Subnautica islands

Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
So recently this showed up on the trello board

land_plant_middle_01_in_game.jpg

Its a tree which means we will almost defiantly get some small islands.

The islands will probably be the floating islands from the concept art
CoralReefZone7_Small-1024x576.jpg

I can only guess the islands will be for a seal-like animal and the birds.

So what does everybody think of islands?

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    islands are op and should be nerfed. perhaps by the addition of lemon trees?
  • BandersaurBandersaur Australia Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199120Members
    What are the giant limpet things on the underside of the landmass? Are they a bubble creature we have to keep alive to prevent the island from sinking?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited October 2014
    Bandersaur wrote: »
    What are the giant limpet things on the underside of the landmass? Are they a bubble creature we have to keep alive to prevent the island from sinking?
    Those are indeed creatures that are keeping the island afloat. There are going to be smaller versions of them in the game as well that you will be able to stick to stuff to make things float, which should be fun.

We haven't discussed having to keep the giant ones alive in order to keep the islands afloat, that is an interesting idea, but there are some big technical issues with having those islands move/sink. They are made out of the same voxel terrain that the rest of the world is, and at the moment there is no easy way to move large chunks of voxels. We have discussed how it would be neat if the islands could move around in the world, but likely the time to get that to work on the programming side is out of the scope for the time being.
  • SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
    I wonder if sometime in the far future development of on-island life will be important... Thats thinking way far off but it would definitely be fun.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That concept art is wonderful. I wonder if we will see little fish evolving to pina colada mammals on these islands.
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Love the concept art. Love the idea of the islands. Wonder if these could be used to build bases or facilities on with appropriate trade-off (for example building a habitat on the island is much cheaper/easier then underwater base, but on the other hand it would be exposed to storms, tidal waves... not to mention the ones in the art look like they can sink any moment ;) )
  • FacepunchFacepunch Canada, Eh? Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176042Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just had an dumb idea amazing idea!
    What if the Islands aren't landmasses
    but giant docile creatures that allow things to grow on it?
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think that is what the reefbacks are (But reefbacks are underwater)
  • FacepunchFacepunch Canada, Eh? Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176042Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There should be a Subspecies of reefback that has to have it's back above water, thus allowing a moving landmass?
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I agree that would be awesome. Islandbacks FTW
  • DopiestraptorDopiestraptor australia Join Date: 2015-02-07 Member: 201239Members
    I have seen the islands!! They are floating! I have a screen shot, but yea it is epic!!
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    ^^ I really wish your attachment was working!
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    edited February 2015
    Just click on it, it showed it for me :)

Ah, question are these island(s) in experimental or the regular build
  • alphaman94alphaman94 Join Date: 2015-02-07 Member: 201248Members
    Build a compass and take the South West direction from the escape pod.

n6P5mREc.jpg LxORP74D.jpg IMkXmaNw.jpg 3DbQueXA.jpg ENZHClxX.jpg VG9Np5pn.jpg 7yoyM3m4.jpg ykGai3kw.jpg v2QvLZnh.jpg KP3IuSjl.jpg XOhUblS0.jpg YMZkrG9D.jpg oVWCrPFg.jpg
    Well, the Escape pod... changes spawn randomly :P but because of that picture I know where it is, at least
    Ill update to experimental just for fun and see what it offers :D
    Found this almost directly below the island. Along with a large area that looks suspiciously like dead coral.
    Hehe, yep those "Koosh" plants have been around for awhile ;) we're not sure what they're used for,but you can harvest them with a knife
    I thought the Koosh plants were the large bulbous purple things. I tried to cut the rope that is keeping them down, but to no avail.
    Umm yeah, looked up the wiki and the Koosh zone is the large purple things. As referenced here: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Koosh_Zone

I've seen that before, and that definitely was not what I found.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    While the floating islands cannot move in-game, perhaps they could spawn semi-randomly at each new game.
    Ahh
    Misnamed and miswrote
    Yep, you're right those aren't koosh plants, but yea I've seen those strange entities before too XD
  • The_HawkThe_Hawk South Africa Join Date: 2015-02-12 Member: 201321Members
    HOLY MOLY and for Fireman's sake is there no end to discovery in this game this is so awesome I picked up this game about three days ago and I just cant put it down just built myself the compass found the island you guys rock keep up the AWSOME work man this is going to be a legendary game when complete

LOVE your ideas and development philosophy love the concept of our actions affecting the world around us too ....just love this game

yea maybe I am coming off a bit fan boy like but man have not seen a game that has deserved it more between you guys, ksp and project zomboid it looks like alpha access has finally allowed devs to make the games people have been yearning for but no triple A dev team will touch

anyhow I'm off again to keep playing

ps ps just LOVE the caving aspect as well