarily eat anything! The khaara bacterium infests and fills every square inch of its habitat, it finds its way into every nook, cranny and orifice.
    There's a theory that the gorge tunnel is the interdimensionally warped digestive tract of a gorge. See how it's covered in slimy green crap? That's the infestation. Infestation that is proliferate within all the gorge's internal tissues. The interaction of the bacterium with the natural chemistry of the various organs is what enables the gorge to emit the various things they do.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always saw the gorge as the bottom feeder of the hive, will eat anything and everything including bad dreams and unwashed underwear.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Have you seen the gorges teeth? Other than the obvious need to see a dentist, I hypothesize that they are plant-eaters (of some sort)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    I think the question is not what does a gorge eat, but What does a gorge not eat?!
    maybe the question should be, what doesnt a gorge eat?
    Although copycat, I am repeating for triple exposure. What does a gorge not eat?
    Gorges don't necessarily eat anything! The khaara bacterium infests and fills every square inch of its habitat, it finds its way into every nook, cranny and orifice.
    There's a theory that the gorge tunnel is the interdimensionally warped digestive tract of a gorge. See how it's covered in slimy green crap? That's the infestation. Infestation that is proliferate within all the gorge's internal tissues. The interaction of the bacterium with the natural chemistry of the various organs is what enables the gorge to emit the various things they do.
    Ooh. That explains a gorge tunnel.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    @Cannon_FodderAUS‌

I feel so proud of myself for understanding most (read: some) of that!

I know a bit about cell respiration as its important for making my beer :smiley:
  • ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members

interdimentional...warped part of a digestive tract...?
    As in...a living phase gate?
    Something about that dosent sit well with me.

• colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    PS. I am a molecular biologist with a co-major in microbiology

not to mention a top bloke and a real hit with the ladies!

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Armymonger wrote: »

interdimentional...warped part of a digestive tract...?
    As in...a living phase gate?
    Something about that dosent sit well with me.

Agreed, this makes me take a whole new look at gorge tunnel travel. I definitely will not be going into one again as a marine. *shudder*
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    What does a gorge eat? ... my bullets. In a pub, I will go through hell and high water to kill those little suckers. skulks around biting my ankles? clog walls, hydras and whips? escaping through a tunnel? nope... you're gonna die you little fat suck.
    PS. I am a molecular biologist with a co-major in microbiology

not to mention a top bloke and a real hit with the ladies!

@colonoscopy_odyssey‌ I'll take that as a compliment :smile:
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members

I was going to say something about killing the skulk first, but then he jumped over an onos to get to the gorge.
    Calego wrote: »

Agreed, this makes me take a whole new look at gorge tunnel travel. I definitely will not be going into one again as a marine. *shudder*

@Calego there you go, something to think about:

Sarge called out to me. I thought I can’t be
    surprised any more at Kharaa organic structures. Well, this one
    takes the cake for sure. It looked like a giant flower that has
    blossomed on the floor, with white petals. At the center of it, is
    ummmm, an orifice. Sarge looked at me, then back at the “flower”,
    then me again.
    “That’s not something you see every day. Thank God”, I stam-
    mered. Then laughed nervously. That must be the most stupid
    thing I have ever said. Though I thought I saw Sarge’s lips curled
    slightly, either a smile or a grimace to what is about to happen.

Sarge stepped on to the “tunnel”, and I see the orifice open, then
    envelope Sarge, and he was gone. I followed, not knowing what
    might come. I get this eerie feeling as the wall of muscle closed
    over me. Inside the tunnel was another alien scape, with stumps
    of growth jutting out of the ground. The air was thick and heavy, it
    weighted on my shoulders.
    “Move quick soldier”, Sarge ordered and started to move double
    time. As we moved along the straight tunnel, I could see Sarge’s
    armor dissolving as we moved. The atmosphere inside a tunnel is
    corrosive to armor!
    *Glooop. Sarge and I got po(o)pped out of the tunnel on the
    other side. I shuddered and tried not to think about the process.
    Guys, guys. I think a gorge tunnel is obviously just a nydus tunnel, minus the scary jaws.
    W
    coolitic wrote: »
    Guys, guys. I think a gorge tunnel is obviously just a nydus tunnel, minus the scary jaws.

What would you say if a Gorge tunnel was just a baby version?
    And the bigger ones have Teeth and Eat spaceships?
    edited December 2014
    I would say.... this:
    nyduswoms.jpg
    I would say.... this:
    nyduswoms.jpg

Nydus rush!! FTW!!
    I would say.... this:
    nyduswoms.jpg

Nydus rush!! FTW!!

The bane of all Terran's!

Protoss dont care cuz while they nydus rush 500 zealots warp in via mass-gates.
    I would say.... this:
    nyduswoms.jpg

Nydus rush!! FTW!!

The bane of all Terran's!

Protoss dont care cuz while they nydus rush 500 zealots warp in via mass-gates.

Don't We have nukes?
    Or siege tanks for that?