[Review] In a Nutshell... (Can't Write a Steam Review Yet).

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Subnautica already has you from the moment you crash land, the environment is outstanding. Two things happen here when you first start the game, the feeling of claustrophobia takes you because of how small the interior of the life boat is, and the second part is as you scramble out of your boat you are suddenly taken in the by the beauty, and the wide open space (steep contrast, one moment you feel stifled, and then faced with a open world), and you can't wait to get out there.

The world is fantastic, beautiful, and deadly (that part you do not know yet... poke it, and see), then you get flooded with what your possibilities are, and you just want to jump right in. For me that rush of excitement, and wonderment which this game gives you from the get go is your adventure right there, and that feeling of excitement forces you to want to explore (you are like a child seeing new, and wonderful things for the first time) you can't help but want to explore.

This game is fantastic, it puts you into a dream state, and makes you forget where you are, and reality has a nasty way of biting you on the bum to wake you up, and forces you to start taking care of your personal needs first, take it slow, then explore a little at a time, poke, prod, and have a fun time while doing it knowing that maybe something is lurking not to far away that would like to attach itself to your body, and make you their host, or just a real quick snack.

This game is a solid seven in it's early stages, you keep going the way you are headed, and once you add in some survival aspects believe me, you will have no trouble getting a solid 8.5 or 9, and people will scramble to get the title.

later!

Comments

• SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
    edited November 2014
    Eh, I think its a little way too early to make a review. Subnautica at its stage now is very graphically pretty, but there isnt really anything to do besides "poke and prod" and its very limited at that. I guess its subjective.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited November 2014
    Point being though is that the game even in it's current state is on solid ground, anything else they intend to add I hope will make it stronger so the small review I posted is inline with what people can do, and might feel.

Poke & Prod a Gasopod, or a Stalker, and see what happens. :)

Everything I have posted in the mini-review is solid, and the game supports it.

Later!
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The main disadvantage of previews is that Steam doesn't support an out-of-date service. You can't add a timeframe that makes previews automatically vanish, like food taken out of a shelf if its past a certain time limit. Steams Early Access has evolved, but the review service is still the same as all products were finished. You can't just hope for users changing the review themselves.

The only thing you could do is to write in your headline in big letters: Preview, only valid until date x, so when you forget to update some people can realize it.

And I don't think you can give a score right now, like a 7/10. Because if you don't take into account your believe how far it will go, then the actual value would be 3/10 for that price if development would stop to exist. If you believe in development than as an underwater fan you'd have to vote 10/10 at this early stage, because I've seen far more worse.

I'd point out the strength of the game (rare game type, fantastic underwater artwork) and development (experienced team, regular updates, community feedback) or new cool things you expect to come (underwater physics like currents).