Natural Selection 2 is Slowly Dying: (How do we change that?)

NexZone30NexZone30 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185719Members
edited September 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Over the past few months, players, myself included, have noticed a lack of new people and the loss of old ones. Obviously, this game has lost hundreds of players. Servers have been and are being abandoned. At the moment Sundays seem to be the only time when the game is truly active. So what are we going to do about it? (Don't believe me? Look at this: http://steamcharts.com/app/4920)

I feel the biggest issue at the plate right now is how the game is being developed to cater to the competitive community. Not that this is wrong, but that means the other half of the community (pub) is being left out. This is meant to be an idea thread, say what you want, just think about how we can fix problems like this.

Comments

• NexZone30NexZone30 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185719Members
    edited September 2014
    For example, I find that nerfing aliens adds nothing to the game. Nerfing gorges at the beginning of the game does nothing to change the percentages, if not only add to them. Aliens win through rushes (personally power rushes are my favorite and work 99% of the time) and they are encourage to do these rushes if there are no other options. This means quicker games and more alien wins. I suggest buffing power nodes and giving aliens more power/defense to stick up to marines in 1v1 to stop these sorts of poor games. Aimbotters and great, if not cheap shots, ruin games as well (Add something to the code to prevent aimbotting?).
  • NexZone30NexZone30 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185719Members
    edited September 2014
    RapGod wrote: »
    Do a search of 'ns2 dying' n I'm sure you'll find many threads.

Sure there is, but that's not what I'm trying for. I made sure to add "(HOW DO WE CHANGE THAT?)" for a reason.
  • DurolithDurolith QC Join Date: 2014-09-30 Member: 198783Members
    Well start by making it popular again ... just found this game browfing friends games... never heard of it before and my sister either...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Durolith wrote: »
    Well start by making it popular again ... just found this game browfing friends games... never heard of it before and my sister either...
    The game had great sales, and with that I would never call it popular. It needs a better way to retain players, which is astoundingly hard for a niche game.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I honestly think that a little press now that there have been HUGE improvements in the game could go a long way.

I think there are a lot of people who would come back to the game if they knew what the CDT was doing, and more that might come id they only knew what the game was (make it clear that it has an extremely high skill ceiling and give them more realistic system specs)

Maybe something special for B270?
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The face that people keep joining this forum to tell us NS2 is dying indicates to me that we'll be alright for a while. Seriously we know how to change this.

Publicity
    Performance Boosts (if even possible any more)
    Rookie Only Servers
    Tutorial System
    Matchmaking

Possibly Free to play. But that's a whole different discussion.

We also have established many times that this is a very Niche game. We all love it because we like a shooter that requires team work, tactical thinking, and a high skill ceiling. The masses prefer mindless games.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    you figure out what makes NS2 fun and put systems in place to maximize the percentage of time that players are having fun
    then they might stick around

if figuring out a way for your team to win the game is part of the fun, then why do games keep going for 20+ minutes after your team has run out of any options (or desire) to comeback?

if navigating environments to make plays and to respond to threats is part of the fun, then why is there so much glass everywhere and so much confusion about routes on the maps?

if responsive melee vs ranged combat is part of the fun, then why are high ping marines allowed to unload half a clip into skulks before the aliens even register anything even being fired?

if playing against opponents that are challenging (but not impossible to beat) is part of the fun, then why is there no system in place to try to make fair teams?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    biz wrote: »
    you figure out what makes NS2 fun and put systems in place to maximize the percentage of time that players are having fun
    then they might stick around

if figuring out a way for your team to win the game is part of the fun, then why do games keep going for 20+ minutes after your team has run out of any options (or desire) to comeback?

if navigating environments to make plays and to respond to threats is part of the fun, then why is there so much glass everywhere and so much confusion about routes on the maps?

if responsive melee vs ranged combat is part of the fun, then why are high ping marines allowed to unload half a clip into skulks before the aliens even register anything even being fired?

if playing against opponents that are challenging (but not impossible to beat) is part of the fun, then why is there no system in place to try to make fair teams?

@biz the 10-12 min game is usually a very one sided game that isn't winning by a rush. The 20 minute-30 minutes games are pretty standard for decent games (there is at least some contest on map control). It could also be one team having better players but can't coordinate their efforts to finish the game. If you are giving up after about 20minutes, then you are missing out on the best part of the game, where things can ebb and flow and change quickly.

I think you are confusing the map designs and openness of the game. There are many ways around, so teams are not just confronting each other at the same place. Siege maps are very linear, and that caters for a certain crowd, but it is not standard NS game play. I like the many routes out, so you can't block the other team expanding if you get a strong position at one place.

High ping players will be in every game, and this will always be a network issue. I don't think you can just say NS2 is crap with regards to net code of high ping players. It is the same for every game (some worse than others).

The new skill system for auto team balance is trying to address this. I haven't been playing since 269 landed because I am over seas, so would like to know how this is working out.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Closing this thread.
    THIS THREAD, is already open.
This discussion has been closed.