Oxygen mechanics

NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
Something in another thread prompted me to think about current oxygen mechanics. And I should say right away I don’t really have a problem with it, there is a lot going for the current system:
1. It limits the length of the dive
2. It forces time management elements
3. It encourages player to expand O2 reserves (craft tanks)
4. It poses strategic choices – one more tank or extra space

However what it does not do at least for me personally is give appreciation of oxygen. It’s just too easily available. It limits the dive yes, but at no point I am thinking “If I don’t head back now I will die”

So I’d like to suggest an alternative (without any real expectation any part of it will be adopted into the game, just airing some ideas with people who seems to have similar interests)

1. Keep the natural dive short, lung capacity allowing for say between 30 and 60 seconds (humans can easily be trained for more, but not when they are active – swimming, mining, lifting, etc)
2. Make O2 tank hold considerable amount of oxygen – say 10 minutes worth
3. Make refilling tank a challenging process

a. Player will have to build and deploy oxygen extractor (extractor will come with compression unit to liquefy the oxygen, filtration system and tank outlet, etc)
b. To work oxygen will need power… say from a solar or tidal generator you have built separately
c. Extracting and compressing O2 takes time, in fact just a bit longer than to spend it (I.e. to compress enough oxygen for 1 minute dive you need 1 minute and 10 seconds)

What I hope such system will achieve is:
  • Encourage player to try to be efficient and not waste oxygen doing noting or wondering without a plan (unless of course wondering blindly AKA exploration IS the plan ;) )
  • Encourage surface travel while at the same time pose tactical decision - why waste oxygen when you can take a wave-runner or keep submersible on the surface? Oh yeah cause of predatory birds, severe weather, choppy sea and more! Basically do I want to be safe under water or do I want save resources on the surface?
  • Add gameplay elements such as malfunctioning or ruptured tanks. You could do this now of course, but ruptured tank when you are 30 seconds from the surface is one thing, raptured tank when you are in the cave 4 minutes away from the breathable air is another.
  • Introduce elements of power management and base planning. You generator can provide power to only so many system and building more generators is neither easy task nor is it without drawback. So you have to choose what to build and what to power up at any given moment.
  • Force decisions during the dive? Do I stay another 30 seconds to collect these sapphires? But that would be cutting it pretty close on the oxygen. On the other hand if I turn back now that’s a whole new long dive to get the gems, between getting to the surface, refilling the tank and getting back – 10 minutes or more.
  • Introduce the concepts of supplies and expedition/dive planning. Don’t just go off half- cocked. Fill several tanks, load them on your submersible, plan the dives, consider the dive timetable, etc.

Of course eventually player will have a base with enough power and enough oxygen machines and big enough submersibles to store all the tanks you want… but until then player will have to really think about oxygen if her/his plans for the day include breathing. ;)

Comments

• CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    This would essentially turn oxygen into a hunger system of sorts right? Sometimes when I think about this I cant help but wonder if Subnautica will be more about the survival of the player or survival of his/her equipment. it might make sense considering the advanced technology that the player has access to. Just a strange thought to add to your point I guess.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Personally, I really don't want any grindy tasks in the main gameplay loop. If I'm going to craft things, I want them to be permanent upgrades, not disposable things that I have to go craft again.

I'd be happy if eventually I become so at home in the water that I never have to return to the surface. In the meantime, if you want to add some tension, just make the surface a little less hospitable or less available. Make interesting things really deep. Put interesting things in caves. Add crazy dangerous storms. All of these would make oxygen management interesting but not grindy.

I'd like to think of oxygen the way I think of hearts in zelda. More hearts lets you explore further, and getting more hearts is a central part of the progression in the game, but to refill them, all you have to do is get home to a safe place.
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    Great ideas imo. I like the idea of trivializing oxygen management as you progress because I think if its really hard to get oxygen forever it will eventually become tedious.

I have a related concern that I'd appreciate a Dev's thoughts on. As the ocean gets deeper, the amount of vertical empty water increases. In areas with large depths before you get to the floor, it will become a boring hassle if you have to decend through a minute of empty water just to get to the interesting parts. Then when you are running out of air, its right back up through the same empty expanse of water to refill your tank and then immediately you have to go back through the void down to where you want to explore.
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    edited November 2014
    Castle wrote: »
    This would essentially turn oxygen into a hunger system of sorts right?

Well I was thinking more along the lines of fuel rather than hunger, you don't need fuel to survive but it lets you go places and do thing. On the other hand just about every place here would require it... Thanks, for the feedback, I'll have to think it over.

And personally I very much home Subnautica will be mostly about exploration (and just purely geographical either), survival and construction/crafting can take back seat as far as I am concerned.

• NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Norton wrote: »
    Then when you are running out of air, its right back up through the same empty expanse of water to refill your tank and then immediately you have to go back through the void down to where you want to explore.

I think the idea is that you can refill oxygen at your submersible. So once you get your sub to the location you can use it as a field base and stay as long as you like.