Kid mode - Free play mode for young kids

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
I'd like to see a free play mode that even 2 year old kids could play. No oxygen limits, enough tech to have fun, monsters that are "annoying" at worst (no death). Still, there needs to be interaction with the world, allowing limited experimentation. Also, it would be nice if the game could somehow limit use of the game menu and other "adult" stuff while in this mode.

For bonus points, maybe even add a few mini-games. For example, the outlines of 4 fish would show up at the top of the screen and the player would have to go around and collect each of those species fish. Once that happens, the game would play happy music and maybe show fireworks or something.

This could really open up the game to a new market, without much extra effort.

Comments

• NiklasdiverNiklasdiver Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146675Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    I do not believe that this would be a good idea. Even though subnautica is not all about violence, it is very much a part of it. Having a child safe mode wouldn't make sense.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited November 2014
    There is nothing I've seen in the game so far that I would consider detrimental to my almost-3 year old's psyche in the current game. All I was hoping for was a bit of polish and a few limitations to make it easier to use. Obviously its not finished yet, but I would consider anything in the "safe shallows" to be acceptable. The other areas could be evaluated/limited based on their content.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I bet @flayra would love this idea, @Racer1‌ - Going to tweet this thread at him
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited November 2014
    Hi.

I suppose having a level where the creatures behavior could be trimmed back a bit meaning no violence between the different species, and no violence against the player. More like a free build mode sort of deal where younger folks can play without the shock.

I don't see anything wrong with that request, makes sense in a way since this game is about exploration.... Just have a exploration tab on the main menu, and let them roam, explore, and build things.

I'm all for it.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    So it would be like the creative mode for minecraft? Cuz i kinda love the ability of doing what i want with out being disturbed!
    So i wouldn't mind if this was in the game at all.
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Wouldn't mind my kids playing as an educational experience. Don't think it's necessary to turn off species to species violence - sufficient to turn off blood or other graphic content.

Not sure about 2 years old though, seems a waste to use Subnautica as a virtual fishtank - sounds like it would be more appropriate to say 5+

If Subnautica does have "educational mode" would also love to have editor to create and share more realistic biomes (Sargasso Sea, Great Barrier Reef, Molokini crater)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    You'd be surprised what a 2 year old can do. Yes, they can't spell or read yet -- the best you can usually hope for at that age is basic counting and a few letters. Still, they learn quickly and are eager to explore new environments. So, as long as you put them into a place that looks fun and they can't accidentally shoot themselves in the foot, they will find a way to have a good time.

@Nairit I too was hoping some eduactional stuff would be added at some point. But that is admittedly much to ask from a team that has a tight budget and huge existing goals that will already be hard to attain.
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    My eldest is 4, don't think it's about what they can do, rather about what they find fun and what they think boring, what can teach them now and what is best saved for later lest important lessons are missed.

For example even at 4 my son would find Subnautica boring, unlike some more kid oriented underwater themed games

As for education, hard to be certain but it seems the game will be educational as it is - just not toddler. More like for when kid is ready to discuss things like habitat, behavoral patterns, ecology, sustainability, scientific methods, field research, etc. Expect around 8 might be earlier ;)
  • FacepunchFacepunch Canada, Eh? Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176042Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well I mean it is a game
    Kids probably see much more gore and blood on National Geographic, I doubt a game like Subnautica would do much other than spark an interest in diving.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Minus the "mini games" and kid-focus, this is what "Freedom" is meant to be.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Flayra wrote: »
    Minus the "mini games" and kid-focus, this is what "Freedom" is meant to be.

I do like the proposed minigame though. It just needs to be weaved in the games theme a bit more to make it feel less added on. You are a scientist and part of your mission is to study the environment. So why not create explicit "quests" based on that? Like:

Discover a species by swimming close for a while. Grab fish, release somewhere else, see what it does. Craft camera. Take photos of species. Craft lab equipment. Take DNA sample of species. Analyse DNA (might require additional materials like solvents or batteries). Craft fishtank. Catch fish. Put in fishtank. Feed? Breed?

You can have the same basic quest chain for every fish in the game. They can be progressed in parallel. For the bigger fish you'd modify the grab&release quest to a lure quest or something. IMO there is plenty of opportunity for these kinds of quest in the game.

I know that some people detest quests. Probably because quest interfere with their creative freedom. But I'm sure lots of people prefer a little bit of guidance and perceived purpose. I'd like to compare it with LEGO. You can follow the instruction if you want. As you become more skilled you can also just ignore the instructions and do your own thing.

The real issue with quests is rewards and gating. Remove both and you have a system where completing quests is entirely optional and voluntary. Yet it gives guidance to those in need.

What do you guys think? Use agree/disagree buttons to let me know!
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I do not like quests one bit! It's certainly just my preference, but I don't need a game telling me what to do and giving me fake points for doing it.

I'd like to make Subnautica intrinsically rewarding - it's fun and worth spending your time on for it's own sake, not because a game designer wants me to feel some sort of fake-progress. I've never liked CRPGs though (but I LOVE paper RPGs as they are player-driven).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I have to say, I have had similar ideas to this for my own projects. What if I could make an adult game, with a kids mode, so families can play together etc.

My next project was very much about making the game and a free simple mode for kids :)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I don't know. At this time the game looks kid friendly, but lots of stuff isn't included. So question is what game aspect is kid unfriendly? And is there an easy way to turn it kid friendly?

Turning blood off would be easy. Lifeforms be made undestructable to avoid dissection.

Being eaten by predators might be too shocking for age under 6, adults like would love the experience. Predator agrression and behaviour could be moddable.

So how much programming effort would be wasted?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I do not like quests one bit! It's certainly just my preference, but I don't need a game telling me what to do and giving me fake points for doing it.

I'd like to make Subnautica intrinsically rewarding - it's fun and worth spending your time on for it's own sake, not because a game designer wants me to feel some sort of fake-progress. I've never liked CRPGs though (but I LOVE paper RPGs as they are player-driven).

I really like having the game explicitly acknowledge when I've noticed something new though. The camera in beyond good and evil was great for this. I'd see something cool, take a picture of it, and then the game would tell me what I'd found and add it to the database.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2014
    moultano wrote: »

I really like having the game explicitly acknowledge when I've noticed something new though. The camera in beyond good and evil was great for this. I'd see something cool, take a picture of it, and then the game would tell me what I'd found and add it to the database.

I'd prefer it if I didn't know the name of a fish, until I had photographed and caught one. Then I had to catalogue it. This would bring up all basic data.

Taking a DNA sample would then give me advanced data on the lifeform.

--edit--

Maybe they'd also contain general species data that would only be gained after examining X number of a certain species.

--edit2--
    Combine Flash Light, Battery, scrap metal and carbon to make a camera, that is required for cataloguing.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I wouldn't like it to be called "kids mode". More like easy mode or casual mode.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Can I, eh - i mean , the kids have a freeplay ecco the dolphin mode? (or xxxx the equivalent of a dolphin on this planet mode) With jumping flips and all the other fun?

edit:
    You can even add this suggested camera catalog thing onto it... just let the dolphin screech(like ecco does in the video at times) at other creatures to "take a picture" and at the creature to the catalog.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Koruyo wrote: »
    Can I, eh - i mean , the kids have a freeplay ecco the dolphin mode? (or xxxx the equivalent of a dolphin on this planet mode) With jumping flips and all the other fun?

edit:
    You can even add this suggested camera catalog thing onto it... just let the dolphin screech(like ecco does in the video at times) at other creatures to "take a picture" and at the creature to the catalog.

I don't know if kids need to play a dolphin or if this makes sense in subnautica, but some things in the movie would be good for the game:

- dolphinlike lifeforms that could act as helping companions, including attaching to companions to carry you, or defending you
    - sonar weapons, tools and predators (sonar is unbloody and kid-friendly)
    - sonar hit effects (if you are hit, sight gets blurred and control axes get switched to simulate disorientation)
    - the ability for high speed jumps from underwater out of water (like dolphins are capable)

I also like the idea of a ecosystem database, where you gather data of a lifeform. Taking photos or dna of a fish, samples of a plant, or dig and uncover a fossil, extracting possible dna to revive an extinct species. So you could play hunting and searching for rare species. Maybe trade the collected items with others if rare enough.