UWE - do you have any last tricks up your sleeve to help the dwindling player base?

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    well as you can, very very sadly in my opinion, no longer build in vents as either side...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Structure blocking needs its own thread tbh, so we can argue and lock that one instead of hijacking Skyice's little dose of hyperbole we have here :)
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited September 2014
    2cough wrote: »
    Still going on about cc placements? All accounts of potential blocking abuse aside, each ns2 map has been carefully balanced around rooms with tech points, rts, and the time it takes to get from one room to the next. TPs and RTs placed and spaced thoughtfully and deliberately between. The balance of ns2 is a delicate enough thing, to me it seems absolutely silly to give thought to willy nilly chair drops. This changes the entire function and thought of each room, changes the whole meta map to map, and to me seems like a generally sloppy and not thought out idea. Mappers hard work and thoughtfulness in regards to balancing their map would be thrown out the window. Would it change the game? Yes. Would it be for the better? IMO a hundred times no.
    Ha :) No worries, just an idea for a mod to open up new play styles, keep things fresh. Worth noting though, NS1 maps were made to the same degree, and relocating didn't make the sky fall there.

And thanks @Benson, will check that thread.
    Edit: Ahh blast from the past. Sewlek's mod for 250 is understandably not up anymore to look at the source, but interesting read none the less. We still need innovation.

And @DC_Darkling, agreed! I miss building in vents too. Could some of these mechanics be abused? Of course (gorge forts in vents, anyone?), but the important point that's lost in all these changes for 'consistency' for is that 'fun' is thrown out the window too. I'd much rather laugh at some fatties holing up at the end of game requiring JPers to finish the task, than not have that at all. Same for relocations. Devour. Res for kills. Don't mean to dredge up the past, but in the design to make NS2 more mainstream in its mechanics, it lost part of what made it so popular in the first place too. Discuss. (no, don't, kidding. Ooh boy, *leaves that can of worms over there*).

(*but lets get a CC reloc mod going!*)

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    /slaps @Martigen‌
    RFK was a bad call making OP players even more OP. :P

But yeh, I never minded building in vents, as long as both sides could.. Good ol' cruel redroom.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    /slaps @Martigen‌
    RFK was a bad call making OP players even more OP. :P
    I know. I hated it at first, but as I got better at the game, I liked it. It was a personal reward mechanism, while winning a game was a team reward. Yes, opinions differ, that's mine :) (though of all the things that I want from NS1 in NS2, this would be bottom of the list, if at all.).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I can't think of any good reason to re-implement these things, apart from "some players would find it cool".
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I was thinking more about the promotional side of things, not cc locations and building in vents lol you guys!
    Now that UWE have essentially been gifted tens of thousands of dollars in the way of development costs from the CDT and the game has never been better than it is right now, why is it bad to ask if UWE has any last tricks up there sleeve?
    Im talking promos, sales, FTP weekends to at least try to let the 500,000 people who bought ns2, and wrote it off due to terrible performance and gameplay in the first year, know that ns2 is back and better than ever.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    RFK could always be implemented to go exclusively into the tres pool, or split between the whole team's pres, or some combination of both. Whilst it would lose the charm of having an individual reward, that way it wouldn't "make OP players more OP". However, it would still add to the already problematic snowball effect.

I'm not for, nor against, reimplementing RFK, whether it's implemented a team or an individual reward. There's certainly pros and cons to it.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    plz no more free weekends until players have better resources to educate themselves (coming along in leaps and bounds to be honest).

We should first try and rope the quitters into returning with promises of improved performance/ loading times/ anuses on the alien models.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk Lift.

@lifesfun has modded it in effectively or not.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Actually, onos riding. Like babblers on a gorge, but with skulks instead :-)
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    We need a community-driven marketing campaign around the concept:
    "too hard for most, how about you?" / "are you the 1%"
    Heidi_Klum_I_Want_You.jpg

We should dress herakles up like Heidi in the pic aswell (but mostly just for laughs).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Judging by the fact that peak player times indicate most players are European, maybe not using something so culturally American might work?
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whats American about Heidi Klum? :p
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    CCTEE wrote: »

I actually really like this idea.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    2cough wrote: »
    CCTEE wrote: »

I actually really like this idea.

Question is, how would we drive it.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A news article, written by the CDT, published to the main steam page titled "A Message from the NS2 Community".

Paste the fully written letter for public review here on the forums, and when it looks good, it gets pushed out with the next patch (something to celebrate reaching 270)

I really think that telling people outright that this game is hard, and it is only for the people who want a challenge, and the fact that the post comes directly from the community could bring in just the kind of people who would stick around.

ofc, we'd also have to make a note that the "recommended" system requirements should be listed as the "minimum", and that a microphone should be on the "required" list.

Current recommended requirements from the steam page:

Processor:Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz
    Memory:4 GB RAM
    Graphics:DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1GB, AMD 5770, NVidia GTX 450 or better
    DirectX®:9.0
    Hard Drive:5 GB HD space
    Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

From what I've seen, most of the people who stick around have this system or better (CPU GHZ particularly)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Problem is news posts here is, only active players actually see them. The best thing that can be done, now that the game really has improved a lot since release, is to get news out to a wider public. I used to post the release posts on r/games, where they always have been a big success and have been picked up by other news sites afterwards, but as i have posted too much ns2 stuff there, i'm more or less banned from doing so in the future.

What i want to say with that, when there are patch releases, spread the news. be it community sites like reddit, or news sites. The cdt currently does not have a dedicated pr person that would maintain a news people mailing list to inform them about major patches etc. You could do that on your own, or join the cdt, any help in the pr departement would be of great help, as i'm convinced that many players would return if they knew how much the game improved (some of them might also simply have upgraded their computers etc).
    edited September 2014
    We should first try and rope the quitters into returning with promises of improved performance/ loading times/ anuses on the alien models.
    I approve of the anuses.

Also, I think this is the real issue -- not getting new players, because everyone who might buy NS2 has done so by now, but getting those who tried and dropped it to give it a go again. Especially those from the NS1 days who gave it a shot when it first came out, cried, and never came back.

This was me until about a year ago. Fired it up again out of boredom, and realised it had come a long way since release. And now it's even better! That's the news. That's what we need to spread. It's not the same NS2, it's a very different -- evolved -- beast.

Edit: Back on topic -- CC relocation mod plz. Also catpacks that increase firing speed again, electrified structures, and goddamn hydras that aren't completely fucking useless. GLORY DAYS.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Martigen wrote: »
    I approve of the anuses.

Also, I think this is the real issue -- not getting new players, because everyone who might buy NS2 has done so by now, but getting those who tried and dropped it to give it a go again. Especially those from the NS1 days who gave it a shot when it first came out, cried, and never came back.

This was me until about a year ago. Fired it up again out of boredom, and realised it had come a long way since release. And now it's even better! That's the news. That's what we need to spread. It's not the same NS2, it's a very different -- evolved -- beast.

Edit: Back on topic -- CC relocation mod plz. Also catpacks that increase firing speed again, electrified structures, and goddamn hydras that aren't completely fucking useless. GLORY DAYS.[/spoiler]

Haha, I was gonna click agree til that last line ;)

:)>-

Really, though, I do agree about the fact that a LOT of people have already purchased ns2. Would be great to reel them back in somehow. But then again there's the issue of some ns1 vets who cant overcome the fact that ns2 is not ns1 w/ better graphics (a remake). It's something of a whole new beast, and I WIIISH they'd come back to try to tame it again!

Oh also, the anuses. I agree with agreeing with that.
    Aliens with tiny gorge tunnel entrances on their... exits - I'd pay for that.

• kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    matso wrote: »

this would actually be great because it gives no advantage whatsoever :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    kmg wrote: »
    matso wrote: »

this would actually be great because it gives no advantage whatsoever :P

...except multiple 11 bullet meatshields? :D
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    I think that twitch streams are one of the best ways to get attention. And I dont mean NS2 veterans who stream (because they are preaching to the choir), but well known streamers like Sacriel or LIRIK. I know those two guys have played NS2 before. Maybe someone has contacts to a popular streamer and can suggest them to give it another shot?

If that should happen, I would strongly recommend that somebody "coaches" them (tell them not to go on 20+ slot servers, tell them some basic game concepts, tell them not to command, etcetc) so a picture of real NS2 is broadcasted to many ppl.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pick a day (weekend most likely) where a large amount of players (from all over the world is best), would be able to steam on twitch. The more streamers the higher chance of viewers, the more viewers - higher up on the game is NS2 will be.

With NS2 higher up on the game list the higher chance of getting new people to NS2 to watch and learn and hopefully buy/play.

Twitch is the highest, free exposure. It doesn't cost a dime to stream, so long as enough ppl have the cpu power to do so.

Or something of that sort.
    If there was going to be a free weekend, week, two weeks, month, or season it should coincide with the ns2:combat release.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I remember when reinforced was launched, and there was a free weekend. It did not go over too well.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Benson wrote: »
    A news article, written by the CDT, published to the main steam page titled "A Message from the NS2 Community".

Paste the fully written letter for public review here on the forums, and when it looks good, it gets pushed out with the next patch (something to celebrate reaching 270)

I really think that telling people outright that this game is hard, and it is only for the people who want a challenge, and the fact that the post comes directly from the community could bring in just the kind of people who would stick around.

ofc, we'd also have to make a note that the "recommended" system requirements should be listed as the "minimum", and that a microphone should be on the "required" list.

Current recommended requirements from the steam page:

Processor:Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz
    Memory:4 GB RAM
    Graphics:DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1GB, AMD 5770, NVidia GTX 450 or better
    DirectX®:9.0
    Hard Drive:5 GB HD space
    Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

From what I've seen, most of the people who stick around have this system or better (CPU GHZ particularly)

I actually play on a core duo 3.0Ghz E8400 to be exact.
    Performance is acceptable (though I have 8G ram and run a GTX650).
    all graphics options are low and I get 60-70 fps early game (40ish on high action maps), and it does degrade late game (probably 15-20) (gl spam and lots of things on screen when we assault the last hive / cc).