Servers don't see my playtime (HBZ and others)

countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
Hey guys,

I've been playing NS2 for 390 hours according to steam.
However, some servers won't let me command "with less than 8 hours of experience."
HBZ will even kick me, because I have "less than 50 hours."

What's wrong here? I've got my steam profile set to private, may that be the reason? Can this be fixed? I'd rather not make my profile public only to be able to play on HBZ servers...

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Yes, that's the reason. If it's private, nobody can see it, not even the server.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    The plugin uses following sources to get you playtime:

- UWE Hive stats
    - NS2Stats
    - Steam time

You can check you ns2stats and Hive stats time here:
    http://ns2stats.com/
    http://hive.naturalselection2.com

If you have less then 50 hrs there and your steam profile is private (the plugin cant check your playtime) you cant join.
    Im sorry, but thats how it works.

Solutions would be:
    - Make your profile public
    - Play 50 hrs on whitelistet hivestats servers http://hive.naturalselection2.com/servers/whitelist
    - Play 50hrs on ns2stats servers

There was an reset of NS2stats database a few weeks ago, so everone lost his stats there btw.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @dePara @countbasie‌ Just to clarify, Hive stats was reset, but your play hours were NOT touched. Also, your HIVE hours will not equal your STEAM hours as HIVE has its own whitelist of servers you must play on to count in your HIVE hours.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited August 2014
    Hm...NS2 Stats can't be right. I know that I played more than 2 hours on NS2 Stats servers over the years (have been around since Beta)...maybe they did a reset in the last year?

However, thanks for your answer. Gonna take a while until I am finally allowed play there again.

I don't like the system. I'm a NS1 veteran and know how to play this game, but I'm refused to play on one of the best EU servers. Plus, I have to give up my steam privacy.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What possibly could be on your steam profile that you consider private o_0

Anyway, NS2stats is pretty much broken. I apparently only have 3 hours playtime as well. Hive has been tracking hours for everyone since implementation and seems to be working alright. Check hive stats and see what it says.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2014
    I think the ns2stats database had been lost due to HDD failure not too long ago. The wipe resulted in better performance however, because of deprecated data not being sent all the time.

@Countbasie Sorry for the inconveniences. Everybody knows that this system can't properly check whether or not you know how to play game. Don't feel rejected because of this. See you soon!
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    joshhh wrote: »

It's not really about hiding what's on your profile so much as it is about remaining off the radar of scammers/phishers/trolls/whatever. (at least for me anyway)

I have to make my profile public in order to play on the KKG captain servers, and when I do it's not uncommon for me to receive a random friend/group invite from someone who doesn't even own NS2 (aka a scammer/phisher/troll/whatever) - I had a private profile for years without ever receiving a single random invite, it's only when I make my profile public that they start rolling in.

Plus having to remember to change your profile status before hopping onto a server can become extremely annoying really fast. It would be oh so nice if the mod could rely entirely on the Hive stats so we don't have to constantly fiddle with our privacy settings.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »

It's not really about hiding what's on your profile so much as it is about remaining off the radar of scammers/phishers/trolls/whatever. (at least for me anyway)

I have to make my profile public in order to play on the KKG captain servers, and when I do it's not uncommon for me to receive a random friend/group invite from someone who doesn't even own NS2 (aka a scammer/phisher/troll/whatever) - I had a private profile for years without ever receiving a single random invite, it's only when I make my profile public that they start rolling in.

Plus having to remember to change your profile status before hopping onto a server can become extremely annoying really fast. It would be oh so nice if the mod could rely entirely on the Hive stats so we don't have to constantly fiddle with our privacy settings.

Maybe it's to do with switching between private and public, because I very very rarely have any requests (and how hard is it to decline invitation anyway??????), and I've not made my profile private.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014

I does rely on hive, ns2stats and the steam api if the profile is public.

It's not possible to fetch details of a private profile with the web steam api the mod is using. That's why you have to have a public profile unless you got enought playtime at one of the other two sites.

Hearing all those reports about ppl having issues with when their steam profile is public is kinda weird if i think about having my profile public since the very start and never had such issues.

Maybe i'm safe from that because my profile name is so long :D

Overall it's more private steam profile = smurf, scammer etc.

NS2Stats lost its db about 2 month ago when we moved servers and it turned out that the db backup we made was corrupted. We are really sorry for that but overall decided to restart ns2stats together with the new hive system.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
  • deathst4rdeathst4r Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19365Members
    edited August 2014
    Same for me here.

600+ hours of playtime, but I can't join my old favorite server by default (HBZ).

That 50-hour-rule really dropped the hammer on re-starting veterans, veterinarians and intergalactic battle-stations that are no moon. Meh. :(

I even have my lieutenant's badge (or whatever that rank from the olde days is), when I logon to the server - just to be kicked in 30 secs, when I attempt to join a team. :D

Greetings and best regards to the HBZ-Crew, though! ;)

I hope that I can acquire my "new" 50 hours soon to play with you guys again.

All salute mighty General Discussion and have a nice day, everyone! :)
    deathst4r
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

o_o I think I have gotten about 2 random adds in the last 2 years of having a public profile. *shrug*
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hi @deathst4r‌

welcome back and sorry for your current situation but i hope you understand the need of this mechanic.
    You have 39h 23min on hivesats http://hive.naturalselection2.com/profile/69333483

11 hrs on YO or another whitelistet server ( http://hive.naturalselection2.com/servers/whitelist ) and you are back in business :D
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Food smells sweeter
    And tastes richer
    For waiting souls.
    Hard earned woman HBZ SERVER SLOT
    Is a well earned treasure.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Ah, I get it now. 50 hours on NS2Stats or Hive or Steam. Well that's fine, see you in another 15 hours :D

BTW: I always set every profile on private on every platform I use. It's just how I use the internet. I don't care what kind of data is stored/showed there.