End Goal?

NiklasdiverNiklasdiver Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146675Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
Will there be any sort of objective to the game besides exploration?

Comments

• trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
    Is exploration not a goal in and of itself? "Gotta catalogue em' all"
  • NiklasdiverNiklasdiver Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146675Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    trisdino wrote: »
    Is exploration not a goal in and of itself? "Gotta catalogue em' all"
    The joy of exploring the world sure will be a great factor in such an unused setting, but that can not be the only driving factor of a game.
    I think subnautica could fall flat on its face if that is the case, especially when the world is not randomly generated.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I ASSUME that there will also be lore and story..
  • NiklasdiverNiklasdiver Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146675Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    An example for this would be Kerbal Space Program. Once you figure out how to design a rocket and reliably getting to other planets you lose the drive to play. I fear that the same thing could happen in Subnautica, but much more quickly.
    I ASSUME that there will also be lore and story..

A backstory yes, but there will not be any ongoing plot, games in this genre do not have those.

As is the case with most games like this, there almost certainly will not be and end, in this day of DayZ, Minecraft, Rust, and so on, that is to be expected.

DayZ and Rust have a competetive element, Minecraft builds on a players creativity. All the games you named have an element of exploration, but that wears off very fast. I fear the same thing might happen to Subnautica, especially due to a much smaller world and lack of multiplayer.
    Are you really already going to say that exploration is not going to last? All of those previous games, as you said, have multiple other elements in them, but in Subnautica, every single part of the game ties into the exploration.

I think it is fair to say that if the devs make a good game, they will have made it by focusing on the exploration. I do not think that Subnautica will have the replayability of a game with infinite amounts of randomly generated maps, but that does not mean it will run out quickly.
    edited October 2014
    Are you really already going to say that exploration is not going to last?

Yes, a good game can not only be about exploration, even less so if the environment is very limited in size.

Who says the environment is very limited in size?

Are you basing this off the statement that the pre-alpha build of the game is not a very large area? Or is there something here I do not know? Of course a game can be all about exploring, you saying it cannot simply implies that you are not willing to accept a game that is not incredibly long. As far as games go, 10 hours is a decent length, and anything above 20 is long.

A game can easily be all about exploring.
  • SquiddapultSquiddapult Canada Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199111Members
    Who says the environment is very limited in size?

Are you basing this off the statement that the pre-alpha build of the game is not a very large area? Or is there something here I do not know? Of course a game can be all about exploring, you saying it cannot simply implies that you are not willing to accept a game that is not incredibly long. As far as games go, 10 hours is a decent length, and anything above 20 is long.

A game can easily be all about exploring.

You seem to be assuming a lot about a game that we have very little information to. Im the first person to say I want exploration to be the main meat of this game, but I also would like some sort of actual game within that, goals and small tasks, whether set by myself or the game. I think if we stay away from "fight this, kill that, collect x number of y" we should have something very unique and interesting.
    I am not assuming anything, I am talking in possibilities.
  • Azure_FireAzure_Fire Join Date: 2014-10-21 Member: 199068Members
    The current end goal (based upon the Trello board and twitter feed) are to make the planet habitable before colonists, or a ship arrive. How one does this, I have no idea. There is also going to be a freeplay mode (not sure if I have the correct term) that removes time constraints and some other factors from the game, which should really allow people to focus on exploration. So it looks like we're in for the best of both worlds.
  • BandersaurBandersaur Australia Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199120Members
    Seriously? That sounds amazing~
    That actually sounds really nice.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yes - that's correct!

The current plan is to have Normal and Freedom modes, where Freedom has no timed goals and Normal is all about making the planet habitable before the colonists arrive.

It's still in the early stages so you won't see Normal mode in the first build on Friday, and probably not for at least a few weeks after that. I think it could be really interesting though.

I think of it a bit like the scoring chart in Agricola (attached) - there would be many ways to earn points, but the way you do that, and the order, and what you choose to specialize in, would be up to you.
  • RiktorRiktor United States Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199129Members
    Will the objective of making the planet habitable be an actual timed goal where you can fail if you don't make it in time (and how long would this time window be) or is it more of a post game assessment of how long you took to do so?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    If you make it a timed mode, make it in phases. So that you have x time to complete a phase, and much time of it.

The time limit is then probably also easier to comprehend.
  • gwacagwaca Join Date: 2014-09-26 Member: 198731Members
    I think the comunity should be able to create new parts for the map and send them to UWE.
    Then they can try to include the new part in the map of Subnautica.
    So the map gets bigger and bigger and you can explore more and more.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @gwaca‌

I think the majority of people (not just in this community) would have a hard time creating sections of map that not only mesh with other parts, but meet the visual quality standards of UWE (they put a lot of detail into everything).
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    Have a feeling that the goal should be:
    -Establish a Sattelitenetwork back to Spacestation ForwardearthbaseOne and tell them that this planet isn´t safe vor MassKolonisation yet.
    You probably won´t sent Millions of Settlers right into the mouth of this giant Spacesquid that destroyed the first big ship.
    A timelimit could also be interpreted with the Mainbattery on your lifeboat running dry.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @gwaca‌
    gwaca wrote: »
    I think the comunity should be able to create new parts for the map and send them to UWE.
    I may be wrong, but i believe these tools exist currently for you to make such attempts. (map editor was released here for players to prototype with + it's unity)
    It's just an assumption, but given UWE's past of incorporating content from the community, it's not a far stretch to imagine that if you made something beautiful, fun, and in line with the theme of the game - that they may be tempted to implement it.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @gwaca‌
    gwaca wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but i believe these tools exist currently for you to make such attempts. (map editor was released here for players to prototype with + it's unity)
    It's just an assumption, but given UWE's past of incorporating content from the community, it's not a far stretch to imagine that if you made something beautiful, fun, and in line with the theme of the game - that they may be tempted to implement it.

currently there are no plans for mod support.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Awwww, ok.. :-/
    Thanks for the info anyways