Mobile human controlled turrets.

ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
edited December 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
So my first idea was something along the lines of a set up marine weapon.
A commander with the ability to deploy a buildable mini gun from an exo as a human controlled turret.
Complete with limited firing arcs and a short delay getting in and out of turrets.
But I remembered that marine players in NS2 don't like being defensive because of how the alien side simply gets stronger and stronger till they can overwhelm any defense. Which is why sentry turrets are garbage in the late game.

So then it hit me. What about commander controlled mobile turrets similar to ARCS?
They can move via the commanders discretion but they won't shoot without an actual soldier in the gunners seat.
These are meant to be a midgame cheaper alternative to exos but are effectively weaker in armor and in terms of firepower.
What they use as weapons are twin linked belt fed assault rifle And a secondary grenade launcher.

So what are their benefits?
Well extra firepower for a column of marines, a dual barrel assault rifle with unlimited ammo can't go wrong, not to mention the grenade launcher. It also could double as cover since it has the height of a standard marine. Makes defending its ARC brethren a bit easier
And it's built from robo factories from the commanders res, so that could be a plus.

But the problems it has makes this somewhat dangerous to use.
It can't shoot behind it.
Like the sentry guns, these mobile turrets are limited to a firing angle directly in front. So if a skulk gets behind it...well the turret is finished. It only moves through the commanders orders. It's not an exo. So improper communication could be deadly to a turret user who take a little time to get in and out of turrets. Also remember that like ARCs, they are slow...don't reverse meaning the rear is faced in front of aliens, and requires repair support.
And finally it uses commander res! Which could be a draw back if the res is better spent on other items.

Thoughts?

Comments