Why...do you want to Win?

ArmymongerArmymonger The spacebearing Country of America Join Date: 2014-04-04 Member: 195135Members
The thing about NS2 is that it PERFECTLY SUCKS YOU INTO a cycle of Fighting Marines vs Aliens.
There is no punishment or benefits of how the Outcome of the battle ends, so We fight till our Hearts are Content.
Not necessarily a "Bad" thing per se.... But it does raise the question.

Why do you want to win?

With how NS2 is set up, There really is no real reason of why you should try your hardest win.
NS2 focuses on how you get to the outcome and not the outcome itself.

Therefore...Why do you want to win?

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't want to win. I want to improve. Winning is just a biproduct of that.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2014
    There is no reason to play a game like Battlefield, CSGO, or whatever shooter if you dont want to win.

Take the Rush mode from Battlefield for example.
    Its an obective mode, where your team need to capture points.
    Its unplayble for me if 3/4 of the team is sniper, hanging around far as possible from the objective with zero interest to capture them.
    They might have some fun killing 3 people but these people havent understand the game.

Same with NS2.
    Sure, it might be funny to train your bubblers in your little cloq fortress the whole round doing nothing usefull for the team.
    "NS2 focuses on how you get to the outcome and not the outcome itself."
    This is not true.
    The reason you want to have many extractors is to raise the chance of winning cause better weapons, better protection and higher mobility.

You asked about commanding in another thread.
    Well, go commander and start to build smiley faces with armorys and see what happen.
    Sure , its funny from your point of view. But you destroy the game for the rest of the team.

If you want to have fun and do what you want, dont play multiplayer team games.

Ah and btw, its super funny to throw smoke grenades in front of a horde sniper of your team to make it impossible for them to snipe in BF in an already lost rush round.
    If you play hardcore (wich i was doing most of the time) its also funny to kill all these fukin camping idiots with a knife before the round is over.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    It's not about a particular individual perception of victory, humans are psychologically predisposed to win or be successful. Losing feels bad, it sucks and people become cognitively dissonant about it but when we win, we feel proud and happy. For most people in regards to trivial activities like gaming and hobbies, I'd argue its just the emotional state people want.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Because people have an instinctive competitive nature, fueling their desire to outperform others. In regards to gaming, that means wanting to win. :)
  • ImpatientJediImpatientJedi Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183870Members
    The funny thing about NS2, is the other team feels inhuman. Unlike halo or COD, NS2 has you competing with the other team, not only to destroy them but gain the rest of the map in the process. It's like rubing salt in a wound when the other team takes a base or keeps destroying the res, but at the end of the game everyone is back in the ready room and talking about the game, ready to start another game.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Who wants to be a loser? Not me. So naturally I win.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    As long as I'm having an enjoyable time while playing, winning or losing is fine with me.

There have been plenty of games where I had a ton of fun and lost at the end, which I would vastly prefer to replay than other rounds where I was on the winning team, but for whatever reason, just wasn't as much fun.

It's more about the experience rather than the end result I suppose.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A game that is completely one-sided from the word go is no fun - neither winning, nor losing.
    It's just [sigh].
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    I don't mind losing every game. You know what really chaps my ass though? The people who quit way before the game is close from ending. It seems like they can read the future and it does cause a disruption in the game when you notice you are down 4 players compared to the other team it causes those who stayed to quit cause of that reason.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I don't like it when ppl go on pubs and always complain when they lose. Honestly, if all you care about is winning, and you are exceptionally good at NS2, go play comp matches (if you suck, well, then you shouldn't be complaining =P)

I personally do enjoy winning, but dont mind losing.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited November 2014
    I'd like to point out that I've played games with people who don't care about winning. People who have completely stopped playing the game how it's meant to be played and only play for "fun", which usually comes at the expense of ruining it for everybody else.

It is a valid question. What personal motivation does one have to play the game "right" instead of just playing for one's personal amusement at the expense of all others if necessary? Many games offer some sort of persistent rewards, whether they be aesthetic, power, or ranking, in order to help drive players towards the intended goal, to mixed effect of course. NS2 has no such system, and yet I much more rarely find people who don't play to win.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I try to concede before the losing team can. Sometimes this feels really good.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    This is " Multiplayers Game" >>> You "HAVE TO " win by any means nescessary >> Human nature , after all you cant escape it

If you NOT want to win , and DO want to relax after long day of work >> Play OFFLINE - COOP games ( Dead Island , LEGO series..vv)
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    This is " Multiplayers Game" >>> You "HAVE TO " win by any means nescessary >> Human nature , after all you cant escape it

If you NOT want to win , and DO want to relax after long day of work >> Play OFFLINE - COOP games ( Dead Island , LEGO series..vv)

Video games are literally made for entertainment. if you can't accept that fact, at least respect how others want it.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Because there is no experience just quite like winning
    ...even if it is a HORRIBLE TEN HOUR LONG GRINDFEST, JUST, GOTTA, WIN!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    coolitic wrote: »
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »

Video games are literally made for entertainment. if you can't accept that fact, at least respect how others want it.

What about along the lines of "I Wanna Be The Guy", entertaining when you actually lose :D
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Because there is no experience just quite like winning
    ...even if it is a HORRIBLE TEN HOUR LONG GRINDFEST, JUST, GOTTA, WIN!

At least it's a horrible 10 hour long grind to VICTORY and not just the next level/perk unlock, right ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    There's no satisfaction like perfectly executed teamwork through communication and coordination.

Complimentary or complicated scenarios like multiple players contributing to pinching that higher lifeform is just soooo sweet... and is pretty much absent in any other game out there, including those that claim to involve teamwork. (looking at you, Battlefield games..)
    Well that's the problem when the player count is too high, you often get less teamwork.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Well that's the problem when the player count is too high, you often get less teamwork.

In my experience it has nothing to do with the quantity of players, but rather the quality. You can have good team work in big games. It just happens to be the case that good players stay away from those for unrelated reasons.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    There's no satisfaction like perfectly executed teamwork through communication and coordination.

Complimentary or complicated scenarios like multiple players contributing to pinching that higher lifeform is just soooo sweet... and is pretty much absent in any other game out there, including those that claim to involve teamwork. (looking at you, Battlefield games..)

I feel pretty spoiled when I go back to "team" fortress 2. Where the "teamwork" is really "go to the point/cart" and "occasionally switch classes to fill any gaps." If I ever use chat at all, it's usually to rage at people who don't know how to capture a point (stand on it, you cretins!) or what the cart is (it's lit up and outlined through the goddamn walls!)

I love the game, don't get me wrong. I just laugh on the inside when people laud TF2 for its teamwork. It's really just ingenious game design that makes it possible to have a fun multiplayer game with utter imbeciles.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Because presumably by striving hard against an evenly matched opponent and winning is fun. Would you like a fun counter that tells you that, when you win and have a good score indicates precisely how much fun youve clocked? I am sure it could be arranged.
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    edited December 2014
    Improving myself is my main goal. Winning is a side product. However, I love it when something you have learned helps your team win. Makes me feel great.
  • herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The answeres were given (enjoyment etc...) but it made me remember those teams in pcws that don't gg fast enough.

One day i had someone tell me it's to learn how to comeback.

But to me if you focus on this you don't learn how win.
    You just get the habit of that "on the verge of losing mindset" wich then cripples your team's game style.

As soon as we did a major mistake and felt we had nothing more to learn ( losing both fades/lerks in one engagement for ex.) we would gg most of the time with snails.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @herakl3s‌ Yeah it seems people give up too easily I'm guilty myself "hairyclit"

Long live Wonga! :)) :))
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I just like a reasonably even game, without turtles, back and forth, and people with mics. It's awesome to get the win, people recognize your win (usually), and you know you gave a good game for almost everyone. I've lost commanding a lot - and won a lot. But these are the only wins I really enjoy.