Natural Selection 2 trailer fan made

CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
edited October 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Every scene represents in game footage recorded during live gameplay. My thanks to all Playtesters and the Community Development Team for their hard work and continued effort to further improve this already fantastic game.

Natural Selection 2 trailer

Comments

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Psudeo-music video? Yes.
    Trailer? at 4 minutes and nothing happening, I fear not.

Good work though.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorgous style with the grainy corners and stuff! I would prefere you hadn't gone with it for the entire video though.
    You stay far too long in the atmosphere part.
    The music is fitting and sets a good mood for the video, but you could've made the transitions in the song fit better with your transitions in your video imo.

Overall I enjoyed the video. I just wish we had better tools to make this kind of stuff in ns2. Like a proper replay system etc. But you've shown that it's definetely possible, with proper effort, to make a good ns2 video, so thanks!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited October 2014
    youtub is infamous for making things dark, and with an already darkish game you might wanna make all of that BRIGHTER. looks like washed out gray tone over everything. but nice scenes, i wish they was more vivid so we could see them better, The ending was the BEST thing ever though :) that typical alien voice soo good!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    It's Super Effective! it's my second attempt at game trailer. I have much to learn :) to be as good as You are. I wanted it to be a little nostalgic. You are probably right it is a litle to long. Next time i will take it into consideration.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

-A trailer is short.
    -Find a story and get a storyboard that fit a trailer size (1 min).
    -Make 3 part: Introduction, challenge, resolution. the last part can be replace for a trailer with a question. "Do you have the guts, son?" etc...

-The black lines delimiting the focus and dark blur areas. You played with the black lines and then it stops. Try make 2, 3 scenes then move the lines, and 2, 3 scene etc...

You may consider playing with the "Cinematic editor".
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    -A trailer is short.
    -Find a story and get a storyboard that fit a trailer size (1 min).
    -Make 3 part: Introduction, challenge, resolution. the last part can be replace for a trailer with a question. "Do you have the guts, son?" etc...

-The black lines delimiting the focus and dark blur areas. You played with the black lines and then it stops. Try make 2, 3 scenes then move the lines, and 2, 3 scene etc...

You may consider playing with the "Cinematic editor".

I do prefer my "good job!'
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2014
    The music in the video reminded me that I am not pleased with current menu music (yes I know exactly how stupid that statement sounded =P)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I liked a lot of aspects about it but there is some I don't like. I hope to offer some constructive criticism.
    It was too long. The first two minutes had me bored. Show me some action. Showing off the graphics is good but way too much time was dedicated to that. At the 2 minute mark I began to be entertained. Even then the little sections were too long. For example the "You have to be prepared" and "you need teamwork were short and succinct. In contrast "Nerves of steel" lasted 24 seconds. Yes it had some good action but was I was getting dull.

In my opinion you have some work to do, but this is great. Keep it up! A great trailer might be what brings in new players.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    For what it's worth

Book : Syd Field / Scenario
    I made 16 bookmarks on my copy. ~250 pages. That should indicate something.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    negative:
    -too dragged out early on (you don't have to use the entire song if you cut/fade it right)
    -not really synchronised with the music: when sh*t goes down (e.g. beginning of refrain) have something awesome starting at the same moment in the scene, or cut to a new & eye-candy one. at very least have some action going on, not lone machinery doing everyday routine work without any marine or alien nearby; in contrast, someone seeing the onos for the first time sees it during the possibly calmest part of the track.

positive:
    -the artsy additions are nice
    -mostly very nice scene content / layout
    -music fits the mood
    -regarding the text, the idea fits (ns2 is quite a challenge)

overall, i think you got some artistic talent (e.g. chosing nice scenery) and the focus to put in enough effort to come up with something great as soon as you have the practise. consider watching some more professional trailers and/or music videos and try to analyse their structure too (though some stuff seem a bit overused, such as the massive amount of screen filling blackness).
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    This is my troll comment, there are many like it, but this one is mine :-@
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @CarNagE1‌ awesome job. I have never seen the game on hi details with rich infest as a spectator (my lowly PC can't handle that) perspective. The amount of detail in the game is amazing. I think what has already been suggested probably has given you alot of food for thought. ISE's NS2 explained in 1 minute is a good guide to a tight trailer, though I have to say, I like your action sequences as it show cases the team work aspect, while the NS2 explained in about one minute is more about showing the game off.

Also, if you can work on some slo-mo for kills it would be awesome.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited October 2014
    I think a bit of explanation is in order.
    This isn't actually supposed to be a "trailer" per say. It's more of a showcase. It was meant to display the amount of detail that the game packs and entice people to sit back and "feel the atmosphere". Its not an action gameplay trailer or a frag video. It's actually more of an animated mosaic. As he's not a native speaker of English, CarNagE struggled to find the right word to express what it was that he was actually trying to make and simply settled on "trailer" as a compromise.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    oic. In that case, may be some panning zoom and pull away shots would also be nice to show off the atmosphere. And for the tension part, may be have a alien ambush in spectator perspective (damn, ambush are cool). I always jump out of my seat when I got bitten on the first bite of an ambush.
  • KendallKendall Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14402Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Nice job, like your choice of music and scenes, but would agree it is a bit too long for brand new player introductions - good to show acclimated players though to see things they may not have seen already, or to see it in a new perspective.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can make an atmospheric movie, but personally, I didn't experience that, maybe it's the UI you have on there, or the scenes felt detached from the music.

Heck, why not actually try and make a music video, at least you can be focused on an expected delivery. Sync up some scenes appropriate to music, I think people will dig it.

I thought of making a music video way back when before NS2 got released using the soundtrack of Terminator Salvation (yes I know, terrible movie, but I liked the soundtrack)

Imagine some NS2 action scenes with the following music.

you've just been mindblown GL :)
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    ^ not available in germany :cry:

afaik the ns2 soundtrack also has the advantage of not getting your videos deleted/disabled because UWE stated somewhere that we are free to use it for non-commercial purposes (am i right about that?)
    edited October 2014
    This: http://unknownworlds.com/video-policy/

But you only need to worry about that if you intend to monitize the video.

If you're just making a video just for fun under creative commons and not earning money through ad revenue then you can make whatever, but it will probably have content ID associated with it.

Like "This video contains X song in it" and thus will probably display some kind of ad on it to purchase the album.

But of course if you are uploading video verbatim, like a popular video game trailer that you did not produce, or a movie, then it will get taken down and your account flagged.