New Cpu help

N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
edited September 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Im hoping Matso or sum1 with the same knowledge can help, apologies if this has been answered already.

whats the most cores ns2 uses now? and in the possible future?

@July 2013 "matso" The client runs on about 2.2 cores or so ... ie, going from one core to two will make a very large difference, 2->4 will make a small difference, but going from 4->8 won't make any difference whatsoever.

Wondering if this is still the case as there is now the multi core phys option.

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    It is my understanding that (starting with b267), you can optionally enable client side multhreaded physics, to get an FPS boost of 10-30% in some situations. I don't know how many cores it would use, but physics tends to be a very parallel-computing friendly operation -- so I imagine it would use as many as you throw at it.

That said, I agree that with an AMD cpu, you want the highest MHz you can get -- which is easier (and cheaper) to get with a lower core count. 4 cores should be your best bet for NS2, and most other programs out there.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Get an intel sandy bridge or newer cpu and you will be happy. If you want to spend as little as possible I would recommend a cheap used 2500k on ebay, or a new i5. If you get a k series, try to overclock to 4.2ghz at least and even on the 2500k, you should not see cpu as a bottleneck anymore.
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited September 2014
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2014
    Any intel cpu that is sandy bridge or newer, is i5 or i7, and has a k in it (to overclock) will be more than enough.
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    k ty...has helped.

• kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    yeah go for an i5. i7 doesn't have much advantage over it for just playing ns2.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    All you need is a g3258. OC it to 4.5 and you're set. That's if you're trying to save some $. An i7 4790k is always a good buy and very nice if you plan to run a number of programs at once.

I have a g3258 OC'd to 4.2 on the stock cooler, and its running a 20 slot ns2 server. Runs it much better than I would have expected.
    edited September 2014
    Its funny you should mention that processor...my eyes were vibrating after looking through that many different processor benchmarks for hours upon hours....I came across that 1....and tbh...im probs going to go with it.

honestly not saying this beacuse you have posted...I did come across this ^^,

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/VANGUARD_B85/HelpDesk_Download/ = 5 year warrenty +£30 more than below

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/H81MC/overview/ = 3 years -£30 cheaper than above

which rez do you play @? im only at 1024x768 currently.

which mboard are u running etc just out of interest?

its the AE edition.....my initials? and you wonder why I think I am not alone...

Im gonna go with it tmmoz...may the gods have mercy on your souls...im comming. "all 76hz of my hass will be out" "my hass is oouut"

im really hoping the normal gameplay experience will be similar to that of which I am experiencing within combatmode....which on my q6600@3.13 plays pretty DAMM STRAIGHT PLAYER.

Stock cooler...your brave.

Time to ditch my 4 see through esk scanterly clad garments and put on my dorophy inspired 2 red jems...click them heelz like my mouse....HARD+FAST.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    With that pentium, it can run fast enough but ns2 does like that 3rd core. If you plan on overclocking you will need a z97 board.

If you aren't afraid of used, at least in the US you can get a used 2500k for about $100.
    edited September 2014
    Im not sure that you do need a z87/97...thats what is supposed to happen...in an ideal world...but im pretty sure...50/50 sure D: that you can still do it on the above boards ive posted...I HOPE.

Ive looked at the manuals online for both the boards I have posted+they have options for controlling xy+z AXIS of evils. "il go with the 1st option...2nd option probs wont allow for such great overclocks...GOOD ENOUGH...not great...who knows.

I will let you know if your right. hopefully your wrong...

basicly overclocked...that processor is on par with an i3..pretty much.

I totally agree that 3+ cores would be great.

I am afraid of used. you dont know whether sum1 has stroked their cat before applying the thermal paste.

when you say it "likes" the 3rd core...are we talking...it likes it to be pleasant...or it really likes it in the worse way possible?

matso posted it uses 2.2 cores at most...this was in July of 2013.

anyways...gonna try the 2 core wizardry+call it a day...please let me undermine the big £$£$£$£$pender...please...just this once lord oh lordi.

edited September 2014
    Im not sure that you do need a z87/97...thats what is supposed to happen...in an ideal world...but im pretty sure...50/50 sure D: that you can still do it on the above boards ive posted...I HOPE.

Ive looked at the manuals online for both the boards I have posted+they have options for controlling xy+z AXIS of evils. "il go with the 1st option...2nd option probs wont allow for such great overclocks...GOOD ENOUGH...not great...who knows.

I will let you know if your right. hopefully your wrong...

basicly overclocked...that processor is on par with an i3..pretty much.

I totally agree that 3+ cores would be great.

I am afraid of used. you dont know whether sum1 has stroked their cat before applying the thermal paste.

when you say it "likes" the 3rd core...are we talking...it likes it to be pleasant...or it really likes it in the worse way possible?

matso posted it uses 2.2 cores at most...this was in July of 2013.

anyways...gonna try the 2 core wizardry+call it a day...please let me undermine the big £$£$£$£$pender...please...just this once lord oh lordi.

Some boards have unofficial overclocking. I don't know which, so it might be those. This was done before with I think ivy bridge and intel released a firmware making overclocking not possible on these boards months later.

The overclockable pentium is still a good cpu and should be a nice upgrade.
    edited September 2014
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASUS-VANGUARD-B85-Motherboard/1831/1

Im basically trying to convince myself that everything is going to be ok. Im willing to give it ago.
    Seems like a pretty decent piece of kit to me. could operate a spaceshuttle...get you back on the ground...lol cats?

honestly thanks for the replies, totally get that theres more to life than all this chat.
    its helped. ty

now to find a combat server that wont discriminate me because of Rams or central processing creed.
    there really needs to be an official combat server...combat is what got me into ns in the first place.

defo will be buying the official combat addon...they deserve all the support+success they get.

they dont support overclocking officially......i dont support people drinking beer...but I dont blame or discourage...its better than a stock clocked life...overclock your social prowess.No pirates without beer involved.

Hopefully Intel doesnt put the Kibosch on all this, why chop or stamp all over a flower mid flow...that makes you worse than nature itself.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I bought the cpu during a www.newegg.com july 4th sale. I was a day late so I missed the better deal. But, I got that cpu ($75 at the time) and http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B85G43_GAMING.html#hero-overview motherboard together for $85. But yes, it is the AE.

That is only a b85 mb, not a z87. However, it does "unofficially" overclock. The bios will show the OC, cpu-z will show it. But some programs will either show the default speed or a 0.0g. I've read that some people have gotten it from 3.2 stock to 4.5 oc with just the stock cooler.

1920*1080

That setup is in my 2nd pc, which is just being used as an ns2 server atm. It only have a gtx 750 (nothing great about that card), but I'll go install and run ns2, run around and see what the fps is like.
    Since you said you like combat, I hoped in a combat server. In the RR I had around 115 fps. In-game lowest was 45-90. The bottleneck not surprising was the gpu at 12 ms. The map was core.

On Decent with 20 players I got around 62-100 in game. A few short spikes down to 45.

D3D9. 1920x1080. Fullscreen. Textures: High. Particles: High. Shadows: On. Lights: High. Reflections: On.

AA, Bloom, Atmospherics, Anisotropic filtering, and ambient occlusion are Off.

I didn't set the texture handling, didn't know the size of the gpu offhand.

That's with a $85 motherboard/cpu combo and a $120 gpu. 8gig ram.
    edited September 2014

I choose not to choose an i5...I chose something else