Looking for a veteran or two to show me the ropes

RHINO_Mk_IIRHINO_Mk_II USA Join Date: 2014-08-09 Member: 197883Members
Greetings,

I'm an FPS player looking to get started in NS2, and I figured the transition would be much smoother if I have a buddy who knows what he's doing. I've watched about a dozen tournament matches and read this guide but haven't seen much of the higher level tech in action as tournament games tended to end before that point. I played about a half dozen games of the NS1 mod back in the day, but didn't spend much time with it. The most similar game to NS2 that I have played for a while is Allegiance, which you likely have never heard of before. I should probably mention that I have a headset with microphone since that seems to be a big deal in this game. I want to get started in vanilla NS2 first before looking at mods.

I predict that my first major hurdles will be learning how to move in combat, which fights to take, and where I should be on the map (and what I should be doing when I get there.)

So, if you know what you're doing and know how to get other people to do what they should be doing, PM me or reply with some way to get in contact (steam preferred.) I'll be available for the next 8 hours or so (yay weekends) and will probably be watching more video tutorials until I hear from someone.

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    well starting with vanilla first is not that easy. guess the first mod you will see is ns2+. but basically I would say 90% of active peopleon this forum will help you (since you are in USA you probably stick with US guys)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @RHINO_Mk_II‌ You might want to also check the guides in my signature. Skip the item descriptions (RAZ's guide already deal with this). Just read the story and tech corner - there is heaps of hints in the story about play and tactics for the beginner (and little hints about mechanics that are not readily know). Advance tactics like position and map awareness are things you will get from playing and now watching or reading (those help with preparation, so you know what you are looking for). The advance tech, tend to happen in public games, so you might want to try It's SuperEffective's youtube channel (he uploads public games), and if you want games from earlier builds, try NS2HD (Hugh's channel - he doesn't update with NS2 stuff atm as he is working on marketing of Subnautica).

Anyway, welcome to the community. Lastly, jump on and ask questions as a rookie. Don't be shy. Just ask, what can I do to help, and others on mike will tell you (eg. stand in that corner and watch... or they might ask you to build stuff (then you check out where they are standing to get an idea of which position is good for a room).
    PS. if they die alot when on guard duty, either they suck at aiming (like me), or the position is not good (don't stand with your back to a vent).
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You might even be interested in reddit pugs. As long as you are friendly and listen to advice offered, which it sounds like you will, you should be accepted fine. Just tell them you are newer. Expect to be picked last though. You would get a whole team of veterans to help you out possibly.

"http://Pugs.RedditGaming.us will direct you to our steam page.
    ns2.redditgaming.us Port: 5590 will take you to the mumble.

We are now going to focus on making the pugs more friendly and more organized so new comers of this patch get a chance to try organized play!! :D"

• Sloth9Sloth9 Washington Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184377Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Contact me on steam if you want to. Sloth.
  • RHINO_Mk_IIRHINO_Mk_II USA Join Date: 2014-08-09 Member: 197883Members
    Thanks for the responses. I've sent friend invites on steam to those who approached me willing to help. Cannon Fodder, your guide was both an entertaining and informative read, thanks.