Working on (hopefully) a new community map.

FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
With stratos complete I'm now taking on a new project. I'm currently trying to get a proof of concept going for my next map and I would love to hear some suggestions from everyone. Please keep in mind that this is a really rough concept.
CE16d80.jpg
I'm trying to figure out how to make the center of the map feel more open without being so big. Invisible walls are out of the question and the only 2 things I can think of is adding some sort of force field or make the walls and ceiling entirely out of glass.

If anyone is interested in helping out with the map please let me know. I really would love some help with this project.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Since you're starting a new map from scratch, here's my suggestion. Make it SMALL! Seriously, we need more small, really really compact maps. Tram is the smallest map ns2 has currently, and afaik it's the oldest official map. Most custom maps start off being WAAYYY too big, so if nothing else, it would be interesting seeing the process start at the opposite end of the spectrum. Just make sure you have LOTS of nooks and crannies like Tram does, otherwise marines will stomp every time.

The biggest obstacle here is the arc ranges, of course. I'm not opposed to hive's being arcable... I mean... that's what they're for. But you gotta watch out for them being cheesey (ie > 2 corners to go around to defend against arcs, plus long hallways... etc.)

As far as wacky ideas... I've had one for a while now. It sounds really stupid at first, but hear me out. What if the map takes place on some kind of airship, maybe something like the helicarrier from Avengers. You know... not in space, but far enough off the ground to where you're effectively on a floating island. Most of the map would be contained inside the ship, but there would be a couple of outside-access areas. These could almost function as massive vents for aliens. It would have to be surrounded by invisible walls to prevent aliens from going too far away. They wouldn't be hindered from flying all around the ship but... that's not really accomplishing very much, so there's not much point in really hindering that.

I just think it'd be cool to fight on a big ship, occasionally passing through the clouds (if you're outside).
  • FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
    I think there's already too many spaceship maps out there. What I could do is make 1/3 of the map (essentially 1 side of the cliff) a crash airship of some sort that's buried within the rubble and debris.

I really want to avoid using invisible walls. I was thinking something along the lines of a death trigger ceiling, kind of what they have in Gravity on descent.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Fivz wrote: »
    I really want to avoid using invisible walls. I was thinking something along the lines of a death trigger ceiling, kind of what they have in Gravity on descent.

Well that's even more frustrating. Not only can you not see the wall, but you lose your lifeform as well.
    Of course there's going to be some sort of visual where you can see it. it'll most likely be a damage trigger instead of a death trigger. I referenced Gravity on descent which has an electrified ceiling so I would assume you knew what I was talking about.
    Ah I see.

I like the idea of a crashed airship being 1/3rd of the map too.
    Is there way to to add automatic doors or Elevators? I know there's a door entity but can I change the model somehow?
    Is there way to to add automatic doors or Elevators? I know there's a door entity but can I change the model somehow?

No, we're stuck with the default two door models, unless you want to use the Extra Entities Mod... which I don't recommend. (Doors are a bit buggy in that)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    Yes
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

No, we're stuck with the default two door models, unless you want to use the Extra Entities Mod... which I don't recommend. (Doors are a bit buggy in that)
    You can make your own door rather easily or you can ask me for the source.

edited October 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Your definition of "easy" is quite different from mine... ;) (Unless you're referring to some non-lua way of doing this? :/ )
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts

Your definition of "easy" is quite different from mine... ;) (Unless you're referring to some non-lua way of doing this? :/ )
    Creating a door and animating it is rather easy. Then it's just a matter of changing the editor_setup to allow you to change models.
    edited October 2014

Creating a door and animating it is rather easy. Then it's just a matter of changing the editor_setup to allow you to change models.

Ah, interesting... So what does the "clean" option actually DO? Does it just append "_clean" to the name of whatever model is specified?

Ah, interesting... So what does the "clean" option actually DO? Does it just append "_clean" to the name of whatever model is specified?

Yes.
    I'll make an option to change door model.
    edited October 2014

Yes.
    I'll make an option to change door model.

Don't forget to break ladders! >:)
  • logan3logan3 switzerland Join Date: 2014-10-11 Member: 198931Members
    humm still noob i can't help i guess.
    a huge room in the middle =D loocks nice, since we can't see players far enough i suggest limiting the walkable way somehow, deathtrigger could be funny with some kind of shieldlike texture
    maby i can help a little. if your interested in this kind of structure i tryed out to limit the walkway. https://www.dropbox.com/s/n80tao3nzudm48v/try4.level?dl=0 i could reproduce some of this as a wrap of windows. its timeconsuming but i got the time =)
    found a way to make the inner triangle paralel to the outer one xD this way texture can fit atleast on 2 sides
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    A big room in the middle is exposing the map to the same issue with Refinery and Docking. Great care could not save Docking. One must be careful about making a huge room in the center.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlwjuk4mgbox6rv/gang.bmp?dl=0 on this example you find 3 fitting segments wich make a hallway. (like if there where 3 identical props)
    i like thinner more, its more open visualy
    the segments fit well together
    i hope the number of faces is acceptable: 864 / 3 = 288 per segment.
    (a while i was thinking its unaccurate but i snapped on grid instead of corner *=))

still you'd need to hide one room from another in the open area with walls or props if they'r distant i guess

it can be small rooms and hallways but open visualy anyway
    My biggest concern is the draw distance and If I can make the occlusion geometry tight enough. Room size and travel distance should be fine otherwise. The more glass or "Invisible walls" I add, the less occlusion. A lot of this can be fixed If I had access to elevators and automatic doors.
    i thought by this example that marines could have drilled through discy stone or disky vegetation like giant mashrom. (oh man always thos giant mashrooms =D ). anithing disky would work
    only the structure form mathers, i got inspired by gyger and did want to try an outside of this kind
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6an38ez8s62mme/try6.level?dl=0
    .. still thinking and trying, hopefully for something different,

sry i uploaded a .level file cose screenshots wouldnt talk about this becose i have no outside texture
    edited October 2014
    doh, i found a good angle for the screenshot atlast. https: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfhqav24rne4r5n/disc concept.png?dl=0
    maby it was more the need to show wich stoped me from screenshot.. =P
    aan occlusion concept without occlusioncully xD
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Your original screenshot shows water.
    You can perhaps make (big) waterfalls with freezing water. (doing damage) so folk stay out?

/known nothing of mapping
    nice one darkling =) only a lerk could be mad enough to get out of sight then =D.
    humm, i stop writing here till i get a reply else it gets penetrant..
    The occlusion and draw distance are going to cause too many problems. Sadly I have to minimize the amount of glass and Open view areas in order to make this work. I could add a glass arch ceiling depending on the area though.

This is my current progress with the map.
    zJzqEh0.jpg