Gorges in vents

13»

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I really only don't like the bile bomb spot in cargo... skylights/overlook can be annoying because your entire team flocks to the vent to kill one player, but it can be a valid tactic that can easily be countered.

Keep vent gorge, just fix the vents.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, just like marines have an insane advantage with jetpacks in cargo, why shouldn't aleins have the same advantage with the gorge in the vent there? Besides, once they have jetpacks, it's not really that good spot...
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It shouldn't take 95tres of upgrades plus the 15pres to counter an 8 pres lifeform sitting in a vent who is capable of decimating a base at his leisure. Though I suppose the 8pres lifeform has to have 80 tres of upgrades to be effective. 140tres if you count adren and such.

Regardless. I still think vent tweaks are in order. Just please don't forget about the East Junction non-vent.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I think the problem is not the marine's accessibility but that a gorge can bilebomb the sky RT. Obstruct the vent exit somehow (or move it) and it should be fine.

That's why we have jetpacks.

The bane of all gorge-infested vents.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    It shouldn't take 95tres of upgrades plus the 15pres to counter an 8 pres lifeform sitting in a vent who is capable of decimating a base at his leisure. Though I suppose the 8pres lifeform has to have 80 tres of upgrades to be effective. 140tres if you count adren and such.

Regardless. I still think vent tweaks are in order. Just please don't forget about the East Junction non-vent.

Then don't build the structures so closely. If gorge has to climb out, then you can shot it.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can also get into that vent in cargo, it's pretty easy also, I'll try and get a video of it, and upload it later.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    You can also get into that vent in cargo, it's pretty easy also, I'll try and get a video of it, and upload it later.

Someone called @BeigeAlert already put a video as example on that same topic (first page) dude. :)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Yeah. The changes I mentioned are for 268.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    I didn't read every post of this thread, but what about keeping the vents the way they are (you can evolve and shit, gorge, bile what'evs), but deny the building of hydras in them. Simple, gorges can keep being useless by camping vents, but marines can take them out if they boost each other up, or know how to get into them. No ladders and shit, just no hydras. And yeah, that east junction non sense too should be removed imo
    Evolving in vents is total nonsense now. Same vent height all the way, can't bloody evolve and then i move 3 meters ahead and all of the sudden i can even though nothing has changed about the vent height, just a horizontal distance. When you need to make quick actions you can't freakin chase for the sweet spot someone decided is allowed for evolving and the other 90% of the vent surface isn't. I know in the past (and i'm not talking that distant past because i don't even know if 267 introduced this or not) evolving in vents wasn't a problem, but now it's totally moronic. It was so many games lately where i was going mental because game kept bitching about refusal of evolving for no fuckin reason. Either make it clear you can evolve anywhere in the vents or just block it all. Chasing those damn spots where you can is even worse than not being allowed to evolve at all. Seriously.

I don't get it why there is even need to continuously limit the construction creativity or ability to evolve. Like i never minded the marines boosting them up in the vents, why the hell not!? It's creativity to deal with the situation, but requires coordination of 2-3 marines, just like it is to evolve into a gorge inside a vent, you have to do it in the right order, because once you evolve in gorge, it's over. Especially if you jump out of the vent, you won't be able to get back in. Or build hydras in it or build a gorge tunnel in some funky spot no one would expect to build there. It's what makes it fun and interesting. And unpredictable. Otherwise you instantly know where is what because you know it's all artificially limited to few spots.

Gorges in vents aren't the problem if marines aren't narrow minded idiots. I've seen marines counter me as a gorge in the vent by building an armory across, boost eachother up and then they started shooting me inside the vent in Smelting without using any special expensive upgrades or jetpacks and the vent is very high. Now that's creativity and i want more of that in NS2, not some idiotic bullshit of artificial limiting abilities just because someone decided to do so. This makes things boring and i hate that.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Did you try pressing ctrl?
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RejZoR wrote: »
    Evolving in vents is total nonsense now. Same vent height all the way, can't bloody evolve and then i move 3 meters ahead and all of the sudden i can even though nothing has changed about the vent height, just a horizontal distance.
    Can you describe some locations where this happens? Like I said, I haven't noticed a difference in 267 yet. With specific locations, it could at least be examined.

I agree that evolving in vents should be intuitive, and not a "hunt the sweet spot" thing.

Especially if you jump out of the vent, you won't be able to get back in.
    I rarely play Gorge, but I think you can get back into most vents by building clog pillars/stairs. The place clogs elsewhere (beyond the max number) to prevent Marines from following.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    MrFangs wrote: »
    Can you describe some locations where this happens? Like I said, I haven't noticed a difference in 267 yet. With specific locations, it could at least be examined.
    That's because nothing changed in 267 regarding that :D
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vents were always alien domain until jp's, this has been part of NS1 and NS2 from the start. Yes its annoying but there are counters to it. Remember its not meant to be a totally balanced game its part of the asymmetry that adds to the push-me-pull-me gameplay.

I was bile bombing the marine base in cargo once and two marines climbed up on the boxes and jumped into the vent and gave me a ass kicking. Another player did same and suffered the same fate, bit of team work saved the marines.
    Mendasp wrote: »
    MrFangs wrote: »
    That's because nothing changed in 267 regarding that :D

Who cares when what happened exactly. Then it was one bloody update before 267, who cares The fact is, YOU did change it. To the worse.
    edited August 2014
    It hasn't changed in ages. Like, not even with the balance test build, it's one of the things that have remained the same in this game for the longest time.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Who cares when what happened exactly. Then it was one bloody update before 267, who cares The fact is, YOU did change it. To the worse.

I haven't noticed a change in this behaviour in a looong time, i think you're imagining things.

As @MrFangs‌ said, you should provide actual examples and maybe you'll be taken seriously. All you've done so far is whine and be extremely vague about what you're whining about so nobody can possibly placate you.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow

*raises handbag, Ooooh bad @Mendasp‌ \:D/ hahahaha!

I play gorge lots, not seen any change in the ability to evolve in the vents or those 'sweet spots'. Most have at least one place with enough height and clogs help scale vertical spaces with ease for those that don't. Win Win.

Please for the love of the babbler king, don't change this.
  • MazzaMazza Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75194Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Weldable vents?
    Something that I've personally been waiting to be added into NS2 for a very long time.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited August 2014
    Mazza wrote: »
    Weldable vents?
    Something that I've personally been waiting to be added into NS2 for a very long time.

I don't think they can do that with the engine. Could be wrong. Can I have onos breaking doors now? :p

On topic - I tried evolving the the skylights vent and ended up in the hallway evolving lol only happened once, but then again, I rarely evolve in vents to avoid it spazzin out lol
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    Vents are a gorges escape/harass route. There are almost no vents that give bile access to anything important anymore so what's the big deal?
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Overlook/Skylights on Veil, just to name one.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can bile falls power node on bio dome from the vent, you can bile from a few vents in refinery, cargo vent, pipeline vent, you can bile the power in repair on tram from the vent,
    There is a lot more also
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    You can bile falls power node on bio dome from the vent, you can bile from a few vents in refinery, cargo vent, pipeline vent, you can bile the power in repair on tram from the vent,
    There is a lot more also

Pro com & pro gorge?
    Pelargir wrote: »
    There is a lot more also

Pro com & pro gorge?

Just been around to long, :)
    Pelargir wrote: »
    There is a lot more also

Pro com & pro gorge?

Just been around to long, :)

Old pro com & pro gorge.*