SMAA: The quest for better anti-aliasing

2»

Comments

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Bumping this good old thread in case a community dev feels like he has too little to do. :)

A slightly more expensive AA option than FXAA but without the texture blurring would be sweet.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Isn't FXAA the worst of the worst in terms of AA? I seem to remember hearing something about that recently. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    FXAA is very cheap compared to other AA methods, does a fair job at smoothing out jagged lines but causes blurring of textures. It's not "worst", neither is any of the AA options available, they just offer different balances between performance and image quality...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Isn't SMAA DX10 only? And NS2 is DX9...
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Interesting to see my thread come out of nowhere again :P

But yes, this would be an amazing replacement for FXAA if a community dev had the time. Perhaps even with the temporal variant SMAAT2x
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I'd like to see MSAA added. Infestation doesn't look right with FXAA turned on... you see weird little green tinges on the edges of objects sometimes.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I'd like to see MSAA added. Infestation doesn't look right with FXAA turned on... you see weird little green tinges on the edges of objects sometimes.
    MSAA would only be possible in DX11 with quite a lot of work and extremely heavy performance requirements. Defered renderers do not like hardware MSAA.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    oooooorrrr, you can just use the injectsmaa program: http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

Problem solved.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    oooooorrrr, you can just use the injectsmaa program: http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

Problem solved.
    HUD text scrambling, worse performance than native implementation
    Koruyo wrote: »
    The ltest round of Sweet FX contains a number of great SMAA performance imporvements.

But alas, the injection method still contains worse performance tan native and scrables HUD. Hence why I made this thread originally :P
    Injecting code like that into multiplayer games could also cause issues with anticheats... like getting VAC banned.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    lwf wrote: »
    Injecting code like that into multiplayer games could also cause issues with anticheats... like getting VAC banned.
    It works no differently than the way the Steam overlay hooks in, and SweetFX's shaders only deal with fixing colours, adding more bloom, applying SMAA or FXAA, adding sharpening etc. I use SweetFX in all my games, single or multiplayer, usually and mostly sharpening and SMAA (since so many games have shocking AA support, and MSAA can be too demanding).

See http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/ for SweetFX profiles for a lot of games.

On VAC, the author said it best himself.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Devs don't have the time or resources to make native support, and honestly injecting it really isn't bad at all and there is no vac ban.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    i use SWEET FX, something i got no clue about but it works and makes the game look way better :D
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    As I remember, on the last ClogCast (for the 267 build) someone from CDT mentioned that they are working on SMAA... Am I right?
    edited September 2014
    METROID wrote: »
    As I remember, on the last ClogCast (for the 267 build) someone from CDT mentioned that they are working on SMAA... Am I right?
    I asked the question back then, and yeah, they said they would love to integrate it in the game.
    RadimaX wrote: »
    i use SWEET FX, something i got no clue about but it works and makes the game look way better :D
    It intercepts DX calls in windows and inserts a shader between the game and your monitor displaying it in a post process. Hence how you can edit all these things like color, post process aa, sharpening, etc... in post through sweetFX.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Soooooooooooooo...
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Unless anyone has the skills and time to implement SMAA into NS2, you will have to be patient. It's low on the todo list for the CDT. If you are interested you should contact a member of the CDT.