Anyone with GREAT patience willing to help?

LunSeiLunSei Tarnax IV Join Date: 2014-06-21 Member: 196674Members
So, I started playing this game. And it's really awesome!!!

...But I'm really, really bad at it. I know from my experience with fighting games that it requires patience to learn, but I've really given an embarassing exploit so far. May be because I'm not used to first person games.

I'm focusing on the aliens first, and haven't tried the marines yet if not in the short tutorial. I'll go with the marines once I started to learn how to play.

I have some questions:

1) Is there a way to keep a map somewhere on the screen? The fact the map is only visible by holding C is a bit of a problem for me. I often get lost. My poor sense of direction!

2) Is there a way to target a marine, or to leap at him, as a skulk? Because as much as I sneak and try to climb on walls, the marines move too fast for me to get a bite.

3) Should I save my evolution points instead of spending them often?

4) What do I exactly need to do? I get very confused. I tried to press X and then ask for a map ping, and then follow the circles on the map. Is that good, for starters?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    edited June 2014
    1) No, but the more you play the better you get with directions and vents/rooms etc. Many people run around with their maps on just to see what is happening in other places. [This can also relate in random deaths b/c you are not paying attention]

2) Once you get the upgrade for skulk you can leap at them. However, prior to that as a skulk try not to engage marines when you are by yourself. Generally the game is designed so that a marine v skulk (same level) would result with a marine win.

The best way to get to marines in early game is to parasite them (2nd weapon for skulks looks like a needle), and then using shift sneak up on them and bite twice. You can usually get 2 bites in without dying but that 3rd bite is a problem a lot of times, so early game (prior to armor 1 for marines) this is the best way to deal with them.

When Lerks come out, skulks should mostly bite res and engage marines less, the marines are likely to get upgrades by this point and the skulks do a lot more team damage by keeping marine res down.

When Fades come out lerks and skulks should be hitting res/structure (and start taking powers down too, the time delay is a pain for marines to deal with), if Lerks have Umbra then they should be helping support the fades etc.

3) Some of it was explained prior but, you need to get teammates together to take down res and structures. A lot of people focus more on the killing each other part of the game and less on the economics. If you keep the other teams money down they cannot afford to replace structures easily, med or ammo the troops or keep getting enough p-res for weapons.

Being able to sneak through an open lane with another teammate or 2 can wreck a lot of havoc on the marine team. I know I'll rush with others and we just keep hitting the arms lab or another structure, which is costly to replace and can leave marines temporarily weaker which makes it easier for your team to kill them.

Being able to talk with you teammates is key, getting them to work together is kind of hard, but the more you play the more you get to know people and it is easier to work together.

Sorry it is a novel.

I play with some other regular people on CM and TA House of Awesome/Horrors if we are on at the same time join the reddit Mumble, and ask any questions. People from the community are usually pretty nice to new people unless they are acting like a poop... :p

Bad grammar.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    Just some basic tips for Skulking.
    • Never go in alone if you're not sure you can handle it. Tag em with parasite (weapon 2) or wait for reinforcements
    • Try and time your bites, do not press and hold the attack button. This way it's easier to keep track of the marine. And make sure you keep an eye on his movement direction when you bite.
    • Marines tend to jump a lot, so try and aim upwards a bit so you can keep an eye on them
    • Sometimes marines try and jump over you, keep that in mind when you bite and lose track of them
    • Use the ceiling, the initial idea behind this was that FPs players tend to have their focus on eye and floor level. But this is a smaller community so this rule tends to be less effetive after being killed by ceiling Skulks
    • Use cover, crates, pipes, other marines etc...
    • Practice wall and ceiling walking, floor Skulks tend to be dead meat
    • Wall jumping increases your speed, it's a bit tricky to learn but once you hear the skulk grunting sound when jumping of a wall you gain a abit of speed

Plus jumping from wall to wall will make you a harder target to shoot at
    • Mid game you are basically a building eater, RT's mostly. If you have the resources it's time to invest into some other lifeforms
    • Oh and I've got this basic rules of engagement video :P (both teams mostly)

-YouTube is a great place for NS2 resources on this stuff, just search for it and ye shall find awesome stuff
    • You are a fragile ambusher, 10 bullets and you're done for. the rifle has 50 bullets, so keep an eye on your HP and run when you can. Bob and weave as much as you can to try and get away.
    • This is a team game, you team mates are the best resource you have. If they are shooting you, they aren't shooting them and viceverse :)

I've got my map key bound to one of my mousebuttons, easier to popup the map while moving. C key is way too cumbersome...

And the maps are indeed complex, this is something that we all have with new maps. You will learn the layouts the more you play

Remember to have FUN! :D
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    I recommend going Gorge. Stay behind the "frontline" and help the commander build structures and ofc your own. You will learn a lot, about all Alien and Marine structures, mechanics and strategies too. Skulk is hard as a beginner, you will die a lot and it can be very frustrating. As a Gorge you might die less often and still do very meaningful stuff.
    When you can afford it, try out higher lifeforms. Maybe there is one that really fits your playstyle.

Oh yea, "Rookie Friendly" servers arent "Rookie Only" and therefor not always rookie friendly at all. There should be a Rookie Only server somewhere that is well admined (is it still up?)
    You shouldn't Command yet. Thats where you can get harsh reactions from the players if you do. Otherwise you should be able to ask anything anytime and get a good answer.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @LunSei I recommend checking out It's Super Effective's tutorial video series. Covers a lot of the basics and some more advanced elements:
    Natural Selection 2 - Tactical Operations
    Granted these were done a year ago, but pretty much all of it still applies. Good luck! :)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Join servers that run ns2+, if you press escape you'll find an additional ns2+ menu where you can tweak HUD settings among other things. It'll allow you to set the minimap to a toggle key, and increase it's transparency, so if you wish you can keep your minimap open all the time like that(not recommended, but I guess it's a good way to learn maps fast).

Biting marines is somewhat of an art, combining timing and movement. It's hard to teach, just something you need to learn by experience. you can start with trying out ambushes, like hiding right behind a corner and jumping in a marines face when he approaches (timing is crucial).
  • LunSeiLunSei Tarnax IV Join Date: 2014-06-21 Member: 196674Members
    Thanks a lot, guys. These are all very helpful replies. I didn't even know I could switch to another weapon when playing as a skulk!

So weapon2, the parasite... does it tags them or does it have other effects too?

And how do I walljump?

More importantly, in an attempt to bind the map key to the center button of the mouse, I accidentally screwed up the keybindings, and can't reset them!! I've tried to delete the options file and restart the game, but nothing changed! :(
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Parasite lets you see the marine through walls, what direction he is facing, what weapon he is hold, i would always say try and parasite your marine, then attempt to ambush or sneak around and flank him as you can see what he is doing and where he is going before it wares off.

Also before marines upgrade to Armour 1, if you parasite the marine it dose 10 damage meaning you will only need to bite him 2 times for the kill, other wise it takes 3 bites, Just practice it a bit, and you will get the hang of things
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    After some time you will get the feeling on how many shots a marine has left in his rifle before he has to reload. So try to get the marine to the point of reloading and then go in and kill him. This can happen quite easily, when the marine is shooting at some structures (cysts, resource towers) or at other aliens.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    I've not had that problem with the key bindings.

To wall jump you want to be moving in whatever direction you are heading and glance off the walls to gain a speed boost. Don't jump straight at the walls

ISE has good tutorials and can probably explain it better

• AlicethechainAlicethechain Nunya Join Date: 2013-10-18 Member: 188753Members
    edited June 2014
    I help out when I see new players. My alias in game is Blu3. Feel free to add me on steam if you have questions or to flag me down in game if you see me.
  • LunSeiLunSei Tarnax IV Join Date: 2014-06-21 Member: 196674Members
    Hey guys it's still me!
    Just wanted to keep you updated on the situation.
    Now I know how to play (what is the game about and how to control the characters). But I must say, I'm still terribly weak! It's really hard for me to get a kill in. :P
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I suggest watching some streams on Twitch.tv ! You can learn incredible amounts of stuff there, if you are willing to spend some time watching.

From the top of my head:

http://www.twitch.tv/joshhhy_/profile/pastBroadcasts

http://www.twitch.tv/gold_n/profile/pastBroadcasts

http://www.twitch.tv/syknik/profile/pastBroadcasts

I also stream from time to time :p

http://www.twitch.tv/cmdrkeenns2/profile/pastBroadcasts
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @LunSei‌ Welcome to the game and forums. I have about 600 hrs on me, and I still suck. Learning to play well definitely takes time. I think I was useless til I had about 100 hrs playing. If you think Dark Souls is brutal, you haven't played NS2. Everyone above already offered very good advice.

Something you don't learn til you have had alot of hours of play is map sense and learning to use the environment to your advantage. Your early life forms (skulks really) are crap in an open room because marines (good ones) make sure they have alot of distances between entrance and them. It is actually hard to restraint yourself to just parasite them and wait for them to come to you. The other thing that took me a long time to learn (or unlearn) is not to jump and bite when marines jump (when you jump, your trajectory is predictable). I have had alot more success getting marines by staying on the ground and just bite when I am close.
    Also when I say to use the environment to your advantage, I mean hide behind stuff. More often then not, when a marine see you, they will start to fire, and keep firing even when you hide behind a box or pillar, til they run out of ammo (its actually hard to remember to fire in burst and stop firing when your target is out of sight). You come out and take them down when they are reloading (watch out for the pistol though).
    Have fun.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @LunSei‌ in case you haven't checked it out, there is a manual on the New Player Forums (like a paper manual). Also, the wiki is very helpful with game mechanics and things. link here: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Main_Page
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    edited August 2014
    Build 267 added Added hit sound feedback for server-confirmed hits. The volume slider is in the Sound options.
    It is really helping me understand when I am missing and what works etc. In the early skulk game when you do the "parasite-bite-bite" routine you can make that last hit with confidence after hearing two beeps already. Gotta watch for med pack drops though.