Seige Mode

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited November 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
It's rockin' right now guys.

Frequently updated, new stuff being introduced at a steady rate (so far there's acid rocket, focus, fully customisable exosuits (flamethrower/ welders available and in various combinations), HMG, giant macs that never do what they're told (so basically, giant macs), etc etc.).

I dont know the forum name of whoever runs it, but whoever you are hats off to you, there are still obvious issues with server crashes but other than that it runs great- when I first played it a couple of months ago I was getting absurd mouselag but that's fine now due to reduced hydra spam :)

Servers crash pretty frequently at the moment (every 2-3 maps?) but frankly I don't even care, seige mode re-creates epic turtles every game, with lots of fun toys to play with. Sadly only american servers available to me running this; seige mod needs to be more popular!

Edit- Emboldened the word "rockin'" for emphasis.

Comments

• ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    We might switch hamster wheel to funmods/last resistance/siege all in one again. Sadly we're both very busy right now... I'll see what I can do later tonite.
  • AmbivalentAmbiguityAmbivalentAmbiguity Miami, FL Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194129Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I own one of the servers it currently runs on, I can tell you most of what crashes the server has have been fixed. The big problem right now is actually the Steam workshop.

Occasionally the server will be unable to connect to the workshop and that causes a lot of "mod not found" and similar errors. This applies to most servers and is actually a pretty big problem (I feel) that eventually will need to be worked out. It's one most server operators are familiar with.

If this happens when you're playing any of the siege servers you should contact one of the admins for it, it's an easy fix! But that's the life of a custom mod :)
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited November 2014
    I don't see the appeal of siege mode. What is it that makes it so fun?

To me it seems like taking one of the worst aspects of NS2 (turtles) and making a game mode around it.

Would be awesome to see regular NS2 get some of those features though. Customized Exosuits... Focus... HMG... Acid rocket... there's no reason it can't all be added to vanilla. Or at the very least someone should put together a "NS2+" type mod with all of it.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Siege is only really fun if people know how to play it, siege has been about for years and all the servers I've played with siege mod so far, people still don't know what to do resulting in aliens losing 70% of the time, with the people refusing to say anything so I find myself screaming at alien team to fade/lerk past the first door to get behind enemy lines and harass the marine base delaying reinforcements to the front!
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited November 2014
    Siege is fun as marine commander because it's fast and you have more res than you can spend.

I personally think there is too much pres for players and generally not enough RTs in the mid-map. In ns1, Aliens had to try and make a break past the marine frontline into the rest of the map where they could build outposts, kill significant RTs and draw JPers away from the defenses. Your bread and butter classes were lerk and fade vs JP chasing each other around.

In ns2 everyone has enough res to go onos and double exo right from the start so there is no cost/benefit strategy in having to save res for your higher tech, so a lot of games have marines being crushed by all onos/gorge as soon as the doors open.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    MoFo1 wrote: »

To me it seems like taking one of the worst aspects of NS2 (turtles) and making a game mode around it.

Would be awesome to see regular NS2 get some of those features though. Customized Exosuits... Focus... HMG... Acid rocket... there's no reason it can't all be added to vanilla. Or at the very least someone should put together a "NS2+" type mod with all of it.
    That's exactly why it's fun. It's the guilty pleasure of all of us who actually kinda liked turtling when we were rookies. Except now, it's the whole point! And you can win by turtling now!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Desther wrote: »
    In ns2 everyone has enough res to go onos and double exo right from the start so there is no cost/benefit strategy in having to save res for your higher tech, so a lot of games have marines being crushed by all onos/gorge as soon as the doors open.

it's still that way in seige- good luck getting an onos past an entire team of exos/HMGs. With a fade or lerk- much less of a problem.

But yeah a lot of the problems with seige at the moment revolve around it being best played with larger playercounts, AKA, the servers are often full of rookies. Dont let that deter you though- wait long enough and decent players will amass :)

To me it seems like taking one of the most treasured aspects of NS2 (turtles) and making a game mode around it.
    Fixed.

Turtles are unarguably an easy state to achieve in NS2.
    They are a low-energy state, one that often requires large amounts of energy (shouting) to get out of.
    So, you could say it is a preferred state for the NS2 gameplay system, as a whole.

Seige is good because it works. Even with rookies.
    There is a clearly-defined gameflow - vanilla NS2 lacks this (often resulting in, derp, turtles).
    Did I mention the HMGs, exosuits with welder/flamers etc? Dont be such an old sourpuss. It's by no means the razor-sharp competitive multiplayer experience that vanilla is, but it's damn fun as a pub mode.

It's turtle-vs-turtle, may the best tortoise win.

@AmbivalentAmbiguity still lots of crashes as of yesterday, but I'll take your word for it ;)
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I got one EU server running for test if its realy needed 24 slots all the maps i could find on steam workshop. Have fun!

http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1553931/91.121.64.194:27024
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I just think there are some balancing stuff that needs to be worked out for lifeforms imo.

Also, who's idea was it to put heavy rain on that one siege map?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

I see them like playing money maps. Both teams have basically unlimited resources and it becomes a huge end-game tech kill fest, with an objective.

Kinda like Combat, but with much bigger maps.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    edited November 2014
    Don't want to bother reading every post here as the server generates enough feedback as it is.. but thanks. Do know the server crashes are logged each time and things are changed of course based on it. Recently updating ns2+ has caused crashes though it promised to prevent them. So now that this has been reverted to a more steady build, siegemod itself is steady-ish as I also made my own crash prevententions from those pesky parent errors. Anywho, yeah.. Enjoy!

edit again: Alot of siegemod is actually alot of remix from other mods: ns2c, enforced exo, ns2+, compmod, extraentities(mod)

p.s - hashtagawesome.org
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    KKyle wrote: »
    Recently updating ns2+ has caused crashes though it promised to prevent them.

The new NS2+ Update is working fine and the setParentiy Errors are gone now (I tested it on several Servers). If the code brings your server to crash, then you have to do something against this, because the setParentiy error will be implemented into the new build 271 (Ns2 Trello)

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Had fun on @CarNagE1‌ 's siege server last night :D

... LOTS OF FUN!!!111!!11!!!1111!!1!one :|
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only when the exo module worked ;-) @meatmachine‌
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Only when the exo module worked ;-) @meatmachine‌

Word on the grapevine is that it's all working now :)

I'm busy tonight but hoping we can get some games going this coming week (3 days off work woooooo)