Subnautica Achievements

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
I was wondering what type of achievements would work for Subnautica and how far UWE had thought about using achievements.

Personally I'd like achievements that take you towards goals and targets rather than, you've collected 10million samples of warper DNA etc.
This thread came up because I see UWE have been testing achievements in Sub..

SubnauticaAchievement_zpsb4e8d931.png

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Agreed. Achievements rthat hours of grinding would be entirely unfitting. Achievements are nice to have, though.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think a mixture would be fine, if all achievements are done within an hour of playing, they aren't really achievements. Probably everyone should have 1-2 achievements after an hour, maybe 5 more after 10 hours, and then achievements could take maybe 1-5 hours per achievements after that. So after 50 hours of playing an average player would have most but not all achievements.
    If every achievements can be unlocked in a single session with a cheatsheet or similar, it because a pretty useless feature.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Yeah I agree, but it is the same in almost all the games I played, you cannot unlock 100% of the achievements for the first session. For instance, you need to switch the difficulty or play with some conditions. But it really depends how long the game takes. Wait & see, personally, achievements in a game aren't so important but always cool to see in a one player game.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    - Achievements are a good way to extend the life of a game. Given the smaller scope UWE has alluded to for SN, this makes sense.
    - Achievements can also be used towards unlocking certain types of "fun" gameplay not directly related to the game plot (e.g. unlock 50% of achievements and you get to play a minigame as a ScubaGorge)
    - Achievements get annoying when you have to try the same thing 100 times to get it right (unless that's just a side effect of playing the game normally).
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    But achievements that require you to do something 100 times, or just be lucky are also things that are more special once you get them, and show them off. So it's something you show your friends, and that they would then play the game even more to achieve, and show off themselves. Ofcourse, it should only be a few rare or special ones, that require luck, skill or repetition.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Once a game gets to that point, I usually stop playing.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2014
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Once a game gets to that point, I usually stop playing.

That's where I start playing ;)