A proper F2P Weekend is needed

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
Ok so now that the game has improved performance wise tenfold (among other things) I think whenever the CDT team thinks they've got in what they want to have in and it feels 'stable'

I think a free weekend should occur after it feels 'stable' for you guys. Try and show new players how much things have improved, and maybe even show some old players who haven't launched in a while too. I remember last free weekends would occur immediately during patches and I don't think that was always the best decision (especially if problems arose!)

What do you guys think?

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The time range can be whatever they want to decide, I'm just saying it'd be a smart decision to do it after all these nice updates and when it's been stable for a few 'weeks' after being released to the regular players.

Would help give people a better impression of the game and maybe give us some extra players.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Free week without the weekend :) Well maybe after 268 patch, which still have some anomalies, like holograms give hitching, server choke, r_stats messed up saying gpu is bottleneck while in reality its CPU... If free week(ends) needs the patch just make minor one
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    If something like this is planned, please, dont make the same mistakes like on every sale/free weekend before.
    Im sure im witting this the 5th time now, but, well:

- Rookie only server for the free wekend time (so people can just play a bit without getting stomped every game)
    - A serverbroweser flag and ingame warning for bad performing servers (i think something like this coming with 269 finally)
    - Med/High skill servers only for the vets, so people can play "rookiefree" (this is to give the regular playerbase a place to play during the 2 or 3 days).

In the past people joined 3 tick servers from rubberbanding-hell, getting raped by "aimbotting" vets and played with horrible fps.
    Great 1st impression of the game.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I'm quite skeptical about this =P

Particularly around the fact that we already had quite a few sales/free weekends.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Player base is still steadily declining, surely UWE is bringing in little-to-no revenue from ns2 sales now? Why not FTP and milk the player base through DLC and reinforcement program? :]
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Depends what weekend and with a lot of communication to help new players yeah.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make it a streaming event, have godar or titus or what ever teach scrubs.
    @It's Super Effective!
    Forget this teaching stuff @ a free weekend. This wont work.

Just let new players explore the game in an stomp free enviroment on there own.
    The little rookie tournament in sweden was the proof: People learning the basics relative fast if there is no pressure, stomp and flaming against them.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @dePARA You mean denmark? Or did I miss another rookie tourney?
    Well, yes. it was Denmark. Shame on me.
    Did some1 has the link to the cast of the final round?
    Blind was losing his voice after crying "rush the CC, rush the CC. Yes they do it, YES!!" After 1,5 hrs :D

Epic :D
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited August 2014
    Any participation from experienced players who can take those few days in a free weekend to lend a hand teaching, guiding, or at least not abusing rookies would help greatly improve the player base. Or at the least restrict themselves to servers of their own skill level.

I think everyone on this forum knows that stuff, the problem is reaching the ones that aren't on the forum or those don't care. Those people outnumber the ones that want to help, sadly. Asraniel idea is best, and I actually suggested it a very long time ago.

There were some servers a while ago that restricted player skill and experienced players were always joining to stomp them. I witnessed it so much, as I use to sit spec and assist commanders and answer random questions. I think a few were even from the forums and comp players if I recall correctly. They would always get banned eventually though by the great admin.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    doesnt feel stable right now IMO. lots of people crashing, myself included.
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    edited August 2014
    I have to agree that most people just want to play and do not want to go thorugh "Ns2-classes" when they start the game for the first time. I have personally offered many people to teach them the basics but up to this point only two rookies have responded. One of them is not playing anymore.

If we let the rookies play against each other though, it would give them time to get familiar with the game and I think they will have fun even without knowing the basics of walljumping etc.
    Once they are hooked and enjoy the game, they will invest more time into learning it. If you want to do rookie only servers why not ask the various clans with root servers to sponser one or two during the time of the free week? I think we (HBZ) could open one if it is only for one week and the demand is there. (No promise though -> PARA IS DA BOSS!)
    Greetings,

Warforce17
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The CDT has gotten the game to a place, performance and balance wise, where a F2P period could be beneficial and expand the game's playerbase. They should probably wait until after little things like crashes and bugs get sorted out. It always was a shame that free weekends would happen at the times when the game was most uneven and weird because of recent patches
    edited August 2014
    @Pelargir‌
    Yes, this one. thx

The CDT team could use this stream to adjust some ingame tutorial stuff based on the comments of this stream.

Maybe some dynamic "special ingame help" on rookie only servers.
    Like:
    "Your Fade has low HP, heal up @ Hive, Gorge or Craq"
    "You are a Lerk, try to fly and avoid ground"

If people dont "listen" to the helpsystem in an ammmount of time (10 sec or something), there should be warning like:
    "If you engaging now, marnines can kill you easy"

Just watch the stream, then you know why im thinking something like this is needed.

But another thing from the stream is:
    In this last 100 min game, all the players learned more about the game, than from 10 rounds getting stomped under 10 min.

• ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    My only concern is how do we keep them away from HyperionGaming/Wooza's/IBISGaming servers? The learning curve is bad enough, but if they join one of those 3 server groups and see lagging entities they might assume it's the game at fault rather than the server.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ball2hi wrote: »
    My only concern is how do we keep them away from HyperionGaming/Wooza's/IBISGaming servers? The learning curve is bad enough, but if they join one of those 3 server groups and see lagging entities they might assume it's the game at fault rather than the server.

Woozas lags like crazy, but those other two always seemed fine to me. :/
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    ball2hi wrote: »

Woozas lags like crazy, but those other two always seemed fine to me. :/
    Every time I join them, their server performance drops below 90% and their tickrate jumps between 5s - 18s just with a full-server and not even mid-game. Someone even posted a graph showing their server performance that they had gathered over the past few weeks.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Depends on the Hyperion. The older one has issues lategame, but the *NEW* Hyperion is usually pretty solid.
    edited August 2014
    Version 269 introduce some changes in how serverperformance is beeing calculated.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135400/serverperformancedata-and-proposed-269-serverbrowser

This could be point one of my needed list for an succesfully free weekend
    - A serverbroweser flag and ingame warning for bad performing servers

The other 2 points are in the hand of admins.
    - Med/High skill servers only for the vets, so people can play "rookiefree" (this is to give the regular playerbase a place to play during the 2 or 3 days).
    - Rookie only server for the free wekend time (so people can just play a bit without getting stomped every game)

This, an advanced help system on rookie only servers, maybe a special joinbutton for the free weekend players who bring them directly to the rookie servers and a patch wich fixes the crashproblematic could be the key for an succesfull free weekend.

And again, forget all this:
    - Teachingprogramms
    - "Welcome new players and dont stomp them" blabla

Just let them explore the game for 2-3 days for there own in an stomp-, rubber- and crashfree environment.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Also, giving people a heads up say 1-2 weeks in advance (to give server admins a chance to prepare for the worst) would be more useful for everyone than say, "veterans only" servers.
    edited August 2014
    Also I'd love for the requirements on the store page to be slightly adjusted?

I'm liking the ideas everyone, so far we've concluded

The build has to be stable

Rookies need somewhere to play as rookies only
    Competitive players should be streaming during the days -- and somehow the newcomers need to be shown these streams
    And vets should be tied to their own servers -- or forced to command on rookie servers? (this would have to be a goodwill thing lol)
    edited August 2014
    You could also just make it so people get heavily penalized, more than usual, in the skill ranking by crushing rookies in that period.

And similarly, rewarded out of the ordinary from commanding them. - Not in skill obviously but some other reward - badges, w/e.
    "Each and everyone of you deserves a medal!" - Soldier
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Probably would be good to include a MOTD and direct them to channels and guides that will give them the basics after they played some rookie rounds for more info (eg. ISE's channel and videos, the wiki (if it is updated), steam guides, community guides etc...).

@ezekel‌ , it is a nice idea to promote the game though.