Empty servers?

Nyuu?Nyuu? Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172070Members
edited August 2014 in Technical Support
Hey,

I came back to this game after a long long time. I played it only a few weeks after release and my PC couldn't handle it. Now it can and I thought I give it another try but all I see are empty servers besides 1 or 2 that are full and it takes ages to get a slot...

Is there anything I missed? Looking through the forums, the community seems active enough for more than 1-2 servers to fill up...? All these mods are new to me, too. Do I need a special mod to see more servers?
I've installed NS2+ and some other mod from this thread, but there are still nearly no servers to play on :/

I'm from EU if that's important.

Thanks for the answers :)

Oh: and when I find a server I often can't join because it says "Couldn't establish connection to the server". I disabled steam overlay, that helped a bit but the problem is still there :/

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    First of all welcome,

you don't have to install any mods yourself as the servers mount those mods and clients download them automatically at connect. Subscribing to ns2 mod just safes you the time ingame of downloading the mods + some mods like ns2+ have some client functions you can use from the menu if you mount them.

Make sure you have no filters enabled and all mods disabled when you open the server browser. Also maybe lowering the value of Steam -> Settings -> In-Game -> In-Game server browser: may pings /min has proven to help.

Also make sure your firewall is not blocking.

If all this doesnt help please read this and create a tech_support.zip

A temp fix btw is using wepsites like https://www.gametracker.com/search/ns2/

Also i will move this thread into the Tech Support section ;)
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    It's under investigation, but most client crashes or hangins depends on the server.
    Today I played on the server that was running yesterday too, and I had not a single glitch!!! With activated Phys multithread of course. ...But maybe it's just my imagination...
    I'm just saying, that some servers are stable after 267 build, some became not... mb it depends on the server's OS...
  • Nyuu?Nyuu? Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172070Members

[...] Also maybe lowering the value of Steam -> Settings -> In-Game -> In-Game server browser: may pings /min has proven to help. [...]

That did it for me. Lowered it to 500, thanks mate! I was going crazy over here trying to figure out why I could not connect to most of the servers! :) I also find some more servers now, even though I have the same filters as before. :)
  • Nyuu?Nyuu? Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172070Members
    Now it does not work anymore. I can connect to some of the servers through a web-server browser and console command. On those servers I get kicked because I don't have 50h of playtime. This is getting really frustrating and I'm about to just leave the game be because nothing works...
    I tried:
    -Verify game cache
    -opening ports UDP 27000-27015/27016
    -disable steam overlay
    -changed filters (max ping lowered was a suggestion in the forums)
    -disabled anti-virus and windows firewall completly

Any other suggestions?

The log.txt always shows:
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    You can try my server at ns2.ibisgaming.com

We do not kick for playtime or anything like that so if you have an issue there it is something on your end.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Nyuu?‌
    We need more data from you to help.
    This is more than likely a router or ISP related issue.

Give us all the data you can, like the model of your router, the software version used, your ISP, are you wireless or wired, have you tried DMZing your router etc etc