New jet pack sucks but has potential...Much better way....

2»

Comments

• DCMAKERDCMAKER Join Date: 2014-09-02 Member: 198219Members
    edited September 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    This forum has a history of people whose first post is a details explanation of demands that need to be changed with the game. They sometimes even make a good argument but on faulty grounds from a lack of experience with the game. Given the track record it is easy to assume that one with low post counts don't have much experience with the game.

it is what it is but it makes you look like a loser and you loose all credibility when you whip out your e-pen on post count.

i could state i have over 300 hours in game but it is pointless hence why i haven't brought it up. I also don't shy about how much i suck at the game either. I tend to dog on anyone in server if i am in top ranks in a match. Though that doesn't mean i can't handle jumping with a jet pack like everyone else...you have to be bonified (sp?) retard to not be able to go straight at a decent speed. My only point was that this jet pack sprint would add depth just like how a lerk can hang on walls, and skulks can lunge. It isn't game changing but adds depth.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is in fact game changing though and has been described why in multiple posts. I do kind of like the idea but it would need to be balanced around.
    james888 wrote: »
    It is in fact game changing though and has been described why in multiple posts. I do kind of like the idea but it would need to be balanced around.

only for maps like honorguard...

Instead of boosting in air all over you can do short fast boosts forward...unless a map has a long distance unobstructed. I can only think of tram having enough open space in select parts to travel a large distance running fast with minimal turning ability. Eclipse may have a single spot in the middle. Oh kodiak would have a spot or two tops besides that only custom maps might have an issue. I don't even think veil has any real long corridors.

Now combat maps...thats a different story. Face off would have issues but again you can tweak this how ever is balanced. Same horizontal speed less juice? Faster same juice? Only lasts for 2 seconds or 100 feet? I don't think it would be hard at all to make it work with minimal effort. The maps are already designed in a way that makes it only usable in short bursts or in very select parts. Cave or summit might have a select few locations where you could go a decent distance before a wall or box or fall off map lol
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Op plays predominantly combat. 'Nuff said.

I know this because he told me in game once. I think more vanilla experience may shed light on why other's don't share the same opinions as you about jps.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even lerk perching seems more useful than this jet sprint deal, since it provides a unique functionality that the lerk otherwise doesn't have. And...skulk leap not a game changer? Nonsense. It provides skulks with the ability to instantly boost their speed at a moment's notice and launch themselves through the air. That's huge, and that's why it's restricted to 2nd hive.

My main problem with this suggestion is that there's too much overlap in function to just using the standard jump boost. If you slapped a resource cost for this ability to be researched separately from the JP itself, you could call Shadowstep. Difference is, SS was actually a decent ability because it allowed you to do things that you couldn't with Blink alone. This sprint boost nonsense doesn't do that. It does virtually the same thing as pressing forward and jumping does.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think of it as like a pres cat pack which is why I like it, and also why it is OP.
    edited September 2014
    2cough wrote: »

I know this because he told me in game once. I think more vanilla experience may shed light on why other's don't share the same opinions as you about jps.

only recently...as in the last month or two. Wooza's server has been empty and a decent game with 20-24 people doesn't exist...no team work. so pugs or whatever could be fun but another issue lies in that.

Unless there is some good teamwork in a standard game it really isn't worth the time...hence why a lot of people stop playing. That's why i like combat and wooza's server currently...it is more entertaining on any given second.

I like standard 20-24 players but after 200+ hours of that it gets old unless you have a good match, which is rare. I remember playing in a 22-24 person game that went on for like 3 or 6 hours several months ago. It was probably one of the best games i have ever played because it was the most balanced teams i have ever seen. It went back and forth for hours. One team goofed and they lost the whole map. All a sudden they pushed out and the other team dropped the ball and so on and so on. It was a truly epic match. I have had a few of those but only a few in countless rounds. I'll take consistent fun over once in a blue moon epic round.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    @DCMAKER‌ From the maps you are describing, I am assuming you play the Combat Mod alot (or mostly). This may be why many on the forums are disagreeing with your ideas (would be good if you stated you mainly play Combat), because most of us on the forums play the vanilla (or modded vanilla) game, and assume you are suggesting what you have for the vanilla game.

For Combat, the focus is on well Combat, so if the JP is really good and useful and you keep kiting Oni and killing them, well and great, the alien team can just re-evolve the oni and you combat on. In the vanilla game, is doesn't work like this, you gain resources (not levels) that you spend (and it is gone), so you might be able to go Onos once in the round (and that is if you have saved all round). The vanilla game is balanced on alot of things, and losing a higher lifeform like a lerk / fade / onos in the game IS a big deal.

You may or may not know Combat is coming out as a stand alone game, so it can have its own balancing without affecting the vanilla game. There is a sticky post in general discussions for Combat's beta testers, you might want to check out. Jibril from Faultline games is doing the Combat Standalone.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Actually, everything I wrote in that long post was relevant and carefully considered. I'd be interested to know which 75% you think isn't relevant. Also, for the record, I haven't once made any claim nor mention of my post count. My point, which it seems that you still don't get after I already explained it to you once, was that you argued with and disagreed with joshhh in this belligerent style you have. He is one of the *top* players in this game and knows how to kill top level lerks. Don't you see how ridiculous it is for you to be telling him he's wrong, when you have only been around here for a matter of hours?

It's even more infuriating when the ideas you are defending so aggressively have been, in your words, pulled out of your ass.

As for forward only being you defense against how OP your proposed jetpack would be, you do realise that forward is where you point your mouse? You could bait at a doorway, spin/jump then sprint and activate JP sprint to hoon it back into the room faster than any lifeform, giving more time then to shoot the alien from distance.
    Not shooting while JP sprinting would be an improvement, but the power is still there in getting you places quickly, and chasing down oni. You'd have to disallow reloading as well.

Finally, the very topic title 'NEW JET PACK SUCKS...' is inflammatory and offensive towards everyone who's worked on it and who works in their free time to update this game.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    When i read this yesterday i was not sure if i wanted to respond with "is this a troll?", i'm still not sure. Well the last response answered everything, it's just another new forum member with narrow experience of the game.

Jetpacks are fine, you're just bad. Sorry. :)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    DCMAKER wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »

only recently...as in the last month or two. Wooza's server has been empty and a decent game with 20-24 people doesn't exist...no team work. so pugs or whatever could be fun but another issue lies in that.

Unless there is some good teamwork in a standard game it really isn't worth the time...hence why a lot of people stop playing. That's why i like combat and wooza's server currently...it is more entertaining on any given second.

I like standard 20-24 players but after 200+ hours of that it gets old unless you have a good match, which is rare. I remember playing in a 22-24 person game that went on for like 3 or 6 hours several months ago. It was probably one of the best games i have ever played because it was the most balanced teams i have ever seen. It went back and forth for hours. One team goofed and they lost the whole map. All a sudden they pushed out and the other team dropped the ball and so on and so on. It was a truly epic match. I have had a few of those but only a few in countless rounds. I'll take consistent fun over once in a blue moon epic round.

Pub servers with teamwork I play on regulary are HBZ Pub server and ACV Pub server (actually it's teamwork without much communication cause the comp players on those servers know what to do)

But now the important part about games without rly good teamwork and that this gets old. I know exactly what you are talking about and I can tell you how I solved this issue. I joined TAW and a months later the competitive team of TAW. Find a team (or gathre some friends you wanna play with) and start playing the game like this.

That's why I'm able to play the game for 1000+ hours now and still doesn't get boring, because there is so much stuff to get better in the game. If it is personal skill or enhancing the teamwork.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I fear we are wrong. He's not blancing the game for low-skill. He's balancing the game for 24+ player servers. As has been made clear by both the CDT's inclusion of a warning, innumerable forum posts, and dev talk since the beginning of time, NS2 is not and never will be balanced for 24+ player servers. Things just break.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2014
    @DCMAKER, I know it must be a bit hard for you to understand NS2 balance, and I'm going to assume you don't have much experience. This game needs 50-100 hours to just master the basics. For now, leave it to us to discuss balance and stuff.

Unfortunately, the game's steep learning curve tends to cause problems for less skilled players.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    For now, leave it to us to balance the game and stuff.

No, lol. We'll leave it to the CDT.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2014
    Sorry, I meant for us to discuss balance... editing that now.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver

hm... CDT and balance.. do we really wanna go that route..... :P
    Ok ill bite!
    • You do not go in cracks in the ceiling if you stop moving up in time, which is very doable.
    • They are mainly disagreeing not because your idea would add more functionality but because:
    o They don’t feel there is a functionality gap.
    o It would affect balance because you can not travel the maps in forward directional jumps. You say it does not due to the maps but shadowstep was INSTANT forward (so even faster forward then your suggestion for JP) and you could, if energy was no issue, travel the map on godlike speed. I would show to compare but alas, no more shadowstep.
    • While on a personal note I do think the JP regen speed should be higher, as ya know.. we are not all prem div folk, its not THAT bad.
    • So in the end the question is.. WHY would this be a huge improvement WORTH balancing? Any such change WOULD need balance testing. The game is interwoven in such a way that the tiniest detail can affect balance on a massive scale.