How is NS2 faring ??

BlackMoonBlackMoon Montreal, CA Join Date: 2014-09-03 Member: 198238Members
I'm currently going through the process of building a new computer, and had in mind to make it a beast so I could play NS2, which is pretty graphics-intensive.

When I looked at the NS2 website though, it showed "30 people online" and "383 people playing".

Is that the actual stats for the game?

It sounds darn awful. I was a huge NS player back in Half-Life days, and it breaks my heart to hear that the game, despite its great MetaScore and awesome graphics and great-looking gameplay, seems to hardly be making a breakthrough in the gaming community.

So much work went into it, too.

Anyhow, I'd love for someone to tell me exactly what's going on with NS2 these days, how the community and the competitive scene are and all. I'm really interested in coming to the game, even if there's not 25,000 players, and if I do I'll also be getting the Shadow Reinforced pack to support the developpment of the game. However, I'm still not exactly sure because the game looks kind of deadish. D:.....

(P.S. I also looked up NS2Stats.com. While it doesn't look like the game is doing quite horribly, in my heart it should get a lot more recognition - being to me the most awesome game as well as the closest to a perfect game I've played.)

Well, cheers, dudes.

Comments

• RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    The player base gets smaller every week.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The game is in a state of polishment and balance that frankly seemed out of reach just a year ago. The CDT (Community Development Team) has taken over and is doing great work.
    The playerbase, however, continues shrinking. I think we are down to 400 now? Something like that. (...like your post said. That's about average.) And so far, no clear upcoming solution is in sight. (Although the CDT apparently has something planned...)

The players that remain, though, will cling to this game for at least another two years.

So, all in all...
    1) NS2 is greater than it ever was
    2) The fanbase is smaller than it ever was
    3) The fans are as dedicated as they have always been
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Come join us! The water's warm.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    And the CDT are making cookies.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    moultano wrote: »
    Come join us! The water's warm.

Mmmmm....
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Oddly enough our numbers are not far off from Hawken :) also we seem to be holding steady where we are and with the release of 269 people that have been having issues keeping the game loaded should be good now.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    We agree that and do wish it had more recognition, but no the game is not dead. If you are in NA you can usually find a good game every night if you know where to look (depending on what you want from a game).
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I'll be honest... I thought the title said "How is NS2 farting?"
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2014
    @BlackMoon‌
    With a computer that can handle the game in addition to the recent performance improvements, your experience is likely to be much better than it was before.
    400 might not seem like a lot, but really what that means is unless you live on mars, there's more or less always going to be populated servers with an acceptable ping for you to play on.
    You'll see a lot of familiar names, sure, but frankly thats one of the reasons NS2 is still the kind of game I like to play- there's a community. Come play, chat, try not to take people raging at you too seriously when tensions are high, make some friends and im sure you'll have a good time.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Considering how many people join this thread to ask this question, I'd say we're doing ok.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Oddly enough our numbers are not far off from Hawken :)

but hawken is a free shitgame thouh, so why does Most epic game in world history (NS2) have same numbers?...
    you got the money to make subnautica, the cashcow of ns2 has been collected, people donated all they ever could...maby make ns2 free from christmas? so the legend of ns2 could live on again? i honestly never played a better game in my entire life, and no other game prop ever will exceed this unless ns3, but till then let more people get to enjoy it on steam! not doubtfully take a chance on buying it in hopes that there will be someone to play with.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    I'm currently going through the process of building a new computer, and had in mind to make it a beast so I could play NS2, which is pretty graphics-intensive.
    it's not entirely clear from your post wether you gave ns2 a try before or not. i remember myself lol-ing at the diashow i had during earlier development versions of this game: i didn't even make it into a join-team location.
    now here i am, with the same old craptop (which now has tape on the powercord and cannot boot anymore with the battery attached), playing the game at a reasonable (though still not entirely fluent) framerate.

tl,dr: the game was optimized several times over the years. it's still demanding, but you might not need a "beast" anymore.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    If you can afford a beast system now, and show interest in an upgrade, why not just get it? Can't hurt (for ns2 and other games).

More OT, I think there is a decent player count (for a cheaply priced, niche, and now, kind of old in the gaming business, game). Most nights (in NA) have a lot of full servers (idk about the times for other countries). Weekend nights have a lot more players (and more drunken people.. I've helped in this).
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RadimaX wrote: »
    Oddly enough our numbers are not far off from Hawken :)

but hawken is a free shitgame thouh, so why does Most epic game in world history (NS2) have same numbers?...
    you got the money to make subnautica, the cashcow of ns2 has been collected, people donated all they ever could...maby make ns2 free from christmas? so the legend of ns2 could live on again? i honestly never played a better game in my entire life, and no other game prop ever will exceed this unless ns3, but till then let more people get to enjoy it on steam! not doubtfully take a chance on buying it in hopes that there will be someone to play with.

@RadimaX‌ This isn't such a bad idea. Or at least make it free for 2 weeks or something when subnautica hits as advertisement for both. I know the green tide is nauseating (the water gets cold from that one), but I do want to have fresh players coming to this game, and appreciate its beauty in asymmetry game play.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    edited September 2014
    Honestly the gameplay is pretty good these days with the current player base. I think back about all the wasted hours on rookie servers and it's much more enjoyable now. I like how most of the people who still play hate being on the winning side of a stomp.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    i think most players test the game, dont understand it, and never play again. Sure for some time there will be new players with no understanding of the strategical aspect of the game, but I fell in love with the huge maps compared to other games, i loved the esthetical choices of the game and so i was also a rookie once. Now i played soon 3000 hours and i dont intend to stop there. I think more people needs to see and feel what ns2 can bring to the table compared to pointless shooter games. you worked how long 5 years on the engine? and 2 years later we got 250 - 500 players, lets pretend its 2017 now, 3 years later, same amount of time you build the engine, do you want 9 people to play on the last remaining server? or do you want the ns2 legacy and hard work to live on, bloom like a flower and get a huge dedicated playerbase that grasp the vast dynami and tactical game at play in ns2. You erned your millions, how many more sales will you get in 3 years with around 400 active players, just make it free on steam and let people find out what sets this game apart from others.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Oddly enough our numbers are not far off from Hawken :) also we seem to be holding steady where we are and with the release of 269 people that have been having issues keeping the game loaded should be good now.

Hawken's gameplay isn't that great imo and given how TitanFall went.. it seems like people don't really like mech gameplay enough to stick around.

@ OP ns2 is faring well on the development side of things but the player base has dwindled by 50% over the past few months. I'm interested to see how that will be addressed in months to come.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I come for the game play but stop for the people. :x
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    I wonder how ns2:combat will affect the remaining playerbase...

Ppl could just port vanilla over to combat and switch right?

And in ~2years after that playerbase goes down we could make the full circle and wait for the release of ns2:combat:vanilla the standalone. :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Koruyo wrote: »
    I wonder how ns2:combat will affect the remaining playerbase...

Ppl could just port vanilla over to combat and switch right?

And in ~2years after that playerbase goes down we could make the full circle and wait for the release of ns2:combat:vanilla the standalone. :P

I can't wait to create a ns2:combat:vanilla:combat mod on that.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    How do you measure this "fairing" that you speak off?

Some measure it by players (average/concurrent/peak), quality of players, development status of a game, enjoyability of the game, etc.

Many of these metrics are perception and opinion.

Sure, our player numbers have been higher, but a good portion of that was from sales and initial release. Since then players giving it a try and deciding if it is for them or not, and some of the more hardcore players moving on, as games do have a shelf life, it doesn't mean the game is bad as only the individual can decide if they've had enough.

Regarding number of players, In my opinion it does NOT matter if there are 400 people or 400,000 people, you still play with 16-24 players at any one time and so long as you can get online, and within a reasonable timeframe play a game with a full server, that seems reasonable to me.

Another game I've really enjoyed is called Guns of Icarus, which during a sale had 300 players, but now it's barely speaking out 69 when I play. But I can get online with some friends and get a game going.

During the 1k+ hours playing Left 4 Dead 2 in the final days I played it had 8000 players down from 161,000 which seems like a tonne, but it took forever to get a game started, and if it started, if one team got dominated in 1 part of the map, they gave up and then I never got my turn to play each side resulting in crummy quality games. While I did enjoy my time, I ultimately moved on when my mates didn't want to play anymore.

Let's face it, the video game industry is rife with so many indy games, casual, mobile, AAA titles, and lately steam early access games (which IMO have been less than enjoyable). With so many options to cater to each and every players "itch" it will ALWAYS make it difficult for NS2 to gain and retain new players, as it serves a very specific "itch" and it isn't a game for the light hearted, frail PC performance or those with the intelligence of a potato.

Back in NS1, most people would flock to games like popular Counterstrike (v1.6b at the time?) TFC, Quake, in a time where consoles offered limited multiplayer, Battlefield was more humble of a game and CoD wasn't what it was today.

If anything the question that should be asked is not why is the game declining, but what keeps it going, it's community. <3

TL;DR The world, and it's players change quickly with time, if a game lasts as long as it does, it's almost "luck" of the formula. If you love a game play it until you had your fill, it's only Natural........Selection ;)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Maybe we get to a point after NS2 combat is released, after all the balance changes are done and when CDT is working on bugfixing and maybe some DLC skins and at that point, F2P might be worth it. How about just free like Wolfenstein: ET? Completely free, no leveling perks, no skins, no pay-to-win, no microtransactions, just free? Terrible idea I suppose but I wouldn't be able to predict the results. We see a big surge of players on free weekends, much more than a big sale or nobody can be bothered past the first week.

We might get a boost but we might not, anything to keep servers running, keep the community active as I don't want to see this game die at least before UWE are working on NS3 (which they will, they must!). Then again, NS1 lasted awhile, my old nostalgic favorite AVP2 survived on half as much players as NS2 has now for years and is still going on long after the master servers were shut down.

NS2 combat standalone is going to be pretty important for the future of the franchise, will it be successful like NS2 was? Can we encourage the general combat playerbase that might not own NS2 to buy it and give it a try after learning some basic mechanics in combat?
  • pro7otypepro7otype Join Date: 2013-09-14 Member: 188224Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    It's fairing pretty badly.

A hardcore of players are keeping a handful (5-10) servers full in each time zone, most games on pub servers make the newer players ragequit due to stacked teams or the single hero player dominating effect.

This is mitigated a bit if you join a server that enforces ELO based teams (try SEK2000 servers) but there is only ever one of these running as it's not that popular (most people seem to prefer to get into a game fast , especially if they can choose the team with the best player on it).

The thing that would have / could save this game is a matchmaking system for public play, as was achieved for CS with CS:GO, but I've heard nothing about that yet.

NS2 isn't quite in the graveyard of great shooters that almost made it yet (e.g. ET:QW) but it already feels like a very small game.

On the flip side, if you have a clan, and a group of people you can regularly meet up with online to play with it's very good, but that's something usually people develop after playing on pub servers, not before.