Hmmm, will the cave system be procedurally generated?

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Hi.

I know the game will be hand crafted which is the way to go since it's absolutely beautiful, and then it occurred to me that having the cave system procedurally generated would add allot of depth to the exploration of the under water alien world.

Just thinking here...

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Earlier builds of the game did use procedural generation heavily. The issue was the game did not look nearly as good as it does now. There are a ton of limitations to generation in the kind of the environment that is being built for Subnautica and the switch to hand crafted places was (in my opinion) totally worth it. The difference in quality is completely worth the time it takes to make the map.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited November 2014
    Comprox wrote: »
    Earlier builds of the game did use procedural generation heavily. The issue was the game did not look nearly as good as it does now. There are a ton of limitations to generation in the kind of the environment that is being built for Subnautica and the switch to hand crafted places was (in my opinion) totally worth it. The difference in quality is completely worth the time it takes to make the map.

Okay no problem.

I agree with the map itself being done by hand anything else wouldn't work, and would cheapen the beauty, and variety of the game.

The game is fun, and beautiful.

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Perhaps the related point is that the cave system is, at least currently, somewhat monotonous. If this going to continue to be the case, then the procedural approach below the surface would allow for a more diverse system with not as much hand work. However, if UWE intends to add their touch of unique and beautiful environments to all of the cave systems, I agree that non-procedural is the way to go.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The Forest also is not procedurally generated, but at first I thought it was due to the complexity of the forest. So it can work perfectly. that is if there are enough caves and the world is big enough to make it seem randomly generated. After a while though I found the perfect spot for my cabin and at that point The Forest gradually lost my interest to some extent, so there is that possible issue :o
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Perhaps the related point is that the cave system is, at least currently, somewhat monotonous. If this going to continue to be the case, then the procedural approach below the surface would allow for a more diverse system with not as much hand work. However, if UWE intends to add their touch of unique and beautiful environments to all of the cave systems, I agree that non-procedural is the way to go.
    Yes, many of those caves have not had a lot of work done yet to detail them out. Also, new props and textures and concept images continue to be worked on, which all add to the level designers ability to decorate and differentiate their various cave systems.