Friday Subnautica dev blog - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageFriday Subnautica dev blog - Subnautica

New dev blog We’ve been inspired by the Rust Friday devblogs, and thought we’d try doing them ourselves. Not sure if they will be worthwhile, but we’re hoping to keep...

Read the full story here

Comments

• AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
  • tohrbogentohrbogen Join Date: 2012-06-22 Member: 153543Members
    Damn i am so looking forward to this. Seems to take form now.. can't wait to get my hands on the early access :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Great stuff, really looking forward to seeing more. My only comment would be....I know you are behind Europe in time, but I thought it was a few hours behind, not days :)
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    "weapons," Oo
    Tools right?
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We had some technical issues with the blog so I wrote it on Friday but couldn't post until Monday. Then that turned into late Monday...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hey, so I noticed on that new had-made map that the legend does not list lava zones...are these still planned? They looked the most exciting to me (want to know whats hidden there, since it probably the most dangerous area :D)

Also, if the world will be hand-crafted, will there only ever be one version (that is, same world on every playthrough)?

Is it be possible to have the hand-crafted areas be randomly pieced together (the transition areas could be an issue) or several official hand-crafted maps (you would chose the "random" layout, then make the transition areas pretty)?

This game looks like it will be visually stunning, but I wonder what replay value there will be without some variation in playthroughs (beyond player choices). For instance, one of my favorite games is Might and Magic VII, but the problem I have playing it is that the world is static. All the best secrets aren't secrets after one playthrough, all of the interesting twists don't exist, etc.
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excellent! Love the Rust blogs, and will enjoy seeing a similar thing for SN too. Great idea.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Benson wrote: »
    Hey, so I noticed on that new had-made map that the legend does not list lava zones...are these still planned? They looked the most exciting to me (want to know whats hidden there, since it probably the most dangerous area :D)

Also, if the world will be hand-crafted, will there only ever be one version (that is, same world on every playthrough)?

Is it be possible to have the hand-crafted areas be randomly pieced together (the transition areas could be an issue) or several official hand-crafted maps (you would chose the "random" layout, then make the transition areas pretty)?

This game looks like it will be visually stunning, but I wonder what replay value there will be without some variation in playthroughs (beyond player choices). For instance, one of my favorite games is Might and Magic VII, but the problem I have playing it is that the world is static. All the best secrets aren't secrets after one playthrough, all of the interesting twists don't exist, etc.

Judging by the "experiencial" nature of the game, I am not sure right now which mechanics they are creating to help bring players back for a second play through.

I am not sure what the gameplay is though... so hard to comment.

Ideally they would create a gameplay loop that is ultra satisfying much like the original doom for example, where clearing a room and enemy encounters are always satisfying.... even if the room is the same as one you played before.

I do like the idea of a handcrafted environment because it means that the gameplay is considered more in its construction.... yet I have no idea what the base gameplay is at all yet, so hard to really comment once again.

After all this time and reading / viewing as much as I could on this game, I am still unsure what the player does and what the "gameplay" is. It would be nice to have a blog post detailing that at a point!
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer

Yep - they are underneath this map. There is a lot of subterranean areas, that map is just the top level.

Agreed. We plan to address this by making your choices permanently affect the world as much as possible. This is a long-term goal, but we hope to do this by making creatures go extinct (if you kill them), allowing you to dig into the terrain, and generally making choices that can't be undone. So while the map largely starts out the same every time, we hope that different playthroughs will have different properties. That's easier said than done though.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Flayra‌

You have no Idea how big the smile on my face was after reading your post :D
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    piecing together hand made pieces is certainly possible, but the effort to value ratio doesn't really make sense to us right now. i think we can agree, some of the most replayable games ever have static levels/worlds (Deus Ex, Skyrim, etc.), so there are certainly other ways of achieving that. maybe we'll do more procedural stuff in the future - for now, we wanna nail the core game.
  • ApollysisApollysis Join Date: 2014-07-21 Member: 197543Members
    That answers the question I had on whether some things could be procedural. Similar to Bioshock Infinite where the levels were the same but if you reloaded you would find that chests contained different items that the previous load.
  • PogoPPogoP Environment Artist Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25827Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation
    Wow, this is a really fantastic blog post. I'd love to see this be a weekly or bi-weekly thing. Some of those sound effects are SO Morrowind (silt striders!), but that's a good thing.. That game has some of the best immersion I've ever experienced in a game :)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Flayra wrote: »

Agreed. We plan to address this by making your choices permanently affect the world as much as possible. This is a long-term goal, but we hope to do this by making creatures go extinct (if you kill them), allowing you to dig into the terrain, and generally making choices that can't be undone. So while the map largely starts out the same every time, we hope that different playthroughs will have different properties. That's easier said than done though.

Isn't it a little bit to make people sensitive about "green stuff / save the planet" ?

As stated by Squeal_like_a_pig (SLAP..? oh my... ) we don't know much about the game. But permanent worlds suffer this kind of issues.

On multi player :
    As it is a game they will always be people that just gonna ruin the fun of others.

On Single player :
    The "role" will be played most of the time only once. Granted, it depends on the player style, but not many have replayed Oblivion and such (Skyrim etc). As the player put in it many hours and knowing the quest will be the exact same thing, it feels like doing the same thing again -> why bother.

Even with a procedural goal/quest/difficulty system the backbone will be the same.

Name a game, at some point keeping player interested is impossible. Quests are completed, huge piles of money earned / stolen are now in safes, in my castle, and the world is peaceful again.

There lies the dev challenge. Keeping the player (rookies as old timers) glued as long as possible.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    oh come on.
    Still no mention of the sea onos.
  • Alo_InfinitumAlo_Infinitum Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213670Members
    I'm curious, will there be a map editor that anyone can pickup? If you added that it would increase the replay value by an astonishing amount. Also you would have thousands of creative minds testing the limits of your game for you.