Alt-tab crash

WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
Alt-tab crashes have increased dramatically since latest patch.

I hear that the dev doing that kind of stuff is running in windowed mode for his coding so won't realise it's crashing much and we need to start a riot for him to hear us.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Known issue will be patched soon with 268. Please report back after the next update if it is still happening for you ;)

And most cdt dev use the windowed fullscreen mode because dx9 doesn't really support alt-tabing without some issues due to some limitation of the api.

At least the incomming fixes should avoid that it crashs as often as it does atm.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did this get patched in 268? I get this issue quite frequently. It doesn't totally crash, just totally freezes up. Have to open task manager and kill the process to fix it. (I use true fullscreen mode, not windowed fullscreen)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    hope this will get fixed but if you really have to alt tab, open the steam overlay and alt tab then. game shouldn't freeze then (only problem with random alt tabs that the game is minimizing without doing anything. but thats my issue I got with many other games aswell)
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah, still awful alt-tabbing issues.

I play with two monitors if this might be an issue
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What scenarios are you alt tabbing in?
    Very little can currently be done about alt tabbing during map loading (like many games) but during every other scenario it should work just fine, ideally.
    But knowing when precisely the issue occurs can help us identify where to look, or compare to our own findings.

For instance, i only seem to crash using alt tabbing in the main menu, but don't while in game. (unless i alt tab again very quickly)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What scenarios are you alt tabbing in?
    Very little can currently be done about alt tabbing during map loading (like many games) but during every other scenario it should work just fine, ideally.
    But knowing when precisely the issue occurs can help us identify where to look, or compare to our own findings.

For instance, i only seem to crash using alt tabbing in the main menu, but don't while in game. (unless i alt tab again very quickly)
    I always crash when loading a map, and I alt-tab to browse the internet while I wait forgetting it always crashes. I will also sometimes alt tab while idle in pregame waiting for a match to start or less often when spawn queue is high which seem to crash anecdotally 1/3 times.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Shift tab and use that steam browser (i know, i know.. ) is a safer bet for now at least.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Shift tab and use that steam browser (i know, i know.. ) is a safer bet for now at least.
    I would rather play crash roulette than use the steam browser... yuck.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me it happens everywhere. Main menu, loading, or in game. I too have two monitors (2nd is a TV), I'll try again with just one enabled next time.

Protip for people on 2 monitors and Windows 7: Use Windows Key + P to open a quick flip switch for enabling one or two monitors. Also because my TV is HDMI and monitor is DVI the monitor is considered monitor 2 (projector), and the TV is considered monitor 1 (computer). I have to select Projector only, not computer only.
    Looks like we may have some improvements in 269 for this, so after that patch goes out, should you still find yourself having these crashes, please run techsupport.exe when the window is still opened/ crashed in order to grab a dump file you can link us.
  • Mr_ChainsawMr_Chainsaw Join Date: 2014-08-13 Member: 197946Members
    If you alt+enter than game goes into windowed mode. After that you can easily alt+tab without any crashes.
    It is no fix but a usable workaround once you get used to it.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've been able to alt+tab while in game (everything already loaded), forget about it and ns2 still work after a few hours of being alt+tab. Wasn't the case in 268. Alt+Tab while load still causes crash, most of the time.