Active NS1 Servers?

venimvenim Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75148Members
NS1 forum is a ghost town... and so is the playercount in the server browser. Are there any U.S. servers that are still somewhat populated in peak hours? I'm kinda missing those days of NSArmsLab and such. NS2 never really kept my interest (for a variety of reasons) =\

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Are there any U.S. servers that are still somewhat populated in peak hours?

No, not for at least a few years now. Some NS2 communities might run a NS1 night, though.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Where I live (US east coast) there was a single server that became fairly well populated most nights, although I haven't actually started up NS1 in a year or so now. Could be gone by this point. There are some NS2 communities that do occasional NS1 gathers
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    As I recall, the current version of dedicated server experience issues with NS1 (due to hl.exe 1.1.2.2), am I wrong?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    METROID wrote: »
    As I recall, the current version of dedicated server experience issues with NS1 (due to hl.exe 1.1.2.2), am I wrong?
    There have been some NS1 nights in Europe as far as I can tell. If remember there was some trickery making it work the first time (some specific HL versions or so), but there seems to be an existing workaround at the very least.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    you're going to have the choice of playing combat, siege or in marine/alien only servers vs bots.
  • venimvenim Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75148Members
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry to hear there aren't any active servers anymore :(
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @venim, I tried to play on LAN, but have alot of trouble running HL1 with the NS mod. In the end, I gave up because too many of us were waiting to play something... I really should have saved a version of HL1 without the STEAM update (that killed it I reckon).
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @Cannon_FodderAUS‌, there is always a pir*ate solution exist (but you can't use STEAM tho').
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    I was able to download all the stuff and found a workaround how to. But I wasn't able to join some server (at least there were about 5 Server online) I don't know why, but I got disconnected after 30secs. In LAN it works without any problems.
    Workaround:
    http://gather.evolvens.com/
    NS1 Mod Download
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/natural-selection/downloads/natural-selection-v32-installer

This solution is not something pirate, you just downgrade your hl1 by replacing the hl1 folder. It also works with Steam.
  • venimvenim Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75148Members
    These workarounds unfortunately aren't a great solution since most people (probably myself included) won't be bothered to do that kind of setup. I see that natural selection was opensourced though on github. The day I ever have free time I'd try to patch it up (fat chance of that happening :P ). Looks like NS2 is it then.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    WONGA will never die!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wouldn't mind having a game, perhaps if someone sets up a game one night and posts on here see what we get ?