New hive type

SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I propose a new hive called the Bee Hive, with two new abilities: Buzz and Sting.

Using Buzz, any Marines in the same room as you can only hear a deafening Buzz.

Using Sting, any Marine that you have hit will continue to see the damage indicator flicker rapidly from random directions, but will not actually be taking damage.

The associated Bee structure releases swarms of bees at timed intervals. These bees produce honey.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What does the honey do?

Bees need trees to pollinate. Does this mean we are bringing back lemon trees? I was so sad those got taken out.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Bee hive only works on Maps with trees.
    SO.. Kodiak.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    bees are friendly and generally won't sting space marines. documented proof:

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I've always wanted Bees in a game!
    @radionaut‌ They may not sting "space" Marines, but I am living proof they sting the shit out of normal Marines. ;)

Instead of a sting that just confuses marines, (overlapping with shade hive) why not apply pheromones?
    Bees leave potent pheromones all the time and even "fan" or "waft" them. They do this for many reasons like finding a tiny escape hole, or where they've successfully stung something, or even a "hey home is this way!" signal.

This could provide a long but temporary scan / hivesight of all marines within X range of the hive.
    Imagine waiting for the exact right moment to charge out of the hive room to take down that PG in the next room, without risking a lifeform or drifter by having a constant eye on what's in there. This also fits well with the defensive Buzz ability :)

p.s. thanks for not suggesting a "Swarm".. everyone wrongly assumes such a word is a dangerous thing, when in fact its the only time when you can play with handfuls of bees in your bare hands (seriously) without a remote concern of being stung!

• SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow.. you really are a bee expert. Gee whiz! Why won't they sting you in a swarm?
    james888 wrote: »
    What does the honey do?
    The honey.. makes delicious toast.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    Because they have no brood or resources to protect, (they actually transport their nectar in their stomach though) they are just following their queen. Once they have a home established this changes!

I also have a feeling they know that they are more important alive than dead in those fragile moments when they need as many bees as possible in order to generate wax to build new comb for a new shelter. Oh and also provide warmth by clumping together until the home is fully made. Warmth is very important because the queen will go sterile without it and brood (once they are laid) can become retarded and not find their way back home.

This theory wouldn't be much of a stretch because they very frequently exhibit altruistic tendencies - almost to a robot degree. (the drones [males] are killed in the winter because they don't help forage and just eat!)
    Of course they don't consciously make these decisions like we do, they are just the particular set of instinctual traits that survived 34 million years.

Ok, i'll stop now hehe

• GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bees could also evolve the trait to bunch up on a marine and flap wings fast to increase the temperature and cook the marines, like the do with the killer wasps in asia. Check this fact if you haven't it's awesome :)
    Bees are fearsome creatures :)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    why do I imagine those pheromone thing the same way as lerk was earlier? Every spike was like a little parasite (same for bites)
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I've always wanted Bees in a game!
    Already done! Haven't you heard about the famous AnaphylacticShock video game series?
    Insect_Swarm.png
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Sorry
    Can't hear you over the sound of the BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTing