time-to-make-the-mods outdated and broken

clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
I would love to get started modding. It's only a bit hard to find a good entry point.
Programming is not really a problem for me. I have good experience with java and lua doesn't look that difficult.

I tried to do this tutorial:
http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/time-to-make-the-mods/

There is no game_setup.xml. I created it myself and then the mod works.

I only wonder about this line:

<loading>lua/ModLoading.lua</loading>

In the console it says that the file is not found. And that could be true since I never created it cause no one told me to.
Should i delete the line of code? Or do I need to create the file? And if so, what has to be in the file?

Please help, I would love to get started.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    A gamesetup.xml is only required if you are using the overwriting files method. If you are using the hooked/mod entry system, then you would use a different system. I only have experience of the pre-hook system, as I started modding before it was created, and never switched over due to it's inefficiencies for my projects.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Oh man i should really finish my modding guide but i'm currently too busy with other stuff.

So i will just share the bits i allready got done: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ewJCs-gPBKeBZOqFujpNa4gApvO5Sz-rabgHvHOoAWU/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully this already helps you :D
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ well post like this can be a big motivation to find that few extra hours finish the mod guide i suppose :)
    I will look into it asap.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    clankill3r wrote: »
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ well post like this can be a big motivation to find that few extra hours finish the mod guide i suppose :)
    I will look into it asap.

Yeah if i would be able to clone myself that might solve some time issues :D. But yeah take a look. I will take your feedback in account for future guide improvements.

For now i won't really work at the guide until we got 268 in RC mode which will happen soon :)
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The guide looks cool so far. I like that the zombie mod is simple but not to simple. The flaming shotgun was way to simple.
    Can't wait till you have more.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah if i would be able to clone myself that might solve some time issues :D.

Let me know when you figure this one out.