Fun bug: using fish as a taxi service/location guide

sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
So when you pick up certain creatures (haven't tested them all) and take them with you, they swim back to their original spot once released.

You can use this to follow the creatures back where you found them as a kind of bookmark system (seemingly regardless of distance, though I haven't tested anything super extreme yet), and even cooler: you can actually put them in your pod and have it taxied to the spot!

The taxi service appears to work best (out of what I've tested so far, at least) with Peepers, Bladderfish, and Hoverfish, with Hoverfish possibly doing it slightly faster. I can't really tell if multiple fish increase the speed at all, but it feels like it. Of course, eventually you'll cap out at the fish's max speed, but 2-3 fish may make the trip a bit quicker.

You can also ride on the roof of your new taxi for a nice view :) Oh and yes, you can have multiple fish from different areas, and taxi back and forth whenever you release the appropriate fish into the pod.

Tip for using them as a guide you swim with rather than a taxi: catch and release them close to the surface if possible... it's going to be really tough to find them again if you have to go up for air.

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    If that is a bug, keep it! Thanks for the information anyway. :)
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    wow this is awesome . I know why that's happening, and it's not a bug, but I didn't expect it to be used this way!

each fish is actually its own individual self. with the exception of the big schools.
  • CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    I didn't even think about this being possible haha!!
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    We totally had all of this in mind when we did the fish behaviors. Totally.
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    edited November 2014
    I wouldn't be sad if the ability to do this was left in for awhile, by the way. It's a very fun and silly way to re-explore areas.... or if I'm being honest to how I actually use it: driving around in circles for hours just because I can.

This is a prime example of why I love early development stages of games. Crashes aren't very pleasurable, but playing with core mechanics (particularly physics, AI, and movement exploitation like climbing supposedly unclimbable areas [or speed glitches]) before QA takes over and 'fixes' everything is some of the most fun in gaming for me. Granted a finished game can still have all kinds of awesome weirdness to it, but never as much as something early in the pipes.